Question about sax sound on Pacific

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Kelirich

Question about sax sound on Pacific

Post by Kelirich » 16 Dec 2003 15:23

Hullo folks - wonder whether someone here can help me. I seem to recall that the saxophone sound on Pacific came from a small synthesizer shaped like a saxophone - but I can't track it down on the web. Anyone remember the name of this marvellous bit of kit? And anyone know of any other choons where it was used?

Ta for any info!
*wave*
Kel

Apologies if this question has been asked before; I couldn't find what I was after either in the FAQ or via a quick websearch.

Ancodia

Post by Ancodia » 16 Dec 2003 18:07

The bent piece of brass tubing hanging out of Massey's mouth at live gigs during Pacific, would probably lose you that point in an argument. Whilst it is probably true to say the the stabs in Cubik are actually a sampled D50, it looks much cooler to see Massey playing on guitar.

Back to the original question though...
Yamaha produced a couple of Electronic Saxes a while back, they currently have a wind controller on sale which is more the size of a recorder or flute, whilst the sound is fantastic the look just isn't as impressive.

I remember Adamski used to use one of the early saxes on his third album.

L8RS,
John

Kelirich

Ah...

Post by Kelirich » 16 Dec 2003 18:24

Thanks for the response.

So it's a real sax during the live show - fair enough. In that case, what instrument was Price or Massey playing (or pretending to play) during the band's Top Of The Pops performance of Pacific? I coulda sworn that was an electronic sax... and was it just for show, or did the electronic instrument also feature on the recording?

Kel

solarex

Re: Ah...

Post by solarex » 17 Dec 2003 11:22

Kelirich wrote:In that case, what instrument was Price or Massey playing (or pretending to play) during the band's Top Of The Pops performance of Pacific? I coulda sworn that was an electronic sax.
It was. Massey is quoted for Pacific recorded using the real thing, and it is used on concerts as well.

I think the band had fun with using an electronic one on TV shows where the only music was the one on the CD. Giving the "we ARE all electronic, get it" attitude. Goes for drums as well, right.

Kelirich

x

Post by Kelirich » 17 Dec 2003 12:01

Thanks - that's cleared that up for me!

Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor » 18 Dec 2003 13:05

Definitely a real Alto sax!

graham

Post by graham » 18 Dec 2003 17:17

it was a soprano sax on the record,the thing on t o t p was a wx7 wind controller, a lot of people confuse the soprano sax with a clarinet because it aint bent, but you can get bent ones and you can get metal clarinets.

Kelirich

Re:

Post by Kelirich » 29 Dec 2003 17:28

Ah - a WX7! Now that rings a bell (well, not literally) - thanks for the reply.