808 state and equipment

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

808 state and equipment

Postby Rayla » 23 Oct 2007 13:39

I would think 808 state could make music with anything..Pots ans Pans, Spoons, bowls.

Is the band getting into these New Workstations like Motif, Fantom, M3 or do they just fire up the old yamahas sy's , junos-jupiters/ jx-8p, Moogs etc.?

Do they do computer recording, or analog?
Rayla

Postby graham » 23 Oct 2007 16:21

1988 89- just analogue .
89 -95 atari 1040 (Hybrid arts/cubase) to analogue to analogue tape
95 -99- mac (cubase)-to analogue to dat
99 -mac (cubase to protools. still using analogue kit
Today Mac (Logic) still lots of old keyboards ,plug ins anything goes
but generaly never used workstation type keyboards..

Thres so many factors that go into making an 808 record sound a certain way but theres a few id like to go and alter with my 2007 ears.
Sometimes we were in the studio for days at deafening volume and that had an effect,other times the mastering can effect the sound ,some of the Dats sound better than the cds for shure.,.. still learning..
graham

Postby graham » 23 Oct 2007 16:26

actualy EX EL was on a sony digital multitrack tape format.
Would be hard to get transfered i reckon..Unless they still have the machine at Revolution Studios (which is still going) .certain tracks on Ex El are on analogue multi track ..can you tell the diference?
Is there any studios you think sounded better on our stuff than others?
graham

Yeah You can tell the difference.

Postby Rayla » 23 Oct 2007 17:14

You can really hear the difference between 808 Cds, That happen alot in the 90's and even into 2000 with all types of music. Ex, el and Gorgeous totally different another.

Ive been thinking alot lately on the way I want to go about my own music making. Getting a Mac would be nice. Right now I write stuff On my PC using Fl Studio, My Korg synth and my Yamaha old synth. I do like the sound analogue better.

I am not very good... but the best Sound song I ever did was played using a JX-8p, and Boss Dr 202 into my Four track.

I go thru stages Some days I like ex; el the most then Gorgeous then Thermokings etc

I Enjoy The Soundscapes That you guys make in your songs it is incredible.

My best memory is the first time I heard LIFt, my Grandamother Use to play that Henry Mancini Song in Her over sized Cars. Italian in America.

I was like this is Something Great From the old and Made New and fresh.
Rayla

Postby Pob » 24 Oct 2007 12:29

graham wrote: theres a few id like to go and alter with my 2007 ears.

Which ones? And what would you change? It's probably too late now but a single track off each album updated for 2007 would be great on the re-releases.
Pob

Your asking my Advice?

Postby Rayla » 24 Oct 2007 14:01

Well Ideas for music are few in My Head, Because of my sit.
I Best All Time Flow for Me has to be Magical Dream into 808080808 into Revenge of the Girlie Men.

Individaul Songs To make ever great are Techno bell, Olympic, Empire,

Plan 9... Europa, Nimbus, did you guy get this song from the movie Plan 9?..Somehow I don't think so, but I have to Ask. And Does Europa Have One of The Crannberries singing?.

My all time Favorite that always Makes the latin people Scream is THe First Song on Thermokings I don't know it's name..

If I was Really good...I do I latin House Verison Of Techno Bell and Plan 9....

What I wanted to do before my accident Was add More Guitar to Dance Music Be It Techno, trance,.. I often listen to latin house besides 808 cause that has the most Guitar in it.

THe best thing when making a Song is if you can tap into Common thread of Reality, Mind, and thinking of a Generation, Wheather young or old, That's what guys do so well.

It looks lke latin House in making a come back, and there is the Miminal style I have a few Cds of thoses.

I guess the War In Iraq would be on young peoples minds in the USA, And Esp all the individual gun violence that is going on now, but I've Also, read alot about kids having ideas to make Robots to make food for the hungry, and Suck up Natural Disasteers, and Kids Like Alex's lemon Aide stand..they Start out early Raising Money For Cancer and Such, and then I read and article that These Two 7-9 year Old Boys are Preachers. Wow To that! My son What's to be A Pirate. That's Find by me We will sail around the World together.

I currently can only write electronic breaks, Songs that sound like they need to me on a horror movie. Has some DnB.
As i get beter I hope to expand my abilties.
Rayla

Postby Ancodia » 24 Oct 2007 14:42

Rayla wrote: And Does Europa Have One of The Crannberries singing?

The singer on Europa is Caroline Seaman best know for singing with This Mortal Coil and not the very annoying Dolores O'Riordan.

John
Ancodia

Postby markus » 24 Oct 2007 15:59

Ancodia wrote:and not the very annoying Dolores O'Riordan.
John
Amen to that! :)
markus

My Other Question About Equipment..If you only Has $500.

Postby Rayla » 24 Oct 2007 16:00

Ok Lets say You HAD Only $300-500 Buck USA. What Is The Best Old Synth the members of 808 Buy? What the Best Software You'd buy?
Rayla

Postby PatFromCanada » 31 Oct 2007 18:15

If had only $300-$500 I'd seriously seek out a Juno 106. I own one and it's wonderful to play with. (I use the Juno for bass and ambient sounds but i also use my Pro E or D 50 coz they tend to sound brighter than the Juno)

It's funny, you can make incredible sounding records with very little. My current studio is still using the 1040 st w cubase to arrange and control my midi gear. (including my akai s-612 for dirtay loops)

My mixing/ recording desk slaves the atari and it's amazingly easy to lay down bed tracks, then disconnect the atari and just overdub using Hardware drum machines. I also have the DR 202 and it's an underrated little workhorse. I get brillo stuff out of it with it's editing capabilites.

Current software I like on my PC is Fruity Loops and Reason. Reason is the 'shiznick' because it's laid out like a virtual rack mount based studio.
PatFromCanada

Thanks

Postby Rayla » 01 Nov 2007 21:22

Juno 106..sounds good.. I know the Dr 202,,is quite nice..but I sold it and some other equipment to get a mc-505. I got one cheap with the LCD screen broken..Maybe that's pretty silly...but I thought some Roland drum sounds would be good to try. The repair to it is more costly than I thought ..I was looking at a Roland JX-10 or Korg 01/w, but I'll look into THe Juno 106.

I heard about the Atarti St..and cubase being still used alot.

I use Fl also I like the songs I write with it..but it takes alot of my consentration, so I just use Sound forge and sony's acid.

Reason is great, sound is increable, but that is alot of $.
Rayla

Postby PatFromCanada » 01 Nov 2007 23:01

Yah... I pretty much compose loops with fruity on my P.C. and since I don't have a midi connection on my P.C. I sample my loop arrangements into my Akai S-612 at the right bmp of a track I'm working with and have fun triggering the loop off my Juno (then arranging it on atari cubase then dump it into the song if I like it by recording the arrangement)

Some gear heads must cringe at my set up but I like what the low fi of that old assed akai can do to a 'clinical' sounding loop off Fruity. Kinda compresses the source naturally and I love effin' round with it's hi pass low pass knob in realtime while recording to get that Norm Cook build up feeling.

It don't matter what you got. The possibilities are endless. I find working with limited gear and capabilities tends to push some recording artists to get into the gear much deeper than they would if they had too many options. Kind of a "hard done by" disipline I suppose. If I had 'too much' when I started out my stuff may not have had as much effort put into it since I'd only scratch the surface of what I have at my disposal 'could do'.

What I like about what 808 does in the studio - they keep up on most engineering tools yet they merge and utilize the charm and results of older generation gear. You can certainly hear that in their work and it's done so well.

If I do manage to upgrade to a Power Mac set up with all the VSTs I know I'll still connect all my analog gear and dump stuff into the sound card from it. Krike... I'll still use the atari to arrange 'parts' to dump into recording sessions.... I LOVE the atari ST cubase. It's very simple to figure out and use.

Cheers!
PatFromCanada

Oh YEah.. That's nice...

Postby Rayla » 03 Nov 2007 02:19

Those old Akais I read they are good..THey can create A sound You have to get One Of FL $150 plugins to do. Maxiums..or something and It still can be " clinical". I do songs with every free vst I can find. I can write nice songs with FL. THe Free plugins are good.
YEAh 808 state are really unigue. They write songs that just Sound So Great And With in the Genre..But not the same sounds that everybody uses..

I also enjoy buying strange loops and samples from Ebay and using them with Sony Music Studio. My Songs are not great..but they are interesting.
And it beats buying the $40 dollar loop libraries.

Now I have computer issues I was new to the PC World and Two Years ago I got an Emachine,,,it is suppose to be oh so fast and reliable..but let's just say a bunch of stuff is going wrong with it. THe TEch told me system restore..but I ain't yet. I got too much music on my computer, and last time I restored it I lost all of my music. Now, I'm just uninstalling and reinstalling everything.
I have to get GEt An External harddrive for my PC so I can back up my harddrive...Reinstall window xp, .and try to get another six months out of it So I can buy an old synth now and save for a Good Used MAC.

I know you got to have and intel mac, to use FL..I don't know their price, but it sounds expenisive.
....MY old ibook I had peak le, to recorded audio into the computer. and to sample . I also had The Tascam us 224 Running into Cubases for mac. It worked well.
I love FL..but I hate this PC..I'm told any PC would be better than an emachine.

Can A juno 106 do more sounds than the JX-8P?
Rayla

Postby graham » 03 Nov 2007 11:30

Juno 106 and JX8P are very different charecters..
The JX8P has digital oscilators and analogue filters making it a bit less
random and more plastic sounding..we used it for atmos stuff .lead sounds in Empire and string sounds on Nephatiti,Bells on Olympic..Unless you get a seperate programmer unit ,you have to do evry parameter through a primative lcd window..(Shimmer (group I did some mixes for,were the best guys on a JX8p ,they had the programmer unit)
Juno 106 is very warm sounding..Pads on Pacific (with d50) Bass on Sunrise
(sub oscilator only with chorus 2 setting and put into unison mode).Freako sounds on Olympic . Agresive bass on Donkey Doctor. Pads on Deepville.
graham

Postby graham » 03 Nov 2007 11:31

Id say the Juno 106 is a more worthwhile purchase.
graham

Next

Return to 808 State discussion