Outpost Transmission is out in the UK

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Postby Rodders » 08 Dec 2002 11:55

about a month later than everyone else i finally get a copy...

there are more than enough opinions on the board but i'd just like to add:

Crossword. what a track! i can't help but thinking this ought to be remixed by someone like Dave Clarke, now that would be interesting.

L8s

rodders
Rodders

Postby 808state's Tartan Army » 08 Dec 2002 17:14

Crossword is indeed a top track and, like a lot of other people, I agree that it isn't long enough. Souflex is a great track as well.
808state's Tartan Army

Postby Rich The Donkey Doctor » 08 Dec 2002 19:27

Gotta disagree there!

Suntower is easily the best track on the album, in fact I would go so far as saying it's one of my all time 808 faves. It really epitomises 808 at it's maverick best, breaking the rules and creating a fresh sounding, futuristic atmosphere without the usual ambient-tech cliches...

...Closely followed by Chopsumwong, Wheatstraw, and YoYo (excellent breaks track which would appeal to many djs from Sasha to Adam Freeland - this would be my choice of single for dancefloor exposure/compilation mixes)...not that 808 aim for this - yes, I know!!!

Very coherent album on the whole (apart from Boogieman), but too early to say if it's their best (i've had it for 3 months now and still cant decide!)... 808 LPs always have a knack of stickin in yer head, and this one is no exception.

PS - has Annie Nightingale/Blue Room been informed on Radio 1, because this is exactly the sort of stuff both these shows promote. Andy and Daz should do a feature dj set on annie's show...
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Postby SteveC » 10 Dec 2002 16:36

Snapped up the ONLY copy that was available in all of the record stores. Have the distributors estimated that an average of one person in each town will buy the album.....CRAZY!!
SteveC

Postby David » 10 Dec 2002 21:12

I love this album.

So much to get your teeth into.

Lemonsoul is another beautiful track with a touch of melancholly.
Joy Division in 2002 perhaps ?

Yoyo I agree is an epic.So deep,so catchy,sending me into a trance-like state.

Boogieman is the weakest but I like the beepiness of it.

I'm not a blind 808er (I don't like alot of State to State plus I feel Don Solaris and Gorgeous die near the end of what are very very good albums)-but Outpost Transmission is just increadible.

My fave 808 album (already)along with 90 but this has much more to chose from and is deeper .I listen to it about 5/6 hours a day.

Opinions,opinions,opinions

David (wannabe nme journo :wink: )
David

Postby SkiFamily91 » 11 Dec 2002 04:35

well they'll be lucky to sell more than one in each county, seen as their so underrated these days :( Seems strange that, say, a band like Orbital would have been so much more successful than 808 in the last 8 years or so, when their music is really not as interesting, and often boring....

my copy of OT arrived yesterday, BUT im at university at the moment, and it would have been foolish to have it sent here as im (surposed to be) revising for exams and id be way too distracted. Cant wait to get my hands on it though ;)

Harvey
SkiFamily91

HMV Belfast

Postby Ancodia » 11 Dec 2002 13:17

My local HMV here in Belfast had five copies on the shelves on monday morning. I have to say using the double cover was a great idea to allow access to the booklet.
L8RS,
John.
Ancodia

Previous

Return to 808 State discussion