K-Klass & Technosis - 808 productions

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Postby nickking » 17 May 2002 23:21

Well, on my seemingly neverending quest to discover all 808-related productions, I found this in a magazine called 'Soul Underground' from December 1989:

"A handful of white labels currently being passed around, and also on sale in selected dance shops, include a 12" by Technosis with it's sampled 'Rhythm Is Rhythm' bassline. The K-Klass demo mentioned in an earlier North West Beat, has now reached vinyl. This 12" EP features 4 instrumental house tracks and - like Technosis - is produced by 'chart stars' 808 State amd will no doubt eventually find itself on the Eastern Bloc Creed label. One member of the Eastern Bloc posse is involved in a project called Beat Tronic who will be releasing a 3 track 12", initially on white label only, called 'Techno Bass'. An E.Bloc/808 State Xmas party rave is planned for a location somewhere in the centre of Manchester, with 808 State mixing live and a handful of special guests. Listen out for details, as they say...

Meanwhile, 808 State have some other live dates planned, including the Town & Country Club, Amsterdam, and in New York, where they'll be appearing along with the KLF. These happen to coincide with the release of their 3rd album, simply entitled '90' on ZTT/WEA. Recorded in Bury, and mixed in a matter of days, the LP was produced by 808 State themselves and not - contrary to current belief - by Trevor Horn! The album includes a mix of Pacific State, with side one almost continuing where Quadrastate left off, leading into a much more heavier Techno/New Beat style on side two. There's little point in reviewing it here, but just enough to say that it should be in the shops after the first week of December. Whilst production offers continue to flood into their camp, a kind of 'exchange' is in the process of being arranged between Frankie Bones and 808 State, producing one anothers records..."

Fascinating stuff, eh?

Anyway, I reckon that the K-Klass EP is the following record:

CREED fro104t K-Klass - The Widlife EP

but what is the Technosis record? And what about the supposed KLF gigs, and Frankie Bones productions?

I do like reading older magazines!!

l8rs,

Nick :wink:
nickking

Postby nickking » 17 May 2002 23:39

Well (and I forgot to mention this - honest!), obviously Frankie Bones remixed both Pacific and Cubik for the American market, but what did 808 State do for Frankie in return?

l8rs,

nickking

Postby graham » 19 May 2002 10:02

Hi Nick..diiging deep !, Never did any thing for frankie bones in the end.
The Technosis stuff Ive rescued recently and
its survived pretty good sounds like Quadrastate type stuff (same studio /period)
Dont know where they are now (girl and boy team from Didsbury Neddy And Hettie I think)
Should put it on the site and see if they come out of the wood work,,me and Martin did a lot ofthe music on it
K KLass has to be wildlife done at square one in Bury
Beat tronic mmmm I think was this kid that used to hang in eastern bloc and later got a job there Vaguely remember being in spirit studios with that Martin would bring random people in from the shop all the time
Eastern bloc Xmas Rave I think was at RoadRider dIspatch Warehouse (near Sankey Soap)Scene of many an ealier party,Kieth Horton who Owned it was a bit of a patron of ours , we did some early acid sets at his partys.we later sponserd his Dragster it had the 808 logo on it ,wer also sponserd a football team from ancoats who had a full 808 strip
graham

Postby markus » 19 May 2002 12:27

On 2002-05-19 05:02, graham wrote:
... we did some early acid sets at his partys.we later sponserd his Dragster it had the 808 logo on it ,we also sponserd a football team from ancoats who had a full 808 strip

I would love to see pictures of the Dragster and Football Team!!
markus

Postby dmp » 19 May 2002 13:05

RE The Wildlife EP - Did 808 actually produce this? I've got a copy and it's great - especially "Atletico".
dmp

Postby dmp » 19 May 2002 13:08

Oh and another thing, I've got a 12" by Armand Van Helden called "Deep Creed '94" - is this anything to do with 808? They're not credited or anything but it has stuff like "A New York - M/cr Production".
dmp

Postby nickking » 20 May 2002 00:22

Many thanks for the info, Graham - must try and find a copy now!

Well, this is a Creed discography I found on the web (haven't double-checked catalogue numbers):

state 001 Hit Squad Manchester - Hit Squad Manchester
state 002 808 State - Newbuild
state 003 808 State - Let Yourself Go
state 004 808 State - Quadrastate

fro104t K-Klass - The Widlife EP
creed 10t French Connection - Who Cares
creed 11t K Klass - Rhythm Is A Mystery
creed 11tx K Klass - Rhythm Is A Mystery (remix)
creed 12tx SLD - Gettin' Out

Also from 'Soul Underground' (top mag - must try and find other issues), is the following snippet (it's from the month before the previous snippet - November 89):

"Well it has certainly taken its time, but 808 State's Quadrastate album has been one of the best selling independent dance LP's of the past month or two. Even Radio 1's Gary Davies has been heard to play the record which he apparently discovered on his hols in Ibiza. Well, there you go. An Italian 'version' of Quadrastate recently made it to these shores. The thoughtless bootleggers phoned several record shops around the country for potential sales, including Eastern Bloc - base of Creed Records. Nevertheless, the shop still ordered 50 copies...

As Soul Underground goes to press, 808 State are finishing work on 2 new remixes of Pacific State. These together with the original and an - as yet - untitled new one, complete a 4 track 12", which should be out by the end of the month on WEA. Production work offers are being thrust in their faces like nobody's business. The latest request has come from Prince's choreographer, Cat, who is currently at work on her album. Graham '808/biting Tongues' Massey has been asked to produce all manner of artists and musicians, including Morrissey.

Something more apt to this column featuring the Massey skills - on one track anyhow - is 'Freestyle' - an album by Manchester production team Social Kaos, aka Mo and Shazz. Ranging from Soul to Rap, some white labels will be passed around at the end of the month, but that's all that should be said at this stage...

Biting Tongues finally release their album, Recharge, as previewed a few issues back. This appears on Stockport's Cut Deep label, which also releases a debut 12" from P Love & Blue aka Indi and DJ Pete 'Ped' Smith, 17 and 18 years respectively. The 12" features 2 tracks, 'Time In The Studio' in a HipHouse style which uses the Seduction baseline, and 'Party Time' - DJ Blue's Hip Hop extravaganza.

Another 12" planned for Cut Deep is by MVITA (Manchester Vibe In The Year) namely DJs The Madhatter and Dr Lamont and featuring the toasting and rapping skills of Fonzo Butler.

A tape/white label to look out for towards the end of the year is by K Klass, a Leeds based garage/techno house producers who've done a handful of PA's around the North West. Their manager DJ Steve Williams, who is, himself recording some New Beat styled dance tracks together with John from Eastern Bloc.

Yargo have just released their second, and much delayed album, Communication, which features the single 'The Other Side Of Midnight'.

Meanwhile Yargo's drummer Phil is currently working with Manchester MC Tunes, temporarily 'stolen' from the 808 State/Spinmasters camp. The end result will be a Rap/house 12" provisionally entitled 'The Only Rhyme That Bites' and will be released on DFM Records."

Phew!

l8rs,

nickking

Postby graham » 20 May 2002 09:39

Oh I have some of the stuff with mc tunes/phil kirby.. this also was done in spirit studios with me as engineer But sounds
quite different (C LAB software/alesis drum
machines and sequencer real drums),Phil kirby was in Yargo as was Paddy Steer ,both
were once in Biting Tongues(compressor Period) Phil later ran Zombie Studio,in the same building that used to be OUT OF THE BLUE
,of earlier 808/hit squad/tongues/barton /gerald later the band SUB SUB b took it over and it burnt down.so they became the Doves The Recharge album never caqme out as the company went under "cut Deep were based in abn Office above Strawberry Studios(famous for a lot of factory things
and more inportantly built by 10cc,The fender Rhodes on recharge is the same one as on Im not in Love) a double test promo
of Recharge was at large (its very quadra state but with mo saxaphones and singing
Love out was a single released from it(12 inch and cd)and features Denise Johnson
a video was made by IKON ,but I ve never seen it..also a second single that wasnt on the album was recorded, I recently found the
tapes off which is even more dancey(done at strawberry)(d50 909 101 s fz 1,juno 106 etc)
graham

Postby graham » 20 May 2002 09:46

Oh yeah whilst my memory is stiring
DFM records was run by Dave Roffe
biting tongues sound man/808 road crew
hacienda dj (boyfriend of denise Johnson at the time) and now larging it as the ~Doves manager ...an early acid record by a certain ratio under a different name (some numbers to do with robo cop and with a robo cop sample in it wa s on it also some early rap involving Johnny jay(dust junkeys manager)
graham

Postby JD » 20 May 2002 11:16

Silver Bullet - 20 seconds to comply?
JD

Postby nickking » 20 May 2002 23:12

Wow, lots of interesting stuff - many thanks again!

I think that the 'Robocop/ACR' tune could be this one ( http://www.ausoug.org.au/working/dennis ... y/acr.html ):

"ED209: Metre ??? 88

12": UK 1988 (Dun For Money ???)

?:?? ED209
?:?? :
?:?? :

- Credited to Roff-Johnson-Moscrop, produced by Johnson-Moscrop and
recorded at the ACR studios.
- An acid house track with samples from Robocop."

Yeah, I've got the 'Wall Of Surf' video - very good indeed...

Still got to try and find that 'Love Out' CD - very rare, it would seem.

Wouldn't mind hearing the 'Recharge' album at some point - you should get someone to issue it at some point!

l8rs,

nickking

Postby nickking » 21 May 2002 00:01

BTW, JD, that '20 Seconds TO Comply' track's not too bad...

Just acquired it!

l8rs,

nickking

Postby stephen » 23 May 2002 08:56

Put Technosis up on the sounds page!

stephen.

On 2002-05-19 05:02, graham wrote:
The Technosis stuff Ive rescued recently and
its survived pretty good sounds like Quadrastate type stuff (same studio /period)
stephen

Postby Zenarchy » 09 Aug 2007 20:54

nickking wrote:"A handful of white labels currently being passed around, and also on sale in selected dance shops, include a 12" by Technosis with it's sampled 'Rhythm Is Rhythm' bassline.

but what is the Technosis record?

Well the article wasn't entirely accurate. Technosis was, basically, me, working with various other people.

I met Martin whilst doing experimental (or "absurdist" as Martin called it) music/noise under the name C:G. Eastern Bloc was one of the shops that sold our tapes, and we started working with Martin and Graham around the time of Newbuild. Aside from one tune "Fantasy", based around the theme from the Brian de Palma film "Body Double", I'd say pretty much most of the early recordings were mainly down to Martin and Graham.

When C:G split, I started using the Technosis name. Most of the Technosis stuff was written by me, then embellished in the studio by Martin and Graham, but as 808 were starting to take off by this point, nothing ever got beyond the recording stage or was ever released even as a white label. I suspect the reference in the article came from Martin trying to create a bit of advance publicity...

The Technosis tune that was closest to a finished tune, and came closest to release (ZTT were at some point reputedly interested in putting it out as a white label) was "Alice". I programmed it entirely on a Roland W30, and it was recorded in 1990 at Square One studio in Bury. Martin added new drums in the studio and it was engineered by Simon Crompton (?) of Vanilla Sound Corps (Graham wasn't involved in this one).

Anyone wanting to hear "Alice" can find it here:

http://www.myspace.com/thesurrealistpicnic

The quality isn't great as I only have a cassette copy (Martin had the DAT)...

Adam
Zenarchy

Postby solarex » 09 Aug 2007 21:31

Great stuff. Great stories. And great you dug out this thread.

What about C:G stuff. Any possiblity that could be shared as well. And scans of those underground tapes.

All early efford by Martin and Graham, what formed the 808 State that came, is very interesting.
solarex

Next

Return to 808 State discussion