808 State: Blueprint (Greatest Bits) CD

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Ancodia

Re: Best of 808 (Blueprint)

Post by Ancodia »

Just downloaded from Beatport I had a couple of Gift Cards from Native Instruments related purchases to use.
Now I have to go and uninstall Adobe Air (shouldn't have had to download it in the first place, last tracks I download from Beatport).

As expected from the previews Cobra Bora and Metaluna are fantastic!

J
markus

Re: Best of 808 State (Blueprint)

Post by markus »

Can any American fans out there confirm if the Blueprint CD is released today in the US???
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

"808 State will return". I like the sound of that.
Mark

Post by Mark »

808 State will return?

That's a bit cryptic, come on give us a little more than that!!!
Pob

Post by Pob »

SteveC wrote:"808 State will return". I like the sound of that.
Me too.

:D
markus

Post by markus »

According to play.com, Blueprint is shipping today :)
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

So for the past twenty odd years, 808s 'loyal' fans have been Rave Connoisseurs..................I like the sound of that :)
N.JOHNSON

Post by N.JOHNSON »

808 State will return?

I also like the sound of that. Imagine a new album with bang up to date sound but with that certain flavour only found in an 808 mixed or produced track. It's a bold statement (excuse the pun) but how true? Is Graham keeping some secrets about what he, Daz and Andy are doing these days? Are there secret meetings in the recording studio for laying down new material? I, like all 808 fans hope so. Fingers crossed for the future then. Until then keep the unreleased tracks coming and posted on the sounds page for Graham's masses to be entertained.

Nick. :D
CakeSaint

Post by CakeSaint »

Unfortunately, the US release that was supposed to be delivered 13 September suddenly got pushed back indefinitely, then I got an email from Amazon that they are planning to deliver it sometime between 27 September and 04 October. Hope that's reliable...
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

Amazon UK have just e-mailed to say Blueprint has been dispatched! :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

I had an e-mail last wednesday to say Play had dispatched - still nothing yet :(
markus

Post by markus »

UK CD officially released today. Anyone checked any physical UK stores yet?
MarkDemon

Post by MarkDemon »

Listening to it now in the office, the joys of being able to have stuff delivered to work and listen to it too :wink:.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Finally arrived today! Listening right now! I don't think I can add much more than the reviews already posted but here's my quick tupenneth;

Sleeve notes are great, nice complimentary foreword by Mr Hartnoll (Can't come from a more highly regarded source!) giving evidence that 'Blueprint' is an aptly chosen title.

Original tracks we all know and love (Pacific (origin) Nephatiti, Firecracker, Lopez, Lemonsoul & Qmart) blend wonderfully with the new re-workings.

The re-visited versions of In Yer Face, Timebomb, Nimbus, Cobra Bora and 606 are magnificent, they make the tracks sound really fresh, and bring them smack bang up to date, especially the glorious In Yer Face and thumping rave-monster of a track that is Timebomb.

Plan 9 (Horn Edit) sounds great, morphing into the Choki galaxy mix towards the end, The word production mix of Olympic doesn't sound too different from other versions but still a top track, and the AFX remix of Flow Coma is pure chopped up meatiness! I've never overly liked the MM remix of Cubik but it does freshen up the original and is probably the best version to use on this CD, (although in hindsight, for me, a case could be made for the 21st anniversary download version???)

New stuff, the Metaluna bassline and acid stabs and squidges of Compulsion are mashed to brilliant effect, is that a little bit of Donkey Doctor I detect at the end? Spanish Ice is truly fantastic, sounds really cinematic in parts, certainly a highlight of the album.

All in all an outstanding complilation and probably a better representation overall than the heavily single led 88:98, If indeed 808 state do return as per the liner notes, and Spanish Ice is anything to go by we are all in for one hell of a treat! I have been privileged to be an 808 fan over the last 2 decades and I sincerely hope the ride is not over yet! :P
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Blueprint. What to include, what to exclude? Upon reading the track listing many would question as to why certain tracks made the cut and others omitted, but upon listening it becomes clear that as a history of electro and of 808 State, every track belongs.

The reworked ‘Timebomb’ is relentless from start to finish, never losing its momentum. ‘Cobra Bora’ merges the old school rave with the subtle sax tones of ‘Pacific’ to create a monster punch, surely the track of the decade. While ‘Nimbus’ punctures the emotions and senses with breathtaking beauty. Instrumental music can be emotional.

Hypnotic and addictive, Blueprint is a feast of musical flavours. 'Spanish Ice' enduces visions of gliding between the planets and Saturns rings. While the genre defying 'Metaluna' is proof that 808 State can still create the musical 'blueprint' for the next generation of music makers to follow.

808 State : Blueprint, 808 State : Saluted