808 's Olympic Connection

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

obob

808 's Olympic Connection

Post by obob » 16 Jan 2004 17:15

I see 808 pop up often when I search for Olympic Games Music on eBay !

Can anyone explain their Olympic connection ?

Mark

Post by Mark » 16 Jan 2004 20:46

808 released a track in the early nineties called 'Olympic' it was the double a side to the mighty 'Cubik' which people tend to remember more, If I remember rightly it was something to do with Manchester holding some sort of games? I also recall something about them writing a track for the recent commonwealth games held in Manchester? but I don't think anything came of that. They also played at G:Percussion which was a music festival at the Castlefield arena in Manc, which tied in with the end of the 2002 games.

So yeah, they do have a few 'Olympic' connections! I'm sure Markus or perhaps Nick can shed some more light on the 2002 track that never was I suppose.

Dr.Walsh

Post by Dr.Walsh » 18 Jan 2004 22:18

From my memory, 'Olympic' was written for the Manchester bid for the 2000 Olympic Games.

I got the impression that the track would have been played on television adverts, when people won medals, etc (although perhaps Graham, Andy or Darren could enlighten us more on this, and the Commonwealth Games track...)

As it happened, the 2000 Olympic Games went to Sydney...

[Coincidentally, I was in Australia in 2000 and did a radio-show on the opening night of the Sydney Olympics. Not surprisingly, I played 'Olympic' as the last track of the night! :)]

nickking

Post by nickking » 19 Jan 2004 00:03

Dr.Walsh wrote: [Coincidentally, I was in Australia in 2000 and did a radio-show on the opening night of the Sydney Olympics. Not surprisingly, I played 'Olympic' as the last track of the night! :)]
Top man! 8)

I'm not sure which track they were planning on putting out for the Commonwealth Games - Markus/Graham?

l8rs,

Nick ;)