Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

extended pleasure

Postby nav » 05 Sep 2005 23:17

Has anyone got the extended pleasure of dance on CD? WAS IT RELEASED ON CD HELP
nav

Postby PeteZarustica » 06 Sep 2005 05:28

PeteZarustica

Postby nickking » 06 Sep 2005 11:53

Yup, if Ian Peel or the band have never seen a copy, then it's extremely unlikely it exists... If it does (and I've never seen a copy for sale in the 15 odd years that Extended Pleasures has been out), then it will only be a handful of copies that exist...

There and again, this year I've managed to buy the Pacific cassette single (for 25p!) and found the elusive Mohamed CD single (with the 808 mix of 'Ham Safar' on it), so you never know...

Now to try and find the promo tape of 'License To Thrill' (the film which has recently become available on DVD) and the extremely scarce Shimmer CD single of 'Take Arms' (with the exclusive Massey mixes)... So far, I only know of one person (Smiley) who has this... :)

If you find a copy of Extended Pleasures Of Dance on CD (or know of someone who has one), then please let us all know that at least it exists! 8)
nickking

Postby SteveC » 06 Sep 2005 14:45

Somebody must know if it was actually made on CD, if so it WILL exist, if it was never pressed as a CD then it wont. Whats ZTT's stance on this, did they release it on CD, has anybody ever asked ? 15 years of not knowing is getting a bit silly, its time we put this mystery to bed once and for all, as well as that monster in the loch.
SteveC

Postby solarex » 07 Sep 2005 13:03

nickking wrote:Now to try and find the promo tape of 'License To Thrill' (the film which has recently become available on DVD) ...

I have the tape. I must admit, and I am very happy about that. When I come to think of it, the MC Tunes track on that is exclusive. Isn't it? I better make an MP3 of that one fast for your delight.

I also have the original US and UK releases of the VHS. Is that sick? I never went see it the hole way through, but I better go and find the DVD (even more sick).

Anyone know the exact release date of the US VHS. My best guess is that it was released before any Tommy Boy 808 stuff making it the first ever US media containing 808 State (sick trainspotting). Also, why on earth was ZTT stuff licensed to this underground film production in the first place?
Last edited by solarex on 07 Sep 2005 13:27, edited 2 times in total.
solarex

Postby solarex » 07 Sep 2005 13:13

SteveC wrote:Somebody must know if it was actually made on CD, if so it WILL exist, if it was never pressed as a CD then it wont. Whats ZTT's stance on this, did they release it on CD, has anybody ever asked ? 15 years of not knowing is getting a bit silly, its time we put this mystery to bed once and for all, as well as that monster in the loch.

Nobody at ZTT will be able to answer that I am sure. Unless they find a CD somewhere around the place. Record labels mess around a lot and ZTT is notorious for being messy. It 15 years ago etc.

On the other hand 7" acetates and vinylmaster was cut. Eventhough they were not released as well. I have a whitelabel of the 7". It contains edits of Cobra and Ancodia. The latter was used for a video, where the visuals are Pacific cuts in slowmotion.
solarex

Postby nickking » 07 Sep 2005 14:48

solarex wrote:
nickking wrote:Now to try and find the promo tape of 'License To Thrill' (the film which has recently become available on DVD) ...

I have the tape. I must admit, and I am very happy about that. When I come to think of it, the MC Tunes track on that is exclusive. Isn't it? I better make an MP3 of that one fast for your delight.

I also have the original US and UK releases of the VHS. Is that sick? I never went see it the hole way through, but I better go and find the DVD (even more sick).

Anyone know the exact release date of the US VHS. My best guess is that it was released before any Tommy Boy 808 stuff making it the first ever US media containing 808 State (sick trainspotting). Also, why on earth was ZTT stuff licensed to this underground film production in the first place?

Well, I've got the VHS tape - must get round to buying the DVD (recently released a 4xDVD box set in the US), but yes, the MC Tunes track "Dance Yourself To Death" and (I *think*) the version of "Pacific State" is exclusive to the tape/VHS/DVD.

As for why they licensed it to the film in the first place, presumably Greg Stumps was a big ZTT fan? :-?
nickking

Postby nickking » 07 Sep 2005 14:50

solarex wrote:
SteveC wrote:Somebody must know if it was actually made on CD, if so it WILL exist, if it was never pressed as a CD then it wont. Whats ZTT's stance on this, did they release it on CD, has anybody ever asked ? 15 years of not knowing is getting a bit silly, its time we put this mystery to bed once and for all, as well as that monster in the loch.

Nobody at ZTT will be able to answer that I am sure. Unless they find a CD somewhere around the place. Record labels mess around a lot and ZTT is notorious for being messy. It 15 years ago etc.

On the other hand 7" acetates and vinylmaster was cut. Eventhough they were not released as well. I have a whitelabel of the 7". It contains edits of Cobra and Ancodia. The latter was used for a video, where the visuals are Pacific cuts in slowmotion.

Yup, still trying to find the 7" promo/acetate - wish me luck! :D

If Ian Peel has never seen the CD - been meaning to send him an e-mail asking that very question, then I doubt whether it ever existed...
nickking

Postby solarex » 07 Sep 2005 14:57

nickking wrote:As for why they licensed it to the film in the first place, presumably Greg Stumps was a big ZTT fan? :-?

Must rather be a fan of Nasty Rox Inc. As the label was very silent (near bankroupt) at the time and non of the classic ZTT stuff is in the film.
solarex

Postby markus » 07 Sep 2005 20:13

Yes Greg Stump was (is?) a big ZTT-music fan.
To get back to the original question, I wouldn't be surprised if it existed as a CD-R.
markus

Postby graham » 09 Sep 2005 09:56

i think the promo s were all on cassette back then..i dont have it on cd.
graham

Postby nav » 10 Sep 2005 14:50

If grahams not got it on cd then its like the loch ness monster,a myth !!!

lets get it release on cd !!!
nav

808 State - Extended pleasure of dance CD Single

Postby Naveed » 18 Jun 2008 00:43

I have no proof of this but I am sure that I saw this CD single a number of times during 1990 in Manchester. I can't remember the name of the shop (was it called "Compact"?) but it was a small record shop at the very back of the Arndale Center (upper level). I never bought it because I was a "hard-up" student at the time! That shop used to get hold of all the local-releases and promos so its no surprise that at least they had some copies. I can't remember ever seeing the cd single in Eastern Bloc - the one place you'd expect it to be found.

I've been trying to get hold of it myself the last few years and came across a copy on a Swiss website about 3 years ago - but someone else got to it before I did :(
Naveed

Postby nickking » 18 Jun 2008 02:15

Well, that sounds plausible, and I still have an open mind about it.

Graham should remember what that record shop was called?

8)
nickking

Postby SteveC » 18 Jun 2008 22:46

If this CD did exist then Nick King would already have it :), if it does appear then I'll eat something I put on my head.
SteveC

Next

Return to 808 State discussion