Cubik Strangeways Question

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

BADGERMAN

Cubik Strangeways Question

Post by BADGERMAN »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before - tried search but nothing showed up.

I read somewhere on the internet that the police blasted the rooftop protesters with cubik to get them to go in - but it had the opposite effect and they started to dance to it. Cant remember where I saw it written.

Is it true?
graham

Post by graham »

There was an 808 show that pretended to be live from the roof of strangeways prison while the riot was going on ,and it wasnt far off as Sunset Radios roof overlooked Strangeways..could of taken on as an urban myth or it could be entirely true..They may also of had a radio up there with the show on. it went on over a week I think.
Is that up on the archive , and is the first show up on the archive with Martin?
keep bumping into people who claim to have tapes but theyre internet shy.
BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN »

Cheers Graham. I keep searching for lost tapes of 808 live on the internet but have'nt had much luck. Its good that we have the site for unreleased material!
markus

Post by markus »

graham wrote:There was an 808 show that pretended to be live from the roof of strangeways prison while the riot was going on ,and it wasnt far off as Sunset Radios roof overlooked Strangeways..could of taken on as an urban myth or it could be entirely true..They may also of had a radio up there with the show on. it went on over a week I think.
Is that up on the archive , and is the first show up on the archive with Martin?
keep bumping into people who claim to have tapes but theyre internet shy.
No, we don't have the Strangeways radio show. I assume you are referring to 3 April 1990 show. No Martin on there, just Andy & Darren. Then again we've only got 84 out of 180 minutes... Date wise it would tie in with the Strangeways riot (1 April 1990), unless the date of the show is incorrect. Just listened to it again, no Strangeways references, only one poll-tax jingle and there's a shout to a certain Gaz Massey, can't understand a word of Andy's message :) Great show though!
Shame that the two people who could tell us more are pretty internet shy... common Andy, didn't you mention you know someone who claims he's got every single 808 radio show on tape???
P.S. There is a radio show from 2000 which is 'sponsered' by Strangeways (Roofie tribute).