compilation of remixes?

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

j the teacher

compilation of remixes?

Post by j the teacher » 27 Sep 2004 15:17

Would there ever be a chance of having a compilation featuring ALL the remixes done by 808 STATE? Or would the logistics be impossible, such as getting the rights from all the other record labels and artists etc. If it were at all possible, it would need to be 5 or more disks. Until then, it is always nice to happen across one either on an independent radio program or in a shop.

markus

Post by markus » 27 Sep 2004 22:06

I would have thought the logistics would be a nightmare, but then again others have managed. The Orb and The Aphex Twin spring to mind, others anyone?
It would probably need good management, someone really into the project and willing to invest and do a lot of research. Don't see much hope then. :-?

Mark

Post by Mark » 27 Sep 2004 22:48

I've managed to collect most 808/Massey remixes (still awaiting a few - with help from the very kind Mr King) and I have made 5 CD's of 808 remixes. The only way to get them altogether is MP3. I don't think that a compilation will ever see the light. A best of....remixes would be nice, but then again everyone's tastes will be totally different.

It'll never happen, luckily there are those of us who can compile our own.

graham

Post by graham » 28 Sep 2004 12:57

Id love to do this idea,but again there has to be a demand
its all economics..Traclk list suggestions for the best 10 ?
I still play owner of a lonely heart when I dj,and light in darkness

Ancodia

Post by Ancodia » 28 Sep 2004 13:34

Is this open to all mixes or only those credited to 808, obviously there's:
FSOL, The Shamen & Bambaataa.

Mark

Post by Mark » 28 Sep 2004 17:03

Light in Darkness, King Of Comedy & Made Of Stone would HAVE to be there.

BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN » 28 Sep 2004 23:23

Top 10 remixes, I'll give it a go (but inc' Massey mixes)-not in any order of Preference:

1.Goldfrap-Human (Neanderthal mix) Fantastic!
2.Surfcoasters-wasteland
3.Santa cruz-Heaven Only Knows
4.Locust-your selfish ways
5.YMO-Light in Darkness
6.Pizzicato 5-tailer music
7.Hooverphonic-Club Montepulciano
8.Stone Roses-Made of stone
9.McTunes-DYSTD(Basless mix) not truely a remix but kindof.
10.Texas-Halo (mix)

11.Spaceheads-low pressure
12.REM-King of comedy
13.Jon Hassel-voiceprint (808 mix)
14.Shamen-Human NRG
15.Certain Ratio-Flight
16.TC95-Just Get Up And Dance
17.Bjork-Modern things (instrumental) love the song but would love to hear it on its own as it is a stunning piece of music. Any chance of it as an MP3 on the site?
18.Electronic-Dissapointed.
19.YMO-Rydeen
20.Manson-Skinup Pinup

Well managed to narrow it down to 20 leaving out loads of good tracks. I have seen similar albums of artists remixes. Ive got one by Jack Dangers (MBM) and I have seen a chemical brothers release of remixes back in about 1998. So perhaps it is posible??

nickking

Post by nickking » 28 Sep 2004 23:28

If I had to choose...

808 mixes:

Tom Jones, David Bowie (possibly), Rolf Harris (definitely - this is a classic), Electronic, Quincy Jones, TC '95, Criminal Element Orchestra, New Order (Blue Monday), REM, Stone Roses, Soft Ballet (Body To Body), Yes, YMO (Light In Darkness)

Massey mixes:

Future Sound Of London, The Shamen, YMO (Rydeen), Primal Scream, Spaceheads, Bjork (Army Of Me), Sainkho Namtchylak

There are many more (and I have all of them, bar the Shimmer CD single - which I managed to grab a copy from someone!).

So many, so difficult to decide!

l8rs,

Nick ;)

nickking

Post by nickking » 28 Sep 2004 23:31

Actually the one put up by Badger will do, but add in a Rolf Harris mix there! :wink:

BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN » 29 Sep 2004 16:54

Forgot FSOL-that would definately be there, and sound and vision (the electric blue instrumental), and I would alow the rolf harris one in as well. I would also want Magga Stina - Heartbomb, although you would have to remove DYSTD and that would be a shame.

You could be looking at a 3cd box set: 808 remixes, Massey remixes and lastly 808 collaborations.

Although I would probably go for the mixed up versions of the collaborations, which really defeats the idea of the collaboration cd:

Lopez-unregrettable, One in ten-forceable labotomy, ooops-mellow birds, bond-bonded, TORTB-instrumental 7" version - better make that the original etc etc.....

By the way Nick is there any way of getting Modern things without the vocal. Has the demo version in the boxset got the vocals? I nearly bought it but couldnt justify the expense for the one new track.

IanPeel

Post by IanPeel » 30 Sep 2004 11:01

> It would probably need good management,
> someone really into the project and willing to
> invest and do a lot of research.

That's me. I'd be well up for doing this. And for releasing it on Karvavena [www.karvavena.com]. I've had a 'Best of 808 Remixes' and 'Best of MasseyMixes' on my wish-list since I started the label.

It would be a question of economics as someone said -- not in terms of how many might sell, but more in terms of what the copyright owners would want to license the tracks... I'll happily start making enquiries once the next Karavena release hits the decks...

BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN » 30 Sep 2004 16:27

How brilliant would that be!!

There is a danger of including the songs because of the artist and not because of the quality of the song. Perhaps it would be useful if us fans could give an indication of our favourites, perhaps in a poll?

nickking

Post by nickking » 30 Sep 2004 16:44

BADGERMAN wrote:By the way Nick is there any way of getting Modern things without the vocal. Has the demo version in the boxset got the vocals? I nearly bought it but couldnt justify the expense for the one new track.
Good question, I'll listen to it again tonight - I've forgotten! :P

l8rs,

Nick ;)

PeteZarustica

Post by PeteZarustica » 30 Sep 2004 19:54

Quincy Jones, Rolf Harris, New Order, Bjork, Lamb, Elctronic, REM, Yes, Stone Roses, YMO, Bambaataa, Frankie Goes to Hollywood

There's cd one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess they could imput some different versions/never released mixes. I'm sure there's a dub/instrumental mix of Disappointed and a dozen different mixes of Yes :D :D :D :D

Pete

Post by Pete » 01 Oct 2004 01:02

Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden