US Single Mixes

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

US Single Mixes

Postby De Lillie » 25 Jul 2007 21:26

Hi All

The US mixes of Pacific, Cubik and Ooops [maybe others] never appeared on album and the rights belong to, i presume, the producers (Frankie Bones / Krupper). Could these mixes ever appear on the CD reissues? As far as I know 808 State do not own the rights to these mixes. FGTH and AON lost the rights to the Trevor Horn / ZTT 12" mixes after a legal wrangle.

Anybody have any ideas?

DarkLord333
De Lillie

Postby dee3 » 26 Jul 2007 11:47

As far as I'm informed, the usual working procedure in the biz,
is that remixers don't pertain the rights to whatever remixes, they make.
Yes, they get credited, but are usually paid a flat-fee for services rendered,
and that's pretty much it.

But if memory serves me correct, the majority of the Tommy Boy issued remixes were commissioned by Tommy Boy,
and ZTT (nor 808 State) didn't really have anything to do with them (as in approving them etc.);
I believe that I read this somewhere else in this forum, but please correct me, if I'm wrong.

One thing is certain though - unless 808 State licensed their tracks to ZTT (like PSB and Pink Floyd does with EMI),
chances are that the releasing label will still be sitting on the rights...

Apparently a common practice, which FGTH and AON weren't aware of... :wink:

That being said, the question here is, at the end of the day, who holds the rights to the U.S.-remixes - Tommy Boy or ZTT?
That (obviously) depends on the licensing deal that Tommy Boy has (had?) with ZTT.
If any...
dee3

US Single Mixes

Postby De Lillie » 26 Jul 2007 14:02

Thanks

Yeah, the US mixes were commissioned by Tommy Boy and are owned by Tommy Boy. 808 State or ZTT or someone still owns the master tapes. FGTH was a Trevor Horn driven production hype. FGTH never played any instruments apparently so ZTT or whoever can do any manner of things with the Master tapes but Trevor Horn's productions belong to him. Not sure of the AON arrangement though, but the GH with the 12" Trevor Horn productions may no longer be sold.

The reason for my question is. What did these 808 US mixes promote? The US market has always been geared to album sales. Only Pacific 718 made it onto any album, and then only onto the CD edition of Utd. State 90.

These were genuine US mixes by US producers, unlike many of the mixes of the 80s when Brit producers did US mixes for the US market (and never issued them there). Confused? I am.

De Lillie
De Lillie

Postby Cobra Bora » 31 Jul 2007 15:32

US mixes were usually made to push a record into the US Dance Charts, which at that time meant selling a lot of records. A high chart position in the Dance Chart also pushed sales of the album.

Anyway I doubt that the US mixes were done without approval by ZTT. First of all, the remixers need the multi track masters in order to do a proper remix. Also some remixes made it back to Europe. Cubik Tomix is remixed by Tom Richardson and Eric Kupper and was released by ZTT (ZANG 5TX).
Cobra Bora

Postby De Lillie » 31 Jul 2007 17:53

Cobra Bora wrote:US mixes were usually made to push a record into the US Dance Charts, which at that time meant selling a lot of records. A high chart position in the Dance Chart also pushed sales of the album.

Anyway I doubt that the US mixes were done without approval by ZTT. First of all, the remixers need the multi track masters in order to do a proper remix. Also some remixes made it back to Europe. Cubik Tomix is remixed by Tom Richardson and Eric Kupper and was released by ZTT (ZANG 5TX).

You're right. I forgot about Cubik Tomix. And it was an album track too. I do remember, just now, the way the US dance charts were in the mid 80s. Loads of 'New Wave' tracks made it to number one. Yaz(oo), Thompson Twins, Shamen, Saint Etienne. Wham.

Thanks for jogging my memory
SKA333
De Lillie

Return to 808 State discussion