Q Review of OT

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Mark

Post by Mark » 12 Sep 2002 17:46

The latest Q mag has a review of OT, not good reading I'm afraid:

'After 15 years work, 808 State have ended up with a sound as distinctive as Brian May's guitar. OT features all the collectives trademarks - the ethereal guest vocals, the sinister synth patches, the appealing melodies and the gratuitous big noises. They demonstrate a comfortingly retro attitude with a track called 606. Then a light dusting of drum n bass trickery and appearances from members of Simian and Elbow add a contemporary sheen. Nonetheless, despite effective tracks such as the ominous Crossword, real inspiration is lacking. Maybe they're experiencing the Kraftwerk effect - when you have sounded like the future for so long, what happens when the rest of the world catches up? ** (out of 5)

Not a good review, they also give Underworld, Faithless and Death in Vegas less than great reviews with Death in Vegas managing a 3*, the other two same as 808. They seem to be rock orientated anyway, so perhaps dance isn't quite their scene. Still they do have a lot of readers, so lets hope it isn't to damaging to sales, after all I think it is a great album. Perhaps they know what they like too much to be objective reviewers, but hey, each to their own, right?

Pete

M8 Review

Post by Pete » 30 Sep 2002 17:22

just browsing mags in whsmiths, finally found a review of O.T. in M8 mag.
they gave it m3 out of m8. (they show the 3 faces on black background as an album cover)

they totally slag it off, but bring up the not as good as pacific bollox. they say how the mighty have fallen & that 808 should of quit while they were ahead (about 8 years ago). what wankers these reviewers are.

also what page is the record collector pick of the promos on? went through it twice - i must be blind as well as deaf! pardon

808state's Tartan Army

m8 review

Post by 808state's Tartan Army » 30 Sep 2002 22:43

M8 magazine is a load of wank. They do a review of club events in Scotland every week in the Sunday Mail and on June 2nd they were at Coloursfest. The editor (Mickey McGonagle) was the reviewer and he covered all the main acts apart from one. Yes, you guessed it. I quote: "I didn't fancy 808 State much so I went off and watched some non-entity in one of the tents". All right, I made up "some non-entity" cos I canny mind who he said he went to see while 808 were on, but it just shows that he doesn't know what he's talking about and what he does say is a load of toss. He is a wanker. I'm still looking forward to the album release (whenever that may be) as i'm sure everyone else on the board is. It's just a shame that the know-nothing fuckwits at m8, Q and whatever other musical bog-roll that decide to review O.T. seem to be doing their damned hardest to make sure that 808's return is a flop by putting people off the album, especially as it's been so long since their last major release and they need these bastards on their side to get them back in the spotlight again. Once again 808 will have to let their music do the talking and hopefully if 606 is as good as those that have heard it say it is then maybe a single release is a possibly, but then we come to the other obstacle, namely the shit-spewers at Radio 1. This album will be good, but getting it out to the masses isn't going to be easy by the looks of it :(

808 STATE ARE FUCKING GREAT :)
8080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808

Pete

Post by Pete » 01 Oct 2002 01:09

that was another thing they said in M8, - a piss poor perfomance @ coloursfest. they should have gone to a free event in castlefield where real people appreciate quality dance music, not the dribble that fills everyones heads right now.

O.T. is another classic album, not to be compared to any of its predecessors.

there will never be another pacific, cubik or in yer face. who wants to keep sounding like the same old stuff (no offence prodigy)!
we need new sounds, new ideas. all i hear around me is remixes, re-releases, cover versions - when is it gonna end!!!

Ian

808 album

Post by Ian » 01 Oct 2002 10:17

I wouldn't pay much attention to the reviews in Q or M8 magazine. Their opinion doesn't matter to me and I don't read either mag anyway. Q say the Underworld album is below average (2* the same as OT) but other people I know think it's a great album, one of their best. I'll make up my own mind about OT when I hear it myself.

Rodders

Post by Rodders » 01 Oct 2002 17:09

What I find ironic about the Q magazine "Brian May's guitar" comment is that if, sorry WHEN Queen re-release all their old shite again, Q will probably give it about 4 out of 5. I've stopped reading reviews, in my experience the best thing to do with anything is try it for yourself. If you don't like it, you can always get your money back.

Mark

Post by Mark » 01 Oct 2002 19:04

Yeah Q are a bit naff at reviews.

My mate Benny is a big Peter Gabriel fan, and Q absolutely raved over his new album. I heard it and it is really crap. It sounds very dated, nothing as elaborate as OT.

I think they find it hard to be unbiased as the mag is all about indie / rock anyway. Lets face it, they want to keep their readers don't they?

Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor » 02 Oct 2002 11:10

Q is a filthy rag written by sheep molesters, seemingly obsessed with the 'big' names in corporate rawk... :P

M8 mag is a minor-league wanna-be with about as much credibility as er, Q :P

I would imagine the other dance-press reviews will be similar except maybe Jockey Slut - it's just too easy to knock 808. Don Solaris was slagged by several of the big guns at the time (Muzik, Mixmag) but we all know how good the end result really was!

David

Post by David » 02 Oct 2002 17:46

This media blindness only confirms that these magazines only serve the public of what they already know-thus making the reader feel comfortable and more likely to buy the magazine-or-they are only part of the bigger corporate picture and aim to keep the fat cats with their profits.

I have been in despair at British music over the last ten years which has been fuelled by tv becoming even trashier(TFI Fridays etc).

How Oasis made it with banal Beatles tributes on the back of Madchester and the much more superior guitar bands that spawned-Stone Roses to name but one-defied belief and confirmed to me that the media control what we listen to and what is heard and what is successful.

The Chemical Brothers have also been lauded and can do no wrong whereas alot of thier albums sound Prodigy punk b-sides.

Another 'artist' and I use the term lightly is Norman Cook.
He remixes old stuff and makes trash and yet is loved by all apparently.
His loud mouthed wife was everywhere to sell him.
Then there is the endless boy bands and girl bands who are given unlimited coverage .

Even alot of people I know who like dance music seem to go on what mixmag tells them and stuff like 'The ten most important djs ever' is swallowed easily.You can bet that Chemicals,Cook,Underworld(only cos of Trainspotting),Oakenfold etc are in that list.

I noticed this before when Don Solaris came out.A true work of art and with beautiful singles released too.

Anyway on the flip side there would be nothing worse than every Tom,Dick and Harry jumping on 808's bandwagon with superficiality cos MixMag tells them 808 are now fashionable.

Imagine everybody playing 808 everywhere.There would ne no escape.

No let's keep this 808 magic our little secret.

markus

Post by markus » 02 Oct 2002 18:50

Nice one David!

PHILTERFORM

Post by PHILTERFORM » 03 Oct 2002 00:23

why believe what some twat writes, after all youve all got your own minds to make reviews, when you hear the album that is! and im not slagging you guys off just them mags i mean rags

808state's Tartan Army

Post by 808state's Tartan Army » 03 Oct 2002 11:06

[quote="Pete"]that was another thing they said in M8, - a piss poor perfomance @ coloursfest. they should have gone to a free event in castlefield where real people appreciate quality dance music, not the dribble that fills everyones heads right now.

I agree totally, especially after reading the other replies. Colourfest was full of kids who didn't have a clue what they were doing. They've all been brainwashed by magazines and Radio 1. 808's performance was good, it was just to the wrong crowd. Those kids weren't educated to the sound, therefore they didn't appreciate what they were listening to. They went mad for David Morales and Tall Paul because taht is what they've been told to listen to. I sat through both sets and there was no variation at all, it all sounded the same, then when a change comes along they don't like it. There was a twat at the front while 808 were on. He was on his mates shoulders shouting obcenities at Graham and telling them to get off because it was something different, because it wasn't norm, he was scared. When 808 finished and DJ Tiesto came on I thoght his head was going to fall off he got so excited because it was back to normality for them, back to the same tired old routine. Anyway, how can m8 comment on 808 @ Coloursfest when that twat of an editor who was reviewing it didn't even watch them?! 808's music is wasted on these arseholes!

markus

Record Collector

Post by markus » 04 Oct 2002 19:43

Pete wrote: also what page is the record collector pick of the promos on? went through it twice - i must be blind as well as deaf! pardon
Page 113