bbc4 tv sunra

Discuss musical topics that are not directly 808 State related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

bbc4 tv sunra

Postby graham » 21 Oct 2005 22:05

Aint bbc 4 great...SunRa on in a bit tonight wicked! evrybody watch!
graham

Postby graham » 22 Oct 2005 12:36

of coarse thats next friday 28th ..got too exited then
graham

Postby markus » 22 Oct 2005 12:58

Sun Ra: Brother from Another Planet
BBC Four
Fri 28 Oct, 21:00 - 22:00 60 mins

During his 79 years on earth, the man who claimed he was from Saturn created a rich tapestry of music and myth. But beyond the showbiz glitz and humour, Ra's philosophy was based on a serious study of Afro-American politics and Egyptology.

Featuring archive footage and interviews with surviving band members, this film examines the life and work of Sun Ra. This programme contains very strong language.

Widescreen Stereo

Shame, I haven't got BBC4.
markus

Why wasn't this posted on the Tool-Shed Forum?

Postby Ancodia » 29 Oct 2005 15:35

Just managed to catch the end of this, fantastic stuff! Can see where a lot of this has influenced much of the tool-shed sound. Can't wait to see them next saturday now!

John
Ancodia

Postby PeteZarustica » 30 Oct 2005 01:23

Was it released on DVD?
PeteZarustica

Postby graham » 30 Oct 2005 14:14

No but i can recomend these dvds
A joyfull noise and
space is the place
both available at amazon ..a joyfull noise (where the bbc took a lot of the footage froM) is a documenatry made in the 70s , lots of performance and great footage of them intheir comunal house in philidelphia,where they also ran the El Saturn grocery store .
Space is the Place is a movie they made in the 70s which is like Shaft in Space ,really cheap sci fi effects ,loads of great music ..a must have.

Yes big influence on the Toolshed sound ,but also the 808 and tongues stuff
take a tune like empire or nephatiti,black morheus or lungfoo .. its the stately music of the ancients vibe ..
take tongues tunes like Plug (download at bitingtongues.com) or with eyes closed and you can choke like that , very ra like
and of coarse more directly toolsheds cover versions of Love in outerspace
,satelites are spinning and watutsa, weve also been doing enligtenment with Homelife.
evryone loves sun ra around here,
a lot of it stems back to its avilability in the 70s when bargain bins were flooded with cheap imports of the impulse stuff with the corners cut off
for 50p ..I loved anything with space shit on it (Hawkwind ,Gong etc and they were so influenced by sun ra not that i knew it then) then it was one of the things we had in common when we formed the tongues," Oh you got the space jazz record too !" we use to do the mass percusion things and also get loads of saxophone players togethr and walk into the audience and play at people.
Then later on in the early 80s Sun ra came to play at the Royal Northern College of music, which has got to be one of the most inspirational things ever..they played for hours and touched on all kinds of music,and just left your head in a pulp.. I saw them also at Shefield octagon ,
It sort of set a bench mark as to what a gig could include, it also led me back to listening to older big band stuff like duke ellington and fletcher henderson which has some pretty wonderfull stuff going on if you come throughthe right door at the right time. Sun ra would just leap into these punked up versions of old big band tunes and you could feel how much impact that stuff must have had back in the 30s,then they d just switch into mad synth freak outs ,to raw boogie woogie too ancient eygyptian marches then two trombonists would have a trombone fight,then they would all march into the audience singing space chants..
cd wise ,I personally love the early chicago recordings..Nubians of Plutonia
Fate in a pleasant mood, Angels and Demons at play, their discography is imense ..loads of hand made bootlegs they used to flog at gigs , pressings of 500 etc,,Colin used to get loads when he worked at Virgin records in the late 70s with hand painted labels and no titles..
graham

Postby graham » 30 Oct 2005 14:20

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/discintr.htm
comprehensive as you can get sun ra discography
graham

Postby PeteZarustica » 01 Nov 2005 00:25

great graham, thanks :)
ebay is working for me now to find some sun ra items ;)
PeteZarustica

Return to Music