Two different versions of Invader (Vegas Soul mix)

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Ridge Racer

Two different versions of Invader (Vegas Soul mix)

Post by Ridge Racer »

Hi guys, it's nice to meet you. 808 State is my favorite group!

Anyway I received my hard to find copy of the Invader CD single today in the mail. So I go ahead and pop it in the CD player and upon reaching track 3, the Vegas Soul mix, I'm horribly disspointed to discover it is DIFFERENT from the Vegas Sould Mix I got on mp3 a few years ago. The one I first heard and fell in love with is approxiamately 7:20mins long, and the haunting "Don't Look Down" chant gradually fades in and out during the song.

The CD Vegas Soul Mix has a very similar beat and does sound good, but is only about 5 and half minutes long and isn't as dark and "busy" and the other one, and only says "Don't Look Down" like a couple times.

Can someone explain what is going on? Is it my imagination or did they actually remix the Vegas Soul Mix into something else for the CD?

Please reply.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi, Welcome to Globalstate.

The mix of Invader you are referring to is actually only found on the vinyl release. There are two vegas soul mixes, referred to as 1 & 2 strangely!
The CD release features remix 2! You want remix 1 which is fantastically thumping and by far my fave remix of 808. The 12" is quite easy to find still, if you can't find it give me a shout and I'll locate one for you.

Hope this helps.
markus

Post by markus »

Welcome aboard. I think what you are after is the Vegas Soul remix 1, a much fiercer mix, only available on vinyl to my knowledge. Vegas Soul = Chris Cowie, by the way. Full details of the known formats are here: http://www.808state.com/discogs/808page ... invad2.htm
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

So thaaaat's it! That clears it up then. Thanks guys! I don't own a record player anymore so no use in buying the 12". I guess I'll just settle for the mp3. Hmm, there's plently of room left on the disc, why couldn't they have just added both remixes? :-?
markus

Post by markus »

Long live vinyl :)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Which all very neatly brings me to the question I've always wondered (!) - there's a couple of compilations out there which state they've got "Invader (Vegas Soul Remix)" as one of their tracks, but no mention is made (on some of them) whether it's remix one or remix two...

Anyway, from Discogs.com (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Vegas_Soul), here's the summary:

Invader (Vegas Soul Remix) on Shockers 2, 2xCD (ID&T)
Invader (Vegas Soul Remix) on Exposure 2, CD (4 Foot 11)
Invader (Vegas Soul Mix 2) on Strand House 2 - Clubbing On The Beach, 2xCD (Polymedia Marketing Group GmbH)
Invader (Vegas Soul Remix Two) on Underwater 3 - A Dive Into Trance, CD (Talking In Tones)

Now, obviously the last two are Remix 2, but does anyone out there have either of the first two comps? Without actually going out and buying them, it's difficult to know which mix is on there!

Cheers,

Nick ;)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Well, so far I've managed to find a sample of the Exposure 2 track here - http://www.discoweb.com/pt/Music/script ... 1919_.html

From listening to it, it does sound like Vegas Soul Remix Two...

Will try and investigate the Shockers 2 compilation! :P

l8rs,

Nick ;)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Well, recently (January 2010), it would seem that the whole single (including the elusive Vegas Soul Remix One) has appeared as a digital download:

Available at Juno Download

Probably available at other digital stores too?

8)
markus

Re: Two different versions of Invader (Vegas Soul mix)

Post by markus »

It's also on Spotify.