Album recommendations

Discuss musical topics that are not directly 808 State related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Album recommendations

Postby SteveC » 07 May 2003 19:16

Apart from OT the last album I bought was Orbitals Middle of Nowhere, in other words, to my knowledge, there haven't been any releases that on are on a par with 808 etc.

Can somebody recommend an essential album which an 808/Orbital fan would adore ?

Since the death of KISS Ive lost touch of alternative sounds. The album that is recommended the most I shall buy....cheers :wink:
SteveC

Re: Album recommendations

Postby Senor Quack » 10 May 2003 03:23

SteveC wrote:Apart from OT the last album I bought was Orbitals Middle of Nowhere, in other words, to my knowledge, there haven't been any releases that on are on a par with 808 etc.

Can somebody recommend an essential album which an 808/Orbital fan would adore ?

Since the death of KISS Ive lost touch of alternative sounds. The album that is recommended the most I shall buy....cheers :wink:

Well, Middle of Nowhere's a good album, but I think we might be able to top both it and Kiss. I know what you're saying, though, that 808 State puts a lot of other music to shame. It's true.

Here's a few suggestions:

Electronic - Electronic, New Order - Technique, New Order - Substance, New Order - Brotherhood, New Order - Power Corruption and Lies, New Order - Lowlife, Leftfield - Leftism, Juno Reactor - Bible of Dreams, Massive Attack - Blue Lines, Massive Attack - Mezzanine, Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman, The KLF - The White Room, Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
Last edited by Senor Quack on 10 May 2003 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senor Quack

Another suggestion

Postby Senor Quack » 10 May 2003 03:51

Forgot about this: If you want to get a good sense of the history of dance music around the time 808 state got started, get Warp 10 Record's Warp10+1 and Warp10+2 CD's (4 cd's in all).. A few great 808 tunes are included as well.

Also get Moonshine's "Classic Acid"

Want even more history? Get "The Perfect Beats" Vol 1-4 (It'll be neat spotting all the samples folks used in the previously mentioned albums ;) )
Senor Quack

Postby David » 10 May 2003 18:55

I love New Orders' Movement 1981 album.

Their first and still getting over the death of Ian Curtis.

It is dark electronica.Great sombre/bored vocals.

On a happier note I can recommend anything by Paul VanDyke.

Thievery Corporation also worth a look.
David

Postby Supraset » 02 Jun 2003 06:21

Electronic music
"Adult" - Resuscitation

Guitar Music
"White Stripes" - Elephant

Other
E.T. Soundtrack 20th Anniversary Edition
Mulholland Drive Soundtrack
Supraset

Postby Rich The Donkey Doctor » 07 Jun 2003 09:10

I'm kind of echoing Steve's posting here, but i'm hitting a dry spot with my musical purchases recently. Everything I buy or listen to fails to have a lasting impact of late, and that goes for all genres (including indie/rock). I'm increasingly finding myself drawn towards older music or world/ethnic stuff (Giles Peterson-type-shit) which is cool, but i'm missing the stimulation of hearing, for example, a new album which really makes me sit up and take notice as 808's 90/exel/Don Solaris, Leftfield's 'Leftism', Stone Roses' 'Stone Roses', Underworld's 'Dubnobass...', 'Second Toughest...' and all the other less well known, genre-relative albums I have in my collection which have inspired me to go out and spend all my money on music gear! I'm 27 now so maybe this is old-age kicking in (?) but music has always had a huge impact on me, and i've always thought I'd have my ears to the ground to find new stuff... Looking at the line ups for the festivals this year, there's really not much that would entice me to spend £50+ on a ticket. Rock/punk/nu metal is definitely on the 'up' with the kids now, but this has been seen and done a thousand times before and it seems so false and uninspired. At the opposite end of the spectrum, hip-hop and R n B is just plain shite (well most of it!!!) lol

I know i'm ranting...but i'm wondering if anyone's feeling this too, or if anyone wants to disagree with me, please, feel free to rant back with some suggestions!!!
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Postby Pete » 07 Jun 2003 11:17

Proteus - Collected Works 1999-2002

local duo from watford, excellent electronica
Pete

Postby Supraset » 07 Jun 2003 17:25

Rich the DD...

I hear ya brotha... I find myself going back to most of the albums you listen to. And I too wonder if it is something as you get older the music just doesn't seeem to hit you in the way it once did. So I try to find new music as often as possible and give it a few listens before making complete judgements.

I think trying to make some of your own tunes is the best way to try to get "that sound" you're looking for. So good for you!! I'm working on a site of some of my old stuff and I'll point you all at it soon... you can tell me if it's shit or not.

I also wonder if the big jump from analog equipment, hardware based digital synths/drum machines... to the now rampant software computer based systems isn't to blame for some of the what I feel is a lack of creativity in music today. A lot of albums I listen to today sounds like a constant tinkering of trying to figure out one's equipment. It's as if there is a learning curve to the technology and musicians just aren't keeping up with the engineers.

I find myself liking music that has some sort of melody in it the most enjoyful... which is why I love 808's 90 so much. It's so over the place with it's jazzy elements and real instruments scattered about. Truly one of my favorites.

Another one of my favorites... all time is Depeche Mode's "Ultra"... I just love the songs and production and I'm a long time Mode fan but this album is awesome in that it is semi recent... yikes 5 years ago now... but I like it.
Supraset

ALL HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Postby Dr.Walsh » 27 Jun 2003 08:01

ALL HIGHLY RECOMMENDED :)

'Hope' CD - profits to children of Iraq. If you haven't got your copy already - where have you been? Features Bassment Jaxx & Yellowman loving and dubbing the world up on 'Love Is The Answer' :)

A Guy Called Gerald 'Black Secret Technology' and 'Essence' (if you haven't already got them). Drum n' bass masterpieces. :)

Sasha 'Airdrawndagger' - mainly breaks and some heart-stoppingly
beautiful, ethereal moments, Sasha has managed to craft an album that satisfies intensely both the old-school and the new generation of breaks/ progressive house heads! :)

Funky Monkey 'Join Us In Tomorrow'. Funk, dance, Sarah Cracknell guest spots and a cover of Stevie Wonders 'Saturn' :)

DJ magazine (30 may - 12 jun edition) World Series mix CD - breaks from Australia mixed by Phil K. Hear the (r)evolution going on in Australia making it breaks capital of the world (according to a lot of dance music journos and I'd have to agree with them). Features the 'Pacific' of Australia, 'Summer Breeze' by The Free Radicals (a tune that'll almost certainly make you cry it's so beautiful) :)

Jazzie B 'The Africa Centre'. A mix of tunes that used to get the Africa Centre (the place where Soul II Soul started) going right off! :)

Layo and Bushwacka! 'Night Works' Quality, quality breaks. Let The Good Times Roll... :)

I've not heard them yet but people are 'raving' about the new albums by Hybrid, Plump DJ's and UNKLE :)

Global Undergrounds - Dave Seaman Melbourne, Deep Dish Toronto, Nick Warren Rekjavik and any Tenaglia :)

Anthony Pappa - Global Underground Nubreed :)

Destinations Du Monde 003 - Manchester (funky, yet chilled - perfect Mancunian grooves for a summer up North!) :)

I could go on and on but these are a few of my favourite things! :)

There's certainly a lot of brilliant music being made. :)

'Dr.' Walsh :)
Dr.Walsh

Postby nvkid808 » 08 Jul 2003 08:22

:wink: ave u eard sunelectric "kitchen"? it's ambient techno.

also children of the bong "sirrius sounds" kinda dub electronica

as for comps i like the tresor "true spirit" mixed bag o'techno!
nvkid808

Postby SteveC » 08 Jul 2003 16:16

Cheers guys.......and girls :P

I'll certainly try and track down the Sasha album, Ive always found his mixes spine tingling :wink:
SteveC

Postby Mark » 08 Jul 2003 18:00

Keep an eye out for Hybrid's 'morning sci-fi' album released 21 July, I've got a promo and its absolutely fantastic. Even got Peter Hook on it.

I also got a copy of Apollo 440's new album, although I did'nt like their last one, thought I'd try it as I got some vouchers to spend. Very strange, I suppose you can call them diverse, its a 2 disc job, the first features a load of rap/soul singers and the second a more chilled out instrumental affair. However all in all, I don't recommend it. They used to be good, but each album seems to have got steadily worse.

LFO have a new one released shortly (Sep I think) entitled 'sheath' should be one to look out for, promo's are doing the rounds but hard to get hold of.
Mark

Return to Music