Julius Papp cover of Pacific

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

graham

Julius Papp cover of Pacific

Post by graham » 05 Aug 2004 14:26

Has any one heard the Julius Pappp version of pacific on Head candy comp
I have nt yet though Im hearing reports ,and issues as to if he s used any samples from the origenal or not..its claiming to be a cover version Ie contains no samples
http://www.beatport.com/site/index.php?label_id=274
I can download ,some ones sending me a copy
calling all agents on this one

also on any current whites of cubik Knocking about (2 many ,djs /Ferry Corsten...?????

markus

Post by markus » 05 Aug 2004 16:31

You can listen online by clicking on the little speaker. Sounds a bit like a midi file, but then they probably call that progressive house or something :)

Rodders

Post by Rodders » 06 Aug 2004 11:49

to be honest it sounds like a bedroom demo to me. also it doesn't sound like there are any samples from the originals, i thought maybe the strings, but on repeated listens im certain theres no samples.

you could always ask him..? info@julianpapp.com

rodders

nickking

Post by nickking » 06 Aug 2004 12:22

I can grab some more info on the different versions of Cubik out there, if you still need it?

Ferry Corsten's cover is called Cubikated

and something about 2 Many DJs (who essentially mash and mix-up tunes) - superb compilations, btw:

"As thrilling as it gets, y’say? That’d also apply to those superheroes of sampling, the legendary 2 Many DJs, who’ve done more for music – dance or otherwise - these last five years than just about anybody else, and their ultra-inventive mix’n’match majesty doesn’t desert them here. ‘French Kiss’ is never unwelcome; splicing it with Daft Punk just makes that even more the case. And that’s less than ten minutes in! Before we know it, they’ve folded Inner City’s ‘Good Life’ into ‘Dominator’ and had it come out the other side as ‘Cubik’, and shortly afterwards, as if the crowd hadn’t started getting too excited as it was, they catapulted ‘Higher State Of Consciousness’ into… ‘Comfortably Numb’! Excuse us, readers, we’ve just come."

and something here - haven't downloaded movie, yet!

http://www.brunerandbay.com/2manydjs/

l8rs,

Nick ;)

Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor » 11 Aug 2004 11:42

Unknown Vs 808 State - Pacific And Shady Breaks (GET004) ▀▀▓▓

Artist: Unknown Vs 808 State
Album Title: Pacific and Shady Breaks
Record Label: Get Bootleg
Release Date: Jun-11-2004
Release Type: Bootleg
Catalog Number: 004
Genre: Beat
Year: 2004
Source: Vinyl
Encoder: Lame
Quality: 192kbps / 44,1Khz / Full Stereo

Hi Graham,

I picked this up from Soulseek (www.soulseek.org). Its actually a breax mix of Cubik not Pacific (???!!) and as far as I can tell its a cover, and no original samples have been used. Its ok...standard breax fare really...think its US in origin. Apparently the flip is a bootleg of Eminem. I can let u have the file if u need.

l8rs Rich.

graham

Post by graham » 13 Aug 2004 13:43

any more opinions on this?

Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor » 13 Aug 2004 16:18

Hey Grezza...The Julian Papp mix of Pacific is all over soulseek if you need a copy immediately...i'm just downloading it now. i'll let u know my thoughts...

Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor » 13 Aug 2004 17:33

My vedict:

This is UTTER SHITE and an insult to the original. Markus was spot on...it sounds like a 'general midi' file. There are NO samples of the original though...its been completely replayed.

Julian Papp = pile of crap. Completely pointless------>my pacific ringtone is better!

Rant over. ;)

nickking

Post by nickking » 13 Aug 2004 17:52

Just downloading it now - as soon as I've given it a listen, I'll let you know! :D

That Ferry Corsten mix isn't generally available - he has only seemed to have played it at a recent DJ set in Russia, so far...

As for 2 Many DJ's, they mix loads of tunes together, but whenever they release anything officially, they always get sample clearances (even if it takes them two years, like their album did)! There are a number of unofficial 2 Many DJ's CD's out there, but they are all bootlegs. Again, I think that the mix including Cubik has only ever been played in one of their DJ sets, and hasn't actually been released yet...

That Julius Papps song is about a quarter of the way downloaded so far, so should be able to listen to it in about half an hour! :)

l8rs,

Nick ;)
Last edited by nickking on 13 Aug 2004 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

nickking

Post by nickking » 13 Aug 2004 18:39

Well, I've now downloaded and listened to it - doesn't seem to me as though he's sampled anything, so I'd say it's a pure cover version, in the style of latin house, which does sound as though it's a computer midi file! :P

Not my cup of tea, really, to be honest, but I suppose it would be nice to listen to in a sun drenched cafe in the mediterranean! 8)

l8rs,

Nick ;)

Melody Nelson

Post by Melody Nelson » 13 Aug 2004 18:41

it's pointless

i wouldn't say it sounds like a midi version
it sounds 'chunky' in a big house
production way but...

play the original

nickking

Post by nickking » 14 Aug 2004 10:09

Just played this again this morning, and it's crap! :P

Don't think I'm going to bother buying it...

l8rs,

Nick ;)

Rayla

Julian Papp-It Get's points for being unusally LOUD.

Post by Rayla » 05 Jun 2007 01:09

J.Ps "Pacific State" ..It sounds Really Clunky with NO tone but a LOud thump..