Graham and the 808

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Graham and the 808

Postby SPW » 22 Mar 2014 01:01

http://t.co/cwFxSL4f2z

Old 808 State reminds me of the R8 or R70 not so much the Roland 808 unless the very early material like Newbuild. British Acid House. Every time I hear an R8 drum machine I think of Excel. Pure 808 was used in a lot of old rap with a slower tempo. Some old house used a real 808. Miami bass was mostly sampling of the 808. Of course electro, electric boogaloo, break dancing music had a lot of 808 but also digital drum machines. In America it was just break dancing music that was considered a fad by the mid 1980s. I remember by 1989 when the Roland TR's became popular because of acid house and techno it was mostly 909. Artist would use a 909 or with 808 snare hits. Early warp, bleep techno is an example. Graham pointed out the 808 in pop records without mentioning Phil Collins. :wink: I know some Brits don't like him and consider him to be a wanker because of politics. 808 started to make its way in a lot of dirty south rap during the 90s and 2000s but a lot of that was sampling and not very good music.

When minimal and laptop music came around in EDM the 808 really isn't that prevalent in a lot of today's EDM, neither is the 909. EDM is just an off shoot of rave music that made it way into popular culture. So an EDM record you would hear today in a store while shopping for toothpaste may have little to do with older house or the underground dance music. Synthetic electronic beats and sample libraries from contemporary software. A pure 808 or 909 would sound very retro these days and be used in a retro context.
SPW

Re: Graham and the 808

Postby SPW » 22 Mar 2014 01:25

I think 808 State should release a new album just using the Roland R8, R70 and maybe something weird like the RARE sakata dpm 48 DRUMCOMPUTER. Of course olf synthesizers like the BIT 1 and samplers. If 808 State released an album today it would probably be have an IDM, glitch music quality like their last album. It would be funny if new 808 State was like total sell out electro house, Las Vegas club sound with annoying build ups. 808 State did cross over to the commercial scene so new 808 State would probably have to have a commercial music quality to it working with vocalist etc. but 808 State also leaned more toward alternative or college radio music which is now indie rock. People either totally love hipster Portlandia indie rock or hate it. Commercial EDM is the same way. You either are one of these people who just follow what is trendy and popular and like it or are just totally irritated by Pit Bull, Avicii et al. I think 808 State should cash in on the resurgence of retro gear like the TR-8 and totally sell out trying to make another hit record. Hearing the same old Cubik and Pacific State gets boring. Instead of small indie labels 808 State need another commercial hit record.
SPW

Postby graham » 22 Mar 2014 12:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4gPc2wlTdg
I did a small radio doc for BBCRadio 4 's TODAY PROGRAMME yesterday ,

This was a result of a piece in the Guardian Last week
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/mar/06/roland-tr-808-drum-machine-revolutionised-music
which probably resulted from this video for Dawsons Music .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mILzj1fywyo
graham

Postby SPW » 03 Apr 2014 11:19

New Order - Confusion is worth mentioning. From Manchestah
SPW

Postby PatFromCanada » 11 Jun 2014 00:46

Brilliant vids Graham... I love my 808 but I can't ever 'only' use that in my recordings...

Much like yerselves I toss in a bit of other kits to brighten up hits or add tighter punches ect. I had a Boss DR55 once and that was a hoot... but too thin sounding really... I found when I finally got around to getting a 909 back in 2000 it really add a bottom and punch I needed.

Interestingly enough... I pre-mix my beats down on a folio mixer (xox's and samplers) then route them through my S900 sampler for a compressed sound. Seems to work in the mix for me.

Pat (montebello)
PatFromCanada

Return to 808 State discussion