NEWBUILD

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

newbuild

NEWBUILD

Post by newbuild »

THE STATEMENT BY GRAHAM OF 'ONE WINTER WEEKEND IN JANUARY' IN THIS MONTH'S MOJO INDICATES THAT NEWBUILD WAS RECORDED IN JANUARY 1988, AND MOJO STATES RELEASED IN APRIL???

HOWEVER, COLLECTED STATEMENTS BY GRAHAM IN THE LINER NOTES OF PREBUILD INDICATE THAT NO RECORDINGS WERE MADE BEFORE THE MARCH 1988 THERMO KINGS PERFORMANCE...

IS THE RECORDING DATE IN FACT JUNE 1988? THIS WOULD CERTAINLY MAKE MORE SENE TO ME, ESPECIALLY AFTER HEARING THE MAY 1988 RADIO BROADCAST OF K.NARCOSSA, WHICH TO ME SOUNDS VERY MUCH LIKE A ROUGH VERSION OF COMPULSION...SEEMS TO ME THERE IS SIMPLY A MISPRINT ON THE NEWBUILD CD-NOT JAN 1988-BUT RATHER JUN 1988???

OR I COULD BE MISTAKEN, AS I WASN'T THERE (I WAS ONLY FIVE-OR SIX-YEARS OLD AND LIVING IN MESA, ARIZONA AT THE TIME)

NEWBUILD WAS RECORDED IN JUNE 1988, AND RELEASED IN LATE SUMMER 1988...AM I NOT ENTIRELY CORRECT IN MY ASSUMPTION???
graham

Post by graham »

88 will be a bit foggy,and dates cant be relied upon ..(it would be easy now with computers) but here are some dates from my address book in 88 that ive recently found in an old record sleeve which might help.
weekend of 23/24th july just says studio .(.house ) this could be it.
friday 4 th march hip hop gig at boardwalk..think this is where thermo kings would be recorded.
theres un identified recording on weekend of march26thand april 8 till 10
something under barry white on april 13th(probably massonix just a little more)..roadrider warehouse party on sunday 8th may..a lot of biting tongues recording in may..unidentified recording in june and a hitsquad gig in stockton on sat 18th june (wheres that?) a gig in wrexham on mon 20th june and another gig in wrexham on 11th july (or may be it moved ) a gig in congleton
(again hitsquad but would include acid set) think 23 24 july looks likely to be the newbuild session) oh 25 th july radio manchester so that would tie in with the similaritys on the 303 sequencer etc . exams on 26 27 (school of sound recording) and overnight session on 27th july could be so hot with a break to go to hacienda with it then automanik.. 1st august gig in wrexham (another ?) strawberry studios for a fewdays in aug 11 (this will be biting tongues love out etc) gig board walk on sat 13th (Hitsquad in quad) studio weekend french band..20 th 21 august (this was the bennets from paris produced via eastern bloc).. october 3 4 and 5 barton ..this will be edward not edward album .
oct 8/9 th spin masters with mc shine ,animal,pcycho. ,12 oct mor tongues.
24th october international one bbc radio manchester with inspirals there should be a tape of this knocking about but i dont have it it was on the radio.
track with dave booth (cant remember this at all) 27th 29thoct.
there s huge holes in this little book so its not accurate and it crosses over with my filo fax (how 80s is that) heres a page that says 6 nights in 8 track £300 ,2 nights in 16 track £200. hitsquad 2 nights £100,jackula half night £50
rough and tough acid track with alan hempsall half night £20
acid cut up £50 think these are studio costs ..
oh heres some more two full 16 track days 28 th 29th dec 1987 and a day in 8 track sun 3rd jan 88 could this be Jitsquad Mcr then it says record cut 13th jan which i could have confused with newbuild in the past and would make sense if it were hitsquad...Ill be back with my filofax dates ..but hope this clears some of it up
graham

Post by graham »

theres a big chunk of 88 missing from the filofax theres a page march 88 28th monday tr 909 serial number 438519 ..(dont thin kthis is day of purchase.)
april 7 th Liverpool (gig on the outskirts of liverpool in like a youth centre?) hitsquad. saturday 9th Dave Caine (daz and andys builder mate come rapper)
then it jumps to nov 88,sat19th 20 th peel session (this is beginings of quadrastate) 23 tongues 25th Inside out (manchester electro funk band with donald johnsons brother on bass)
friday 2 till sunday 4th peel session/mixed with a spinmasters session
dec 6th the Ritz as state 808 /a guy called gerald/tackhead sound system for steve barkers on the wire xmas bash. 8thdec Barton gerald and me do "born in the north" on granada tvs otherside of midnight get paid £70
9 10 11 in studio various including Celebate Genetalia (martins mates a girl boy duo with ded hair and piercings viewed with great suspician from the crew)this stuff sounds like qudrastate ..I still have the tapes and is heavily programmed over by me and martin.
wed 14th dec gig in Chester (some gay club with James Taylor quartet on downstairs .just me martin and gerald)friday studio ?17 warehouse party? sunday Studio cancelled (I wonder why?) wednesday 21 dec do outfront sound for Gerald at the Hacienda..friday 30 31st up in oldham programming with Gerald at his girlfriends.
3rd 4th jan 89 tongues5 th eastern bloc?spinners 6th tongues 7 th 8 th think this is quadrastate taking place ..lets see 11th jan 909 for london gig (dingwalls maybe ,,gig as 808 /a guy called Gerald and edward Barton0
12 editing
13 mix two tracks
14 th mix disco state and do mix of state to state for alison (for scam comp)(says not 808 album money)
15 th barton track (dear dumb fat dad ) me and gerald with darrens sister and geralds girlfriends niece..(never released)
16 edirt tracks ring snub tv(brenda kelly)
17 editing
18 interview for get out fanzine
19th mix barton dear dumb
20 tongues (take the backright off) and finish state ritual
21 more barton and tongues
22 finish disco state and chinatown ,then tongues in evening
23 mtv jingle with stakker,china town editing
24 more editing
25 move from forrest range house
26 dance yourself to death mc tunes a track called system for 808(??)
27 magical dream (also says spim masters video,some mates of andy was making?)or possably snub tv
30 artwork meeting with mick peak (quadrastate)
1st feb move to new flat dickinson rd.
3 rdfriday it says snub tv (not shure if this is filming or broadcast,doing dance ypourself to death in basement of eastern bloc)
4th warehouse party
5th sunday says studio techno sax 9 hrs (This is PacificState)
6 th same more 808 10 hrs
7th 808 10 hours
8 th teach ing /overdubs and mix???
9book cut (Presumably for quadrastate)
10 the ruthless rap assasins (with gerald for barton z bend ?)
11 12 808 studio sessions ?
16 to18 th square one Bury Inspiral carpets //engineer and produce Joe ep
19 th tongues
20 Kiss AMC for barton
21 celebate genetalia
22 meeting with ron
23 chester gig (again)
24 editing inspirals and kiss amc
25 tongues
26 tongues 808
27 inspirals
28 Chefs from tandoori (social Chaos)
1 marcjh photo shoot (tongues)
2 nd Thunderdome.heather track (massonix)
3 massonix)
6/7 rehease ????808 rehearse
9 thursday Thunderdome (was it a gig ?)
10 tongues (tackhead soun system gig in evening
11 sat Snub tv (diferent programme) gig with Happy Mondays( international galso gig in glasgow transport museum at 4 am)
12 smiths mega mix 9 hrs
13inspirals
14 granada (could be pacific on osom)
15inspirals
16 tongues
17 maqssonix
18no studio ..Thunderdome
sunday smiths mega mix
20 21 london ?
22 5 hrs Mohamed (remic ham safir )eric the german (now mobys manager)
23Transfer tongues 16 tracks to 24 at amazons old studio in lliverpool
24 25 26 asia fields (band from oldham inspirit studios)
27 th barton/808 satate
28 29 barton
30 more tape transfers
31 tunes s party
1 march paul morley up to see us
2 808 studio

im taking a break now need to eat

nickking

Post by nickking »

graham wrote:dec 6th the Ritz as state 808 /a guy called gerald/tackhead sound system for steve barkers on the wire xmas bash.
Here's the flyer:

l8rs,

Nick ;)
Last edited by nickking on 16 Apr 2009 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
newbuild

NEWBUILD RECORDING DATES++

Post by newbuild »

WOW!

I AM PLEASANTLY SURPRISED THAT GRAHAM WOULD KINDLY TAKE TIME TO DIG OUT THIS INFO! NICE TO SEE THOSE SCANS ON THE NEWBUILD PAGE, TOO...

VERY INTERESTING AND SURPRISING DISCOVERIES...

THIS WILL BE A REFERENCE FOR ANY CURIOSITIES WHICH MAY ARISE CONCERNING THE 1987-1989 TIMELINE...

THANKS GRAHAM!

REGARDS-JAMES
newbuild

6 dec 88 the Ritz /a guy called gerald/tackhead/808 state

Post by newbuild »

i find it ironic that +808 state is in small print at the bottom of the page
cool flyer, though
nickking

Post by nickking »

Yes, I'd always wondered that too... Maybe 'Voodoo Ray' had been issued beforehand and was more well known at that time?

Still, it would have been a great gig to have been at! :D
PeteZarustica

Post by PeteZarustica »

Im still praying for that Smiths mega mix to surface...
nickking

Post by nickking »

Originally quoted in the forum before the previous messages disappeared:

"...through the eighties On The Wire slowly built a reputation beyond Lancashire and the North West, throughout the UK and onwards, before the internet, via cassette to the outer reaches, Greece, Sweden, Australia, Italy, USA ... The show was fairly expansive: releasing a compilation 'Bugs On The Wire', putting on The Fall free at Clitheroe Castle when 2,500 people turned up, an Xmas party at the Ritz in Manchester including Sherwood with Gary Clail, 808 State, A Guy Called Gerald, Little Annie and a heavily pregnant Neneh Cherry absconding from a Bomb The Bass gig. First radio plays for in the UK for Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson and the radio premier of 808 State's 'Pacific State'.

As the Nineties turned OTW was under threat from the BBC as new leaves were turned, but at the last minute the show was saved by the BBC board pegging the show as a "unique BBC product". But the heady days of three hours on a Sunday afternoon were over, as in the BBC speech and sport ruled. And so OTW has wandered the airwaves within the BBC schedules ever since."

Leghorn records looked as though it was an outlet either for Skysaw (connections with Gerald's Rham! label) or Steve Barker of "On The Wire" radio show.

Also, Gerald's "Voodoo Ray" EP was released in October 1988, so the reason for Gerald's name being prominent was probably because "Voodoo Ray" was more popular at the time.

Oh, and here's a photo of 808 back in 1988:

l8rs,

Nick ;)
Last edited by nickking on 28 Feb 2005 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
nickking

Post by nickking »

Also, I've finally updated the release dates for 808/Gerald on the Gerald webpage:
  • 808 State's "Newbuild" was actually released in August 1988 before "Let Yourself Go" in November 1988.
    The original "Voodoo Ray" EP was released in October 1988, whereas the remix wasn't released until March 1989.
    The "Hot Lemonade" LP was released in March 1989 (although there were white label copies existing far back as November 1988).
    The original Peel Sessions EP on Strange Fruit was released in July 1989
l8rs,

Nick ;)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Finally (!), here's a live review from the NME of 27th August 1988:

808 STATE - LIVE

MANCHESTER BOARDWALK

CENTRE DANCE-floor stands a boy in dungarees, stripey T-shirt and trainers. A frightening vision, glassy eyes fixed on an imaginary point two feet in front. He grasps a bottle of Coke in one hand, with the other he forms an OK sign and sways rapidly back and forthwith arm raised aloft, oblivious to the preposterousness of his pose.

All around him people are moving to the music like flower-pot men, heads swivelling like slow-motion mime artists and palms moving up and down. There are homeboys, scallies, Bhangra casuals and hippies.

One day they'll look back on all this and be terribly embarrassed, but for now it doesn't matter. When the woodwork creaks, out come the freaks, but when it's Acid House night everyone is a weirdo.

Few are in a state of mind to notice the alternation between records and live tracks. And 808 State are that good. Back in the days when the London scene was still too hooked up in its'70s phase to notice the beginnings of a new House movement, this lot were experimenting.

They huddle round the DJ box engrossed in their experimental sounds. Graham of Biting Tongues takes to the mixing desk, various others bend over a complicated array of sequencers and keyboards, frenziedly twiddling and tapping. The main man is a guy called Gerald who can currently be heard on a RHAM Records 12".

A thick, choking white smog falls over the club from the 808 State dry ice machine; coloured by the psychedelic green and orange amoeba shapes projected on to the white-sheeted walls. Far out man.

l8rs,

Nick ;)
graham

Post by graham »

as i was saying before the crash.. i ve been putting some more scans together,,have got that one in nme though,,who wrote that..?
DrY ICE ,I do miss it ,the smell mmmmmmm!
nickking

Post by nickking »

Just checked out the copy of NME - the reviewer was Sarah Champion (the author of "...And God Created Manchester" fame)! :D

l8rs,

Nick ;)
nickking

Post by nickking »

A review of the 'On The Wire' gig at the Ritz from the 1988 Christmas issue of the NME:

ON THE WIRE CHRISTMAS BALL
MANCHESTER RITZ

ROLL UP! Roll up! all you freaky people! Outside the tinsel-strewn Ritz ballroom are parked coaches boasting the name of such far-away towns as Chester, Colwyn Bay, Wigan and Rochdale. From all over Northern England hundreds have travelled to pay tribute to the God of BBC Radio Lancashire, Steve Barker. Tonight is the Christmas knees-up for his On The Wire programme. And it's an extravaganza of hippness and insanity.

Welcome to the lunatic asylum. Home of Annie 'Anxiety' Sandoz. The Crass-girl shambles on to the stage with hair cropped, fag hanging out her mouth and black fingerless gloves concealing her hands. The Liza Minelli of One Little Indian Records, she bursts into a rendition of her single 'As I Lie In Your Arms', like the eccentric old lady who buys her 'glamour' from Oxfam. But this is nothing compared to the eccentric nature of the audience . . . This is On The Wire's three-way listenership. One third gang anarcho hippies, one third youthful homeboys . . . and one third dope-smoking, middle-aged civil servants!

Dungaree-clad 808 State and Brylcream boy A Guy Called Gerald are next on the bill with a hour of live House mixing. There is not a 'real' instrument anywhere, just wires, keyboards, microphones and tables of jiggling computers until they are joined by rap crew The Spinmasters to liven things up. This is where the dancing really begins.

Finally it's Tackhead tape time! Looking like a fat, ex-con bouncer Gary Clail begins the megatrip, rapping out the words of 'Half Cut For Confidence' with the balding genius of Adrian Sherwood at his side. The world is visibly shaken, Steve Barker grins and scenes of madness and hysteria continue late into the night.

Sarah Champion
nickking

Post by nickking »

(Removed Edward Barton gig and replaced with On The Wire gig) :D