The 808 State Radio Show returns (and leaves)

Discuss 808 State Radio Shows, DJ sets, podcasts, interviews etc.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Pete100

Re: The 808 State Radio Show returns (and leaves)

Post by Pete100 »

It says on the Beatwolf website that the 808 show has not been cancelled, just put on hold while they move offices.
markus

Post by markus »

Really? That wouldn't explain why other shows are still on?
SPW

Post by SPW »

No offense, but I caught a bit of the 808 DJ's and it was awful.
markus

Post by markus »

Thanks for the constructive criticism, must be your Texan humour we don't get once again.
SPW

Post by SPW »

Let me double check to make sure it was them. This is off the stations site.
SPW

Post by SPW »

Yeah, sorry Markus but it's a wee bit obnoxious for my taste -> 808 State Saturday 18 August. It's like they're going for commercial appeal. 808 State produce some good tracks though. :wink:

Here's an interesting tidbit on how commercial radio is programmed:

A music station will select its format based on the local competition, competency or specialization of the owner or owner corporation and, in some cases, a research project that defines the format, its target and its "borders."

The base for the music is some kind of audience research. For the non-current songs, a music test will be done where listeners who listen to the station (or who would listen in the case of a new format) hear snippets of songs and score them. In the case of new music, there is always a point where the PD [Program Director] or music director has to take a risk on a new song, often guided by what other market stations are doing. Other currents are tested online or on the phone.

So the station knows the best songs, and also knows which ones will drive many or most listeners away. The library is retested as often as possible as songs get crispy and need to be rested or killed... and some songs may age out of the target demo, etc.

Almost all stations schedule using a specialized computer program. The program tracks when songs played, and tries to play them in different dayparts before coming back. It also keeps songs by the same artist well separated (unless the station wants to do an artist two-fer or three-fer) and looks to maintain things like era, tempo, texture, etc. Songs will be put in categories or coded so that the bigger songs play more often, and the weaker ones less; in some cases, a PD will feel that certain songs "stick out" more than others, and will make a judgment call on slowing such songs down in rotation.

The program then can create a daily log. The PD [Program Director] or MD [Music Director] will then manually massage the hour by hour logs of music for the best flow and feel by editing. Editing is a very subjective process and is usually done by a person who understands the format and also knows how and when to make exceptions to the broader rules set up in the computer program.

Obviously, there are many individual ways of doing what I describe. And there are exceptions to some of my broad points. Of course, specialty shows, feature weekends and such are handled differently.
SPW

Post by SPW »

One improvemnet I think would be to just play straight up techno and less talk which you can't understand unless you're from Manchester.
nickking

Post by nickking »

SPW wrote:One improvemnet I think would be to just play straight up techno and less talk which you can't understand unless you're from Manchester.
That would make it shit...

8)
SPW

Post by SPW »

nickking wrote:
SPW wrote:One improvemnet I think would be to just play straight up techno and less talk which you can't understand unless you're from Manchester.
That would make it shit...

8)
808 State's radio show would be more popular if they stayed true to the music they create but then again what do I know. Some people may actually enjoy British rap electro-house or whatever that stuff was Lol.
SPW

Post by SPW »

I created my own show. Putting a show together is a lot harder than it seems. You can check it out here: LINK