WHAT IS THAT SAMPLE?

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

BADGERMAN

WHAT IS THAT SAMPLE?

Post by BADGERMAN » 10 Mar 2004 13:36

There is a sample that has been used a couple of times by 808 and Graham that I dont recognise. Probably due to my limited past musical knowledge. The sample is on the start of Driveway by sunsonic Massey mix. On the start and end of Suns of Arqua - Grovinda Go And on the start of 808 Marathon. Also it appears in the Naked and the dead/ Naked and the Dub by Orbital.

The sample is not featured on the CD version by suns of aqua - Grovindas House which is only 4.49 minutes long and is probably only an edit and not a different mix. ( incidently there are 3 guy called gerald mixes on this cd are they on the other cds displayed on the remix page? (Grovindas House: ARKA CD 22117).

BADGERMAN

Still interested.

Post by BADGERMAN » 15 Mar 2004 20:59

Does no one know where this sample comes from - surely someone does?!

nickking

Post by nickking » 16 Mar 2004 13:09

I'll try and find out later on tonight/tomorrow...

The Gerald remixes of Govinda's Dream are available on the following formats:

- Govinda's Dream - CD Single (Full length mixes - only place where these exist)
- Remixes Volumes 2 & 3 - CD Album (Edits)
- Govinda's House In The Cities Of Nine Gates: Remixes 2 - CD Album (Edits)
- DJ Files - 12" (I think, just one mix - my page seems to be down at the moment, will check later)

l8rs,

Nick ;)

BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN » 16 Mar 2004 22:22

Thanks so far Mr. Nickking. Its very good of you to find out.

I have been trying to locate that 808/Shamen 12" info because it is really bugging me now as I thought someone out there would have had it. Wish Id bought it. Looked for a Shamen web site but could not find a current one of any use. Wanted a forum to talk to Shamen fans. Dont suppose anyone knows of one? Also looked on "one little indian site but not even a mention of shamen material, were they still with one little indian around that time - cant find any info!

It was also very cool of Graham to reply on the finitribe 101 12" (what an honour!) - but the only problem is I still cant work out what is what track as there is 4 unlabelled (on a blank promo), and on the sleeve it is hand written by someone: "2 Graham Massey mixes" but looking on the remixes page and on Ebay past, the 4 track vinyl only has one massey mix on it (I think). Have I been miss led by a git of a record shop owner?? Your help or anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

nickking

Post by nickking » 17 Mar 2004 02:39

Hi ya again,

The 12" of the Finitribe 101 single does have two Massey mixes on it - the "303-3D Bass Version" and the "303-3D Bass Edit" mixes, so presumably the same for the white label? The CD single, on the other hand, only has the Bass Edit (this is 4:15 minutes in length, btw, which might help you determine which mix is which). As the one on the Sounds download page of this site incorporates bits from both versions, try downloading it, and then match which of the mixes match.

On the Shamen front, I've checked a number of Shamen discographies so far (their official site used to be http://www.nemeton.com/ - this doesn't seem to work any more), and none of them mention the 12" you saw (and, yup, they were most likely still with One Little Indian when it would have come out).

Anyway, some sites of interest:

http://cathedral.then.net/shamen/ - best discography

Apart from the numerous editions of En-Tact, featuring the Massey mix of Human NRG, the only other reference is the "Stars On 25" remix album, which calls it the "808 State Mix" as opposed to "Human NRG (Massey)".... So, the search continues. I'm still going to assume that it's most likely the En-Tact version you saw (as Graham says he only did one mix), but it isn't unlike record companies to then edit the remix, and still call them Graham Massey remixes (Finitribe 101 and Sainkho Namtchylak immediately spring to mind)...

So, the search continues!

I still haven't had a chance to listen again to those mixes in order to spot the sample, but I'll try to find some time (currently suffering from jetlag) on Wednesday evening.

l8rs,

Nick ;)

BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN » 17 Mar 2004 14:31

On a simular link to the Shamen being labelled as 808 remix not massey, just been up town (Taunton city centre!!) and saw an Inspiral Carpets 3cd box set with the production of dirrecting traffic and Jo as "808 State 89"- which it almost was with 2 band members (price and Massey).

And 5 minutes later saw a FSOL album with a picture on the front which changes when you move perspective. Well I havent got much FSOL (have been meaning to) and forgot to look at the title as I was overcome by the swanky front cover. I think Im going to buy it when I get paid on Friday - is it any good? Oh and the reason I brought up the subject was that it had the massey mix on it. which should be the same as Ive got - or was there more than one mix lurking around.

Anyway thanks for the info Badgerman.

Ps the sample has some bloke shouting something?? - its at the start of marathon. What is he saying I cant make it out.

BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN » 10 Apr 2004 14:05

Any luck with that sample? Heres another one sorry I know this is sad and really I should be at the end of a railway platform but on the Prodigy Charly (alley cat mix) is that a sample of Mc tunes taken from the only rhyme that bites used throughout the track. Its him kinda grunting!

Ive had no luck tracking down any shamen fans to see if anyone bought the 12" - it has become a quest now. I was looking for an active forum, surely there is one out there somewhere. The fact that it was similar writing to UB40 one in ten pehaps it was a ZTT release instead of one little indian?? Cant find any information.

The FSOL album was ACCELERATOR (good album) with the massey mix on the end. Its the same edit as the single. The album cover is fantastic with rotating heads on blocks, rotating over a sea ( when you tilt the cover) I could watch it for hours.

nickking

Post by nickking » 10 Apr 2004 14:35

According to the Orbital site, it might well be:

Sample/Extract from "Next" performed by Scott Walker written by Mort Schuman / Jacques Brel

And it apparently appears on the album "Scott Walker sings Jacques Brel" - available here

Don't know, as I haven't heard the Scott Walker song...

l8rs,

Nick ;)[/url]