The Freemasons are Russell Small and James Wiltshire. 'Shakedown' is a combination of original new material and their best remix work with an impressive cross section of vocalists that's enough to make the best producers in the world envious.
CD1 kicks proceedings off in fine style, with the phenomenal Freemasons remix of 'Deja Vu'. A mix that Radio 1 decided to play instead of the original and that so impressed the booty-shaking diva, she commissioned the boys to do an entire remix album of her latest long player 'B-Day'. Alongside recent' and much loved' remixes for the likes of Fatboy Slim' soulstress Angie Stone and Dirty Old Ann, the album's first CD also features some phenomenal new material from the duo.
'I Feel Like', featuring long-term cohort Amanda Wilson, is the Freemasons at their funk-laden best, taking a brilliant song from California's favourite deep houser Kaskade, a carefree disco sensibility, and giving it their unique, modern twist. "Atlantic" is a beautifully-crafted Balearic houser' which breaks 'Pacific', a track sampling the legendary sax riff from 808 State's record of the same name. Interestingly it seems this part is just a saxapella - hinting at a possible future production from the Freemasons. 'Nothin' But a Heartache' is an epic, Northern Soul inspired number that gives a glitterball nod to Heaven 17, while the album's next single 'Rain Down Love', featuring Siedah Garrett, is a yearning slice of sensual, sweat-soaked funky house.
CD2 features the pair's breakthrough anthem 'Love On My Mind', which spent six weeks in the UK charts, peaking at Number 11, alongside their follow up single 'Watchin' and remixes for the likes of Luther Vandross, Herd and Fitz and Heather Headley. Also included is a sultry, bubbling interpretation of Rose Royce's 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore', a track that has been covered by everyone from Madonna to Jimmy Nail, and is, in this case, vocalled perfectly by Judie Tzuke. 'When You Touch Me', features the soaring vocals of Katherine Ellis and the phenomenal 'Desperados', a tequila-drenched, trumpet-laden monster, is guaranteed to be one of the album's dancefloor highlights.
Alongside the two mixed CDs of 'Shakedown' the Freemasons have also provided full length pre-encoded versions of six of the album's biggest tracks - Atlantic, I'm Not Alone Now, Desperados, Vacancies and Walken 'Boy (Meets Girl) - perfect for all of the DJs out there.
2. Deja Vu-Beyonce [Freemasons Remix]
3. Zap Me Lovely-Trick Vs Freemasons
4. I Feel Like-Freemasons Feat. Amanda Wilson
6. Pacific-Freemasons [Saxapella]
7. Right Here Right Now-Fatboy Slim [Freemasons Remix]
8. Love Sensation-Loleatta Holloway [Freemasons Remix]
9. Mesmerized-Faith Evans [Freemasons Remix]
10. Nothing But A Heartache-Freemasons
11. I Wasn't Kidding-Angie Stone [Freemasons Remix]
12. Rain Down Love-Freemasons Feat. Siedah Garrett
13. Most Precious Love-Blaze [Freemasons Remix]
14. Turn Me On-Dirty Old Ann [Freemasons Remix]
Special Bonus Encoded Tracks (Full Length Versions)
16. You're Not Alone Now
19. Boy (Meets Girl)-Walken
1. In My Mind-Heather Headley [Freemasons Remix]
2. Love On My Mind-Freemasons Feat. Amanda Wilson
4. Love Don't Live Here Anymore-Freemasons Feat. Judie Tzuke
5. Take Me To The Sun-Disco Freaks [Freemasons Remix]
6. C'mon Get It On-Studio B [Freemasons Dub Mix]
7. Boy (Meets Girl)-Walken
8. When You Touch Me-Freemasons Feat. Katherine Ellis
9. Shine-Luther Vandross [Freemasons Remix]
10. Watchin-Freemasons Feat. Amanda Wilson
12. I'm Not Alone Now-Freemasons Feat. Julie Thompson
13. I Just Can't Get Enough-Herd & Fitz [Freemasons Remix]
14. Rain Down Love-Freemasons Feat. Siedah Garrett [After Hours Mix]
Bonus Tracks for HMV
15. Watchin [After Hours Mix]
16. Love On My Mind [After Hours Mix]