Prebuild

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Ancodia

Post by Ancodia » 08 Oct 2004 13:03

Finally Captain Kirk can sod away off, my copy of Prebuild has turned up. Have to admit though, his cover of Common People is a cracker.

L8RS,
John

Mark

Post by Mark » 09 Oct 2004 18:22

Wrote a long detailed review last night, only to find that whilst writing it, the forum was undergoing maintenence and wouldn't accept the post doh!

I ain't typin it all again, so in a nutshell....Buy it it's brilliant.

the DJ

Post by the DJ » 14 Oct 2004 16:45

Got both the 12" and the LP back on Saturday. Absolutely nothing short of genius. Does anyone know if Prebuild has got on to the UK Album charts at all?
I'm glad that Prebuild got released because it is a great accompaniment to the Newbuild album. Whatever style of Dance music you listen to/compose I have always found that Newbuild (and now Prebuild) have been albums that have taught me the fundamental issues of Dance music, a kind of blueprint for any composer.

PeteZarustica

Post by PeteZarustica » 14 Oct 2004 17:03

IMHO the trilogy comprises NewBuild, PreBuild and Recharge - by Biting Tongues. I recommend everyone that liked Prebuild to buy it.

markus

Post by markus » 25 Oct 2004 14:21

Well put Pete Z, I've been meaning to add a picture of Recharge to the 808 index page for a while, just haven't got round yet...

In other news, I have just heard that the re-release of the now deleted Rephlex Newbuild album is going ahead! No word yet if it's both the triple vinyl and CD or CD only.

SteveC

Post by SteveC » 25 Oct 2004 21:26

Theres a short and sweet review of Prebuild in City Life, they give it 8/10.

Not got mine yet, probably order it from play.com soon

Electronic Dave

Post by Electronic Dave » 03 Nov 2004 15:50

Hello Guys

Talking of Newbuild I have had it on pre-order with HMV for about 6 months or so and it finally arrived this week. Thank you HMV. I think you all my still be able to get it if you don't mind the wait. I had several e-mails from HMV saying we are out of stock of the following item but we are contacting our suppliers etc.......my patience paid off. I have to say it was worth the wait. I suggest you try HMV Online and see if its still there.

I have also got Pre-build from Amazon this week and I'm suprised how the quality varies on each track.

Oh and two weeks ago I got Utd State 90 for £12 on ebay. I'm a happy bunny. :D

markus

Post by markus » 04 Nov 2004 00:21

Hello Dave, nice ones! Don't know if you read the news page, but Newbuild was out of print and has in fact been repressed by Rephlex. That would explain why HMV have suddendly got it back in stock. Please continue any further discussion about Newbuild in the newly-created Newbuild thread:
http://www.808state.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1042

Yes, the variation in sound quality on Prebuild is extreme. Have you read the sleeve notes? It explains a bit, well the source of the recordings. And Richard James (Aphex Twin) insisted it all stayed analogue.

Electronic Dave

Post by Electronic Dave » 04 Nov 2004 12:59

Yes markus just read that bit in the sleeve this morning. I didn't expect it to be that extreme tho LOL. Anyway sometimes it best not to muck around with the original recordings. You can lose certain sounds etc. Can't turn it up that loud on my PC tho sounds very distorted eek

big raff

Post by big raff » 04 Nov 2004 19:00

got my copy yesterday. prebuild is ace. it feels like a piece of the early 808state jigsaw has popped into place.
when it thanks´sean and rob´ for digging out the tape(s), is that autechre? and why did they have them?
cheers
marcus

graham

Post by graham » 04 Nov 2004 20:19

yes it was Autechre ,we were just talking about Newbuild and I said there was more from around then,I rememberered automatic and ride ,were on a reel to reel, There was another long track called "shoot that pig big f*** off acid mixing desk) well thats what it says on the box this didnt appear on Prebuild in the end (probably too long)..That was on the origenal tape for Sean,also another track which is the sister track to sync swim,featuring the casio rZ1 drum machine so isnt as authenticly acid ,Another track left off was Twighlight
a jam me and Gerald did in his corkland rd flat..When I borrowed a reel to reel machine to transfer some of this stuff I rediscoverd a radio session with 3 tracks on..Plus lots of other stuff for instance theres some stuff me and Martin produced (well wrote quite a bit of) for a group called Technosis..The Majority of Prebuild is the contents of the cd I made for Sean and Rob. So that sparked the Idea to release it

big raff

Post by big raff » 05 Nov 2004 16:40

brilliant !
would love to hear some of those other tracks, especially the one with the RZ-1
was the rz-1 used for the little vocal stabs we hear on these early tracks? steve poindexter´s early productions relied heavily on that machine.....

what is geralds opinion on prebuild?

cheers again,
marcus

nickking

Post by nickking » 05 Nov 2004 17:13

what is geralds opinion on prebuild?
Funnily enough there is an interview with Gerald by Stuart Aitken (the guy who interviewed Graham for BBC Manchester recently) in this month's "Undercover" magazine. The whole article (about a page long) is about Prebuild and Blue Monday.

Here's a little quote:

"He (Massey) sent me a CD with a load of stuff and said he was moving and he'd found it behind a cupboard. I remember giving him some tapes years ago. I'd always sort of wondered what I did with them. Listening back to them I was like 'Wow'."

There's also some quotes from Gerald on the official Gerald website here where he comments and adds some stuff to Ken's notes.

l8rs,

Nick ;)
Last edited by nickking on 05 Nov 2004 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

markus

Post by markus » 05 Nov 2004 22:10

When I spoke with Gerald last month he seemed very pleased with Prebuild and said that he had thought that he would never hear that material again.

SteveC

Post by SteveC » 09 Dec 2004 20:29

Finally got mine yesterday from HMV in Bath, great stuff on first listen, I feel 16 years younger.