Question about Sheffield Octagon 1990 date(s).

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Question about Sheffield Octagon 1990 date(s).

Postby D - LS » 30 Oct 2008 03:04

Hi,

Bit new to this site obviously, but was wondering about Sheffield Octagon 1990 date(s).

I’ve had a look here: http://www.808state.com/live/1990/index.htm and it says 808 played in June 1990.

Does anybody know if they played earlier in the year at the Sheffield Octagon too? (Possibly sometime from mid-February to mid-April.)

Any help greatly appreciated.
D - LS

Postby markus » 30 Oct 2008 12:44

Graham, what does your filofax say?
markus

Postby graham » 30 Oct 2008 15:27

i have amsterdam fri 2nd march-
i have berlin sat 3rd march-
theres some blue peal mixing,MCTunes mixing at Sarm West
Jon Hassel mix
Gmex with the mondays
photo session for Tommy Boy,
Late Show
Conspiracy
made an mc tunes video the same night
cut a record at CTS in wembley
made mc tunes album
14th april gig @london docklands arena
made olympic 22nd april and tunes splits the atom 27th april (square one)
having recorded derums for it at strawberry a few days earlier
out of the blue studios for 3 days -doing tunes b sides?
3 days of editing and a TV (not shure what then i went on holiday for two weeks to the Seychelles (which was ace).coming back to a gig in leeds coloseum.26th may.totp may 29th- did a new mix of cubik the following day
cancer gig at Royals(old theatre royal in mcr)
more studio followed by uk tour starting newcastle monday 18th june
hits Shrffield thursday 28th-had my haircut by bruce on 29th
london asturia 30th
1st july ILL 2nd July -ILL.
the short answer would be No
jap tv in london 8th june. went to ibiza for a week and ku concert
graham

Postby graham » 30 Oct 2008 15:44

april 17 -dingwalls with Barton and Gerald and 808
april 27 -liverpool (was it a youth center or UNI)
june 11 89 free trade hall with ACR
june 28 -warwick uni?(no memory of this at all)
aug 89
3 aug middleton-Hippo"s (apparently Autechre came to this)
4th aug - Blackburn-(think this is the one where Tony Wilson delared us to be the next sex pistols)

My Filofax is by no means comprehensive despite the fact i used to have it on The "Filo Strap" and used to go out dancing with it strapped on.
The 1st time I met Emma around this time(in fac51) this is why we struck up a conversation about marketing the filostrap.-that and the fact I had a camera on a piece of string around my neck- I d been to some booklaunch in order to eat I had to pretend to be
a profesional photographer for City Life - obviously unconvincingly.
graham

Postby nickking » 30 Oct 2008 19:09

Blimey, I'll have to update some of 89 and 90 based on that! :)

Are you sure that the ACR gig was on the 11th and not 14th June 89?

I've also got the following for 1990:

Sat:16:Jun - 808 State Live - London.

???:??:Jun - 808 State Live - Ibiza 90, Ibiza (with The Farm & The Beloved) - Later broadcast on Channel 4 film "A Short Film About Chilling"

Fri:01:Jun - 808 State Live - Nuremberg - Germany.

Which seem to be missing from the Filofax, so I'm assuming they're wrong?

8)
nickking

Postby graham » 30 Oct 2008 19:27

yes sorry as you say 14th free trade hall
16th of june 90-says american interviews and tape transfers.

june 90 went ibiza sat 2nd the gig at Ku was thursday 7th(we played here twice-this isnt the one on optical..) it seems we flew back during this week to do TOTPs on wed 6th and went back to ibiza for the ku gig and then went home on the sat 9th..
fri 1st july-says jap tv london (think this is on you tube )it has only rhyme and pacific and short mc tunes speaking.
i dont remember ever going to nurenberg
graham

Postby nickking » 30 Oct 2008 19:40

Hmmm, that's not what this flyer says (although that could have been what was proposed rather than what actually took place!):

(see other 808 State dates at the bottom)

8)
nickking

Postby graham » 30 Oct 2008 19:58

Leeds collosium 26th may - yes thats right and concures with my 1st post ,Init?
graham

Postby graham » 30 Oct 2008 20:00

oh Nuremberg -- Think we must have canceled that then-defo didnt do it.
(un less they did it with out me)
graham

Postby nickking » 30 Oct 2008 20:28

graham wrote:oh Nuremberg -- Think we must have canceled that then-defo didnt do it.
(un less they did it with out me)

If they did, then Andy and Daz owe you a beer in Dublin! :P

8)
nickking

Postby D - LS » 31 Oct 2008 02:33

Thanks heaps :D Just trying to fill in my past. The first ever gig I went to was at Hull university to see A Guy Called Gerald. I think that was in February 1990 and soon after that (or so I thought) I went to see 808 State at the Sheffield Octagon. Following which I went to the Life weekender in Skegness on the 27th of April.

So from what you’ve said instead of being A Guy Called Gerald > 808 > Life, it must have been A Guy Called Gerald > Life > 808.

Actually I’m writing something – possibly for publication – which is why I asked for the correct information. It’s not about me and it’s not about the rave scene, but here’s the entry for the night I had at the Sheffield Octagon...

:P
After that night at the university, I began getting into dance music and the rave scene more and more. I started buying one or two records and Newt and I went out together again. Next we went to the Sheffield Octagon to a night put on by 808 State. At the venue there was a bank of speakers about the same size as the front of a house at either side of the DJs. The music was excellent and needless to say excessively loud. They put on brilliant light display too – the first I’d ever seen. At one point they fired lasers at some kind of thin netting dangling just above our heads and with it produced a four metre high angel fish swimming in the air. At the party everybody was friendly and looked be to having a great time. Mick Hucknall was sitting in the chill out area and his hair was ginger. Somebody was selling records and I bought a K-Klass white label that was pink for five quid. I got very drunk and thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening, slept my drunkenness off in my car and drove home the next morning.
:P

So, pretty soon after going to the Sheffield Octagon, I went to the Amnesia raves near Coventry and took my first little fella. :wink:
D - LS

Postby nickking » 31 Oct 2008 04:19

Nice write-up! :)

A Guy Called Gerald at Hull University was on Wednesday 14th February 1990 (St Valentine's Day!) - there's a flyer at my site here (also a flyer for the "Life" Skegness rave there too).

Good luck with the article/publication! :)

8)
nickking

Postby D - LS » 31 Oct 2008 08:19

Wow cheers! I had an inkling A Guy Called Gerald was on Valentine's Day, but I wasn't sure. "The Magical Manchester Mystery Tour" rings a bell too. Nice site btw - I'll be sure having a butcher's around it. Thanks once again.
D - LS

Postby graham » 31 Oct 2008 09:13

Iremember Mick Hucknal being there , he used to turn up to a few of our gigs back then,-we also went off after sound check to go check out FON studios for the 1st time,which was at the old premises on The Wicker- or weeah as Al Fisch called it. We would practicaly live @FON later on in the 90s
graham

Postby graham » 31 Oct 2008 09:20

Dance International was the 8th June jap tv program.

Im sorry there were gold chains ,and there were tracksuites and there were big trainers ,but that was Martin.

:wink:
graham

Next

Return to 808 State discussion