Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Mark

Post by Mark »

Highly impressive. Good work guys!
markus

Post by markus »

SteveC wrote:Wow, great going guys!!
We keep getting spoilt with ever more additions to the site. This site has to be unrivalled and is now surely the wikipedia for 808state and the best music band site on the net for its updates, history, forums and tracks.
Many thanks for the kind words Steve, appreciated! Considering the limited amount of time we have to work on it and the fact that we have zero budget, I suppose it is rather good :-) Hard to believe the 10 year anniversary (since I took over) is coming up this August. A true labour of love.
SteveC wrote:For those that have the Dr Who theme is it a remix of the theme tune and if so is it on a par with the Orbital mix ?
No, The Master is not a version of the Dr Who theme.
newbuild

ham safar 808 state edit

Post by newbuild »

i just got the mohamed ham safar 12" with the 808 state edit!
i must say its very nice to find some more 808 state w/gerald material...
the overall sound/production is like some other 88/89 singles: let yourself go, dream 17, born in the north and massage-a-rama...in that it features an acid bassline and vocal samples...only this one is much darker...with more melody, too!
now if i can only find the cd!
j.j.
markus

Re: ham safar 808 state edit

Post by markus »

newbuild wrote:i just got the mohamed ham safar 12" with the 808 state edit!
[snip]
now if i can only find the cd!
j.j.
Good luck, it's damn hard to find!
nickking

Post by nickking »

markus wrote:
SteveC wrote:Wow, great going guys!!
We keep getting spoilt with ever more additions to the site. This site has to be unrivalled and is now surely the wikipedia for 808state and the best music band site on the net for its updates, history, forums and tracks.
Many thanks for the kind words Steve, appreciated! Considering the limited amount of time we have to work on it and the fact that we have zero budget, I suppose it is rather good :-) Hard to believe the 10 year anniversary (since I took over) is coming up this August. A true labour of love.
SteveC wrote:For those that have the Dr Who theme is it a remix of the theme tune and if so is it on a par with the Orbital mix ?
No, The Master is not a version of the Dr Who theme.
Indeed - The Master is a different track altogether - a seperate track based on Dudley Simpson's "The Master Theme". Coldcut's "The Theme From Panopticon" (the title track of the EP) is based more on the title theme than "The Master".

A damn fine EP, and (having heard the Orb's track when Alex Paterson played it at an Orb gig back in 2003), it's a shame that the album isn't going to see the light of day...

Oh, btw, many thanks to John (Ancodia) for the original discog (a great help), and to Markus/Solarex/Graham for the additions/corrections.

Now onto the 808 discog - this is going to take some time... :-)
markus

Post by markus »

Just to let you know, Nick and I are working overtime on the discog section at the moment... news to follow when we get there.
markus

Post by markus »

OK punters, here is a sneak-preview of the extremely detailed new 808 State visual discography. A * denotes that a particular release page is finished. Some scans, descriptions and subnavigation still to be added.

Feel free to comment if you spot any mistakes or have additions. Basically however Nick and I are just waiting for nothing but praise! :) Many, many, many hours of scanning and other work have gone into this during the past two weeks and continue to.

Note: some pages are very graphic-heavy, not recommended for viewing with low-band connections.[/i]
Pob

Post by Pob »

Looking good! Very informative and probably the definitive 808 discog. Excellent work you two.

I have found a broken link - The one to Rephlex on the Prebuild page.
markus

Post by markus »

Thanks Simon. Actually Prebuild is the only page that Nick hasn't taken on yet. But I've fixed the Rephlex link. It's a shame they delete their release pages, good thing we copied the blurb.
Last edited by markus on 10 Jan 2008 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
graham

Post by graham »

Praise be! scantastic!
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Apart from the odd spelling mistake it's ok :wink: .........only joking, it's fandabbydozy. Well done guys.
markus

Post by markus »

SteveC wrote:Apart from the odd spelling mistake it's ok :wink: .........only joking, it's fandabbydozy. Well done guys.
Hey, it's not April fool... yet! :)
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

I thought I knew it all but was pleased to find out a new fact that I never worked out. Two fat ladies and a duck represented 808, very clever.

On a seperate note, also just worked out (thanks to Gordon Burns) that 2008 is also represented as 8.08pm on a 24 hour clock so the whole year is 808 based and not just the 8th August. Which is why the capital of culture kicks off tonight in Liverpool at 8.08pm.

It's all too much for me.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

awesome discography, excellent work guys!
solarex

Post by solarex »

Great stuff. I will be happy to contribute some additional images. Where should I do that?