It's 8:08 (Hawaiian skateboard docu)

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

markus

It's 8:08 (Hawaiian skateboard docu)

Post by markus »

Anyone seen this yet? I'm definitely going to it's Dutch premiere. The director will be attending.
Last edited by markus on 06 Jul 2007 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
markus

Post by markus »

markus

Post by markus »

What a nice event. After the screening of this cool film Chuck Mitsui (the maker) was interviewed, which was really interesting (e.g. some of the shots took 70(!) takes before he was happy with them. Then there was a lottery in which Chuck gave away a skateboard personally designed by him with a logo strongly resembling the 808 butterfly logo. Unfortunately I didn't win it. However Chuck spotted my t-shirt and approached me saying how much he liked it. We had a good chat and it turns out he's a visitor of this site and he loves 808 State! The fact that the logo of his skateboard shop 808 Skate is so close to the 808 butterfly logo is purely coincidental (it was created around the same time) and it freaked him out back then.

The film itself apparently sold about 2000 copies on DVD, mainly in Skateboard shops on the US west coast and Japan. I have yet to find a shop selling them on-line.

Well, even though there is no direct 808 State connection, I'm moving this from off-topic to the 808 State forum. There are plenty of numerology references to 808 in this film and the TR-808 get's a short mention plus Chuck is simply a cool guy!

:-)

Here's a short review of the film from skateboarding.com

IT'S 8:08

808 SKATE HAWAI'I

HAOLEWOOD PRODUCTIONS

The first thing you need to know is that this video is comin' straight outta Hawai'i. Written and directed by Chuck Mitsui, It's 8:08 takes a storytelling route through a group of skaters from Hawai'i who all went their separate ways around the world, and it's amazingly well done. There are great voice-overs from the riders and a lot of nice Super-8 footage amid the skating.

Hawai'ian legend Sean Reilly ties the whole thing together. He skates San Diego and Tijuana with Russell George, Japan with Mako Ozaki, and, of course, his homeland of Hawai'i with Matt Chaffin and the amazing Sean Payne (if you've been wondering what Sean's been doing since he quit enjoi, here's your answer: chilling in paradise, skating).

In the end, they all manage to return to the islands to session the spots they grew up skating together. These guys personify the freewheelin' skateboarder's lifestyle. It's infectious-you'll want to travel the world skating (as you should) when you watch this video, and make an extended stay in the Aloha state. One of the best made skate videos I've seen since Blueprint's Lost & Found.-Blair Alley

YOU SHOULD ALREADY OWN