globalstate-the label...?

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

globalstate-the label...?

Postby 'Steve' » 06 Aug 2007 22:34

Yo,

I noticed (I think after reading the 808 State chart entry attempt thread) that the likes of Spooky have made their music available on their own label, named after their website. If Spooky can do this, surely 808 State, who were once probably the biggest selling British techno group, can. It would be a good platform to release old and new music by 808 State and its related projects.

Would that be even possible? The free downloads are excellent but perhaps some special unreleased stuff or reissues would be better suited to a CD release? For example the other old acid-period tracks that never made it onto the Rephlex reissues or old stuff like Switzerland.

Ok maybe that last sentence is just a fantasy but seriously if Spooky are doing a record label why can't we (not to sound like 'oh if Spooky can do it anyone can' because they are a great group but 808 State are too)?
'Steve'

Re: globalstate-the label...?

Postby De Lillie » 06 Aug 2007 23:56

'Steve' wrote:Yo,

I noticed (I think after reading the 808 State chart entry attempt thread) that the likes of Spooky have made their music available on their own label, named after their website.
Would that be even possible? The free downloads are excellent but perhaps some special unreleased stuff or reissues would be better suited to a CD release?

Yeah my friend. You don't need a label to chart. The CD is dead. Even the US Idols winners release DL only EPs. Simply Red and Marillion have done this. The problem is that dance music traditionally sold predominantly on vinyl 12'', but that all changed when a certain hot shot producer managed to place THREE tracks from the same EP on the UK charts. And just check the multiple entries by another hotshop hip hip producer. Many of his entries are DL album tracks.

We SHOULD do something. I'm your only reply, so i guess it wouldn't happen. We have enough free tracks and two free albums so we dont need to buy ANYTHING :x

SKA333
De Lillie

Return to 808 State discussion