RIP Tony Wilson

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Pob

RIP Tony Wilson

Post by Pob »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manc ... 941392.stm

Tony Wilson has died. He will be sadly missed. :(
Last edited by Pob on 03 Sep 2007 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
808state's Tartan Army

Post by 808state's Tartan Army »

Rest In Peace. :(
PeteZarustica

Post by PeteZarustica »

I'm shocked.

RIP Tony
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Whenever Tony Wilson appeared on a programme, I had to watch as I knew it would be something cutting edge.

He was an iconic figure and the original Mr Cool.

He'll be sadly missed.
markus

Post by markus »

He will be missed. Rest in peace.
Last edited by markus on 03 Sep 2007 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
markus

Post by markus »

The BBC Essential mix by Pete Tong and Mike Pickering was essential. And now I have a reason to move this into the 808 topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/essentialmix/
Hour 1
Pete Tong Factory

Joy Division 'Transmission' (Factory)
Joy Division 'She’s Lost Control' (Factory)
A Certain Ratio 'Shack Up' (Factory)
A Certain Ratio 'Knife Slits Water' (Factory)
Joy Division 'Atmosphere' (Factory)
Durutti Column 'Otis' (Factory)
New Order 'Confusion' (Factory)
New Order 'True Dub' (Factory)
New Order 'True Faith (Morel Pink Mix)' (Factory)
Happy Mondays 'Step On (Accapella)' (Factory)
Happy Mondays 'Hallelujah (Oakenfold Remix)' (Factory)
New Order 'Fine Time (Steve Silk Hurley Remix)' (Factory)
New Order 'Blue Monday (Original)' (Factory)
New Order '5-8-6' (Factory)
Electronic 'Getting Away With It (Nude Mix)' (Factory)
Electronic 'Getting Away With It (Original Mix)' (Factory)

Hour 2
Mike Pickering Hacienda

Marshal Jefferson 'Move Your Body' (Trax)
Hashim 'Al Naafiysh' (BCM)
Orange Lemon 'Dreams Of Santa Anna' (Champion)
Adonis 'No Way Back' (London)
Tcoy 'Carino' (Deconstruction)
Jomanda 'Make My Body Rock' (BCM)
Kenny Jammin Jason 'Can U Dance (Bonus Jack)' (Champion)
Rhythm Is Rhythm 'Nude Photo' (Transmat)
808 State 'Pacific State' (ZTT)
Marshall Jefferson 'Open Our Eyes' (FFRR)
Inner City 'Good Life (Derrick May Remix)' (10 Records)
Stirling Void 'Its Alright' (Dance Division)
A Guy Called Gerald 'Voodoo Ray' (Warlock)
Ce Ce Rogers 'Someday' (Atlantic)

http://www.divshare.com/download/1736876-ca1
De Lillie

Post by De Lillie »

808state's Tartan Army wrote:Rest In Peace. :(
And have that Ceremony In A Lonely Place
Factory Forever
SKAM333
solarex

Post by solarex »

markus wrote:The BBC Essential mix by Pete Tong and Mike Pickering was essential. And now I have a reason to move this into the 808 topic.
Whoa. I was not aware of that tribute. Will snatch tonight.
solarex

Post by solarex »

markus

Post by markus »

The Granada tribute is now online at http://www.itvlocal.com (choose Granada).
mezerik

Post by mezerik »

R.I.P. Tony.
markus

Post by markus »

Graham, what are your BitingTongues / 808state memories of Tony?
solarex

Post by solarex »

I can't make out if Pickerings usage of the old 12"es is good or bad. Especially the Dreams of Santa Anna 12" is totally worn out. Of course it is historically nice that it might indeed be that very 12" from the Nude nights and the old school mixing. But damn it is scuffy.
graham

Post by graham »

Ill have a go!
I did nt know him that well ,but he was always kind of present .When you did meet him he was all ego and yet egoless as he made you feel what you were doing was as important as anything at that
point in time. Biting Tongues 1st got involved with Factory when making Feverhouse (a 16 mm black and white film),Started on a grant from North West Arts the project was running out of money at the edit stage and I think Howard (Walmsley ) knew him as a fellow Didsbury resident.(he d sometimes be round at Richard Boons house,which was near Wilsons house ,Howards house and the Factory offices all in one square 1/4 mile .Any way Tony offered to put some money up to complete tthe film and also some editing facilitys in his basement,which is where IKON video 1st lived. He also was into doing a soundtrack album just to make it a bit more over the top. Im not shure that he ever liked Biting Tongues but that would never stop him putting our records out if you asked him ,it was always
more important that you believed in it,I dont remember having any other champions of our cause at Factory it was odd that we were there at all..The artwork was always a priority and I think it was Tony that hooked us up with Trevor Johnson
(though we did know him socialy as well) (Howard did Feverhouse cover,Trevor did Troublehand and Compressor both took an age so he kept up the Factory tradition,but pre photoshop things did take a while longer). The Tongues would occasionaly go and blag some records at the Pallatine rd office and it seemed to be run very efficiently by a lady called ....and her assistant Tina .

When 808state were growing out of the Hitsquad MCR era ,Tony came to see us perform above a pub ,I think it was Oldham or Bolton,I think Ron (our manager) had invited him.
It must have been pretty ramshakled hip hop crew of about 10 of us , He typicaly declared us to be the New Sex Pistols (more like the so solid crew gone wrong)not a mantle we wanted but I think it helped
raise ZTTs interest a bit more. Paul Morley from ZTT and Tony Wilson seemed to have a rivalry that fueled our situation ,I was never shure if they played it up but I remember a few barbed comments
as Morley walked in the Hac with us one night.But in the end it came down to us choosing between ZTT and Factory ,We had a long meeting @ Factory but there seemed to be more of a plan @ZTT
and Factory could seem like a ghost office sometimes.
Good job as Factory went bust a year later.
How ever during the coarse of all this, an important thing Tony did was put us on TV ,first of all doing Pacific ..There was nt a lot of planning it was do you want to do "The Otherside Of Midnight"on tuesday
,this would have been friday..and we d say yes and panic..We d only just finished mixing Pacific and we chose it so i could play the sax and look like we were not just twidddling knobs, Gerald was nt around but we knew it was an important thing to do ,so me and Martin turned up with a keyboard and a backing track on reel to reel we kept that in shot as you did in the 80s (very human legue/soft cell)
and my sax.. A bit later on (after 90 i think) we also did a pilot show for Tony that never came to the screen,(think it had the mondays on it too). A few weeks after the Pacific one ,I also did the show with
Gerald and Ed Barton and a singer called Viv doing "Born In The North" Eds acid anthem...We also later did another OSOM as A Guy Called Gerald doing Voodoo Ray when they had a rave at Victoria Baths and did the whole show from there..it looks a bit rubbish on the program as they filmed it at about 8pm it got a lot more raging later on, one pool was open with a PA and another boarded over as a dance floor. But what a great local TV thing ,happening stuff put on while its happening not months after it had died down,He was on it. (Yargo did the theme music for The Other Side Of Midnight,there was a Kieth Le Blanc remix that D&A used to drop at the Thunderdome). His 70s shows were important to us to see Joy Division at teatime and Devo and such made you feel you werent just in a subsidury of London ,that Manchester was on the cultural map.(the bbc local program was super trite and a stark contrast)
He also introduced us to Steve Lock who did that Granada documentary for Celebration on Madchester..and also there was that great Happy Mondays gig at the big Granada studio building on a Sunday afternoon,he was realy pulling in the scene and sticking it mainstream.
I used to sometimes run into Tony at the supermarket in some huge wafty black coat with his toenails painted black ,he would greet you with his customary "Darling!" and he d always make you feel that what you were doing was important and part of a bigger picture..He d make some wild connections that fitted you in...for instance when comparing at The Bridge water Hall Toolshed gig as part of In The City,,he said Sir John Barborolli would have been proud tonight ! Barborolli's bust greets you at the entrance of the hall , he was the Conductor of Manchesters Halle Orchestra and apparently they formed to do all the new radical music as they were sick of the classics back in the 1800s. He loved that Manchester of radical invention stuff ,a civic pride that was based on often forgotten stuff and that you can add to the legacy ..He certainly did .Well other people have said it all better (I liked Paul Morleys Obituary on him) , I cant claim to have known him that well but his encouragement and acknoledgement meant a lot to me.
markus

Post by markus »

Many thanks Graham, that makes for really interesting reading. Thanks for the insight.