808 State - Sorry Dog

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Lionel D

Post by Lionel D »

Hi All

The 808 State track "Sorry Dog" sounds to me like "Love Serenade Part II" by Barry White. Do any versions of the song - without the Emma & Donna vocals - exist. And what 808 State members play on this track?

Thanks

D
graham

Post by graham »

the meembers at that point were Graham /martin and Gerald ...Donna is Darren partingtons sister (age 10? at the time) and Emma was
gerald simpsons girlfriends niece age 8
recorded at spirit studios (Barry White?)
Gerald simpsons track Barber Barber was
recorded at Out of the blue
also Graham and Gerald recorded Z bend with
the ruthless rap assasins(Gerald does 101 bass,Graham engineers , also Graham produced and played the instruments on the
kiss amc track which appears in a different guise on Recharge an unreleased Biting tongues album from 88 available only as a promo double vynil on cut deep label...
there is a copy of edward not edward containing all theses tracks in kIng Bee
records at the moment, if any one is dead
botherd I could get it as its rare as
hens teeth, I just picked up Belly 12inch
also by Edward Barton in the same shop
Im after Born in the North
also by edward Barton and performed on
the other side of midnight TV show(Tony Wilson,Granada 1989)with Gerald Simpson and
Graham Massey also Hanif cousins and VIV?
nickking

Post by nickking »

Hi Graham,

I have a copy of 'Born In The North' which I can copy and send/give (in Glasgow) via Markus if you want?

There's also a couple of online stores ( http://www.netsounds.com/ - search for Born In The North' under search field 'Title') who have multiple copies of the 12"...

Just managed to pick up a couple of Ed's records - 'Me And My Mini'/'I've Got No Chicken But I've Got Five Wooden Chairs' and also 'Belly Box Brother Gob' ('Telephone Box'/'Knob Gob'/'Slap My Belly'/'Everyday I try To Find The Man Who Killed My Brother') - sublime!

Check out http://homepages.force9.net/king1/Barton/ for an (uncomplete) discography and check out the 'Pudding' single (Ed and others) where they had a single called 'A Little Christmas Eve Thieving' - absoultely superb, although I'm not sure what a 'Manchester Hammer' is??!!!

BTW, 'Edward Not Edward' is superb - wish these would come out on CD at some point...!!

l8rs,

Nick :wink:
nickking

Post by nickking »

Forgot to mention - check out the Ruthless Rap Assassins home page (not mine!) at http://www.rapassassins.f9.co.uk/index.html - check the sounds page...!

Also, check out http://www.sundried.co.uk/sunnyblack/index.html for a new Rap Assassins collaboration!

l8rs,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickking on 2002-04-09 19:22 ]</font>
Lionel D

Post by Lionel D »

Hi all

I own the "Edward Not Edward" LP, so two questions (1) Is the lyric booklet still available (2) Who is Edward Barton?

Cheers

D
nickking

Post by nickking »

I don't think the booklet is still available, but if it is, I wouldn't mind a copy...!!

Obviously Graham will know more, but he's essentially a poet/songwriter who's most famous for penning "It's A Fine Day" - originally by Jane (Ed's then girlfriend?), and later covered by Opus III, which was then sampled by Orbital (for their song, Halcyon) and also later covered by Miss Jane.

Recently, he's written some lyrics for Lost Witness (a trance band on Ministry of Sound), as Lost Witness sampled "It's a Fine Day" (for the song "Fine Night" under the alias "Dusk Till Dawn"), which Ed heard and then asked to write the lyrics. Several of the songs that Ed wrote the lyrics for are "Happiness Happening", "Red Sun Rising", and "7 Colours".

Hope this helps,

graham

Post by graham »

I got edward not edward to day for an anonamous webb member £3,Then Ive just bumped
in to Ed at the shops who says it goes for £50 second hand ..probably bigging himself up...I bought my current house off his brother and Ed lives in the next street to me

Hes an Artist /song writer for many years once wrote an acapella song called its a fine day which was later cut up and used in opus 3 s hit of the same name.
Howard Walmsley and I once made a video for him
in his flat where we had to take out a whole floor and stair way ..he later admited it wasnt his flat and it belonged
to the boyfriend of a police woman ,consequently we were questioned by the police..His other flat in Hulme MCR was completely decked out in railway sleepers
like a log cabin ,it looked amasing ,his niebhor at this point was Gerald Simpson
A few flats up was a studio called the KITCHEN which was later famous as the after hours party venue for the Hacienda heads..It got shut down when some one fell off the roof..Theses flats are in 808s 1 in 10 video...ED still does odd ball caberet nights in the local pub,Paddy and I have performed recently in wardrobes there...We recorded a track with one of his singers(He has a stable of singers)for
Don Solaris behind why it never came out but hey ..lets keep a bit of mystery

Post by Guest »

hi lionel.

glad to know that you're still around! markus and i where wondering about you only a week or two ago.

we only need Josh and Scott to re-appear from under their rock, and all the original global-staters will be around. :wink:

i can't add any more to graham's huge amounts of info, but i do remember getting the "edward, not edward" album for you many, many moons ago now - i think i found it in camden...

...but i can also recommend his own album "Here Is My Spoon". top stuff!

cheers,

---
Smiley
nickking

Post by nickking »

Have you got that?

I'd love a copy :wink:

See ya soon...

smiley

Post by smiley »

hi nick.

yep - i'll do you an MD copy (it's on vinyl) when i get a chance...

...give me a kick in a few weeks!

cheers,

---
Smiley
markus

Post by markus »

Moved this topic to the 808 related forum, as it is pretty 808 related I think...