Bjork Massey mention

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Bjork Massey mention

Postby markus » 01 Jul 2011 09:49

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/ju ... ork-review

---snip---
"Manchest-ahh! Graham Massey is here!" she squealed, as excitedly as if 808 State's forgotten dance boffin was Elvis, and prompting an outbreak of head-scratching among the under-35s.
---snip---
markus

Re: Bjork Massey mention

Postby markus » 01 Jul 2011 22:03

A lot of name dropping in this one:
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... -city-girl
---snip---
Her relationship with the city is a long one. Way back in 1990, she hooked up with local dance music trio 808 State to sing on and co-write two tracks on their ground-breaking 1991 album ex:el.

Fans of her band The Sugarcubes, 808 State brought Bjork over for live shows, including their massive Manchester homecoming at the G-Mex (now Manchester Central). Bjork remembers it well, but more than anything remembers how that time shaped her future musical direction.

“I definitely feel grateful to Manchester,” she enthuses. “I came here so long ago as an 808 State fan and they took me to raves and clubbing.

“I had never seen anything like it! I still keep in touch with Graham (Massey, the group’s guitarist, keyboadist and saxophonist) and I am looking forward to spending time together with him while I’m here and meeting some people I haven’t met since back then.”
---snip---
markus

Postby markus » 08 Jul 2011 14:13

"And here in the city where she forged her post-Sugarcubes career with the assistance of 808 State's Graham Massey, it seems fitting she should be providing the opening night of the three-week extravaganza of delights. Many of the city's great and good who turned out in force at the old Campfield Victorian market hall will have spent a good number of blissed-out dawns unwinding to the Icelandic singer's first solo albums in the early 1990s."
markus

Postby markus » 08 Jul 2011 14:14

"Every one of Björk's records is different," enthused Brown. "And that's partly because she's always working with new people." Her taste in collaborators is indeed impeccable – Tricky, Matmos, Robert Wyatt, Timbaland, 808 State's Graham Massey, LFO's Mark Bell, Zeena Parkins, Rahzel – but it's always her vision and personality that sets the tone, and it's her talent that brings out the best in her audio-accomplices.
markus

Postby markus » 08 Jul 2011 14:15

"There aren't many techno-house producers from Manchester," he says, perhaps too young to remember 808 State's Graham Massey, who went on to collaborate with Björk and attended her Manchester show last week.
markus

Return to 808 State discussion