early Internet,w

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

graham

early Internet,w

Post by graham »

We were watching "Electric Dreams" on BBC Four last night, I could nt remember when we firt started messing with the internet , so I found this.http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_ar ... state.html So 16 years ago..!amusing reading! who else had a site back then?
FSOL no doubt.
solarex

Post by solarex »

Remember how you spoke about this "new thing" the internet in the Partyzone show. That was august 94.
nickking

Post by nickking »

Back in 1994? Very few...

From what I can remember back then, Mixmaster Morris definitely had a site, The Black Dog, and possibly The Shamen?

A lot of sites (used) to be on Hyperreal, however a lot of the "mini" sites no longer exist - possbly on some kind of Internet Archive sites?

8)
solarex

Post by solarex »

Spooky - Gargantuan has a website adress on the CD backside. And that is released in 1992. Although the one I've seen can be a re-release.
markus

Post by markus »

I remember the Beastie Boys having a site really early on.
Pob

Post by Pob »

Have all of those 40 unfinished tracks now been finished? SOme obviously went on Don Solaris, others may have ended up on Outpost but are there more to hear?
markus

Post by markus »

Over fifty tracks are on 808state.com...
graham

Post by graham »

we lost a chunk of stuff in a computer crash in about 1995
markus

Post by markus »

graham wrote:we lost a chunk of stuff in a computer crash in about 1995
Arrrrghhhhh! :(
markus

Post by markus »

Which reminds me, an album worth of Benaco (Andy Barker) material apparently got lost due to a computer crash too... :-?
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

God imagine all that time and effort spent to suddenly lose it all, you must feel like commiting suicide. Its bad enough when you lose a page of text without saving it in time and have to redo it all, imagine a whole album, apparently it happened to Orbital as well.
nickking

Post by nickking »

Yes, I can only imagine what that must feel like - I've lost documents (etc) due to computer crashes, but nothing that couldn't be put right with a week or so work... :(

Nowadays, I backup my main personal interests (music/genealogy documents) onto a mirrored network drive at home (i.e. if one drive dies, then at least I can get it working again), which I then (at various intervals) backup onto a DVD-R...

8)
solarex

Post by solarex »

A well known Danish artist had his studio broken into and they ran way with the computers including a lot of finished songs, that did not have an outside backup.

That's where you almost hope for a bootleg release of your songs.
markus

Post by markus »

Yup there's a lot to be said for outside backup. In case of fire all your inhouse back-ups won't do much good.