quadrastate whiteS

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

graham

quadrastate whiteS

Post by graham »

Does any one know when the 1 st white lables of quadrastate came out?
(Yes I know I should) and when Gary Davis may have been playing it on radio one?
Its for some research on a Factory Book ..
Nick did you have one of those release sheets?
nickking

Post by nickking »

Damn good question - unfortunately, Quadrastate white-label promo is one of the only ones I'm missing (both the promo and release sheet)!

Here is a scan of the white-label, however:

Well, it was recorded in November 1988, and the saxaphone was added early January 1989 (from the Filofax pages).

The date of the test pressing was 26th May 1989, with 8th July 1989 the first airing on The Other Side Of Midnight. And Quadrastate itself got released on 28th July 1989.

So, I'd guess that Gary Davies (who apparently went to Ibiza that year where he heard it), would have played it on the radio around July/August 1989?

That's just a guess, however?

8)
solarex

Post by solarex »

That scan is my copy. Unfortunetly it lacks the info sheet.
nickking

Post by nickking »

solarex wrote:That scan is my copy. Unfortunetly it lacks the info sheet.
Yup, I meant to mention you, but was hurriedly typing the message whilst at work! :wink:

I got the Newbuild white-label promo recently (with info sheet), but the info sheet was just the Eastern Bloc address and a track lisiting...

8)
graham

Post by graham »

great we had it as aug 89 ish.(gary davis wise) so that corresponds
thanks nick
nickking

Post by nickking »

August would also correspond with Wikipedia, who state:

"The band really hit the big time during the "second summer of love" in 1989 when their song "Pacific State" was picked up by Radio 1 DJ Gary Davies. Davies played the record every day for 3 months on his national primetime lunchtime show until it was released as a single. His promotion singlehandedly helped propel the acid house group to the top of the UK charts and into the public consciousness."

So, given that ZTT released Pacific in December 1989, then August/September (post the "second summer of love") would be about right.

8)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Interestingly, Quadrastate didn't get reviewed in the music papers until September (so, the actual release could have been delayed until then?):

September 2nd - Record Mirror
September 16th - NME

8)