Massonix - A Little Bit More 12"

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Lionel D

Post by Lionel D »

Hi All

My name is Lionel de Lillie, but everyone calls me "D". I've been collecting 808 State for more than a decade now. I own a White Label Stamped Promo 12" copy of Massonix's "A Little Bit More" 4 track release on Noise Records (NNR 112). My question is, was this recording ever issued commercially? What are the actual mix names as my edition doesn't furnish them.

The sound is very soulful, a bit like what Soul II Soul or Lisa Stansfield were doing at the time.

Cheers

D
nickking

Post by nickking »

Hi Lionel,

Good to hear from you - I know the name from the discography on the web - good work!

I presume the 12" you have is the one displayed at http://members.aol.com/fujikikun/kanren.html ? If so, then I think that the Massey mix only appeared on the white label, and not commercially, but I could be wrong... Graham?

I'm still collecting a mass of 808/Massey mixes at the moment, with the latest being the wonderful Heitor mix, and the Yes 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' mixes - wonderful!

l8rs,

Nick :wink:
nickking

Post by nickking »

Actually, the whole site (which I've only just discovered!), is superb - check out http://members.aol.com/fujikikun/ and keep clicking on links (even if you can't understand Japanese)...

I wish I could, though...!!

l8rs,

Nick :wink:
Lionel D

Post by Lionel D »

Hi Nick

Gee, the site is great. Yes, i have the same stamped promo - only mine has the tiles stamped above the hole and the "Produced by G Massey of 808 State" stamped below the hole. Thanks for the additional info!

Cheers

D

(Lionel D)
Lionel D

Post by Lionel D »

Hi Nick

What either of the editions miss mentioning, is that Denise Johnson is the featured vocalist. My 12" features her distinctive vocals (she was featured on Sprimal Scream's "Fight it, don't feel it") on two versions. The other two mixes are respectively an instrumental and a smooth soulful version with male vocals? Any ideas who the vocalist can be?

Cheers

D
:smile:
graham

Post by graham »

I think the commercial release has the extra
track RoRR on it ,which was a jam recorded on an ASIA FIELDS session and apropraitly sounds
like a different group on a different record
The male singer on the promo version (ONLY?)
is Barington Stuart who later sang on 808s
10x10,Denise Johnson had also sang on Biting
Tongues LOVE OUT the same year ,
The record does come out of the radio shows such as Stu Allen on local mcr stations in 87 88
smiley

Post by smiley »

yep - the promo version (NNR 112) has four versions...

...two with Denise's vocal, one with Barrington's, and one instrumental.

the commercial release (NNR 512) has 3 versions (the two with Denise's vocal, and the instrumental), plus RO2R.

cheers,

---
Smiley