Record Store Day 2019: 808 State - "Four States of 808" 4LP box

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

nickking

Re: Record Store Day 2019: 808 State - 4LP box

Post by nickking »

Chris the Boy wrote: 01 Mar 2019 16:05 The Eno 7" of Lopez is indeed on Blueprint.

I can see only two unreleased things on here so far, but having said this, Ian Peel (who has compiled this, and, as usual, hasn't done it in any way I'd have liked) has previously given standard names to previously unreleased mixes, eg. the slightly different mix of "Kill the pain" on Frankie said.

I don't think that the "bass gate" thing is a misprint; I think it'll be a variant of the Euro bass mix.
Yes, agreed - ancodiacobrabora and the Bassgate mix thus far... But, the Moses 7" could potentially be classed as "unreleased" being promo-only...?

8)
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Sounds like fun.

Wouldn't surprise me if ancodiacobrabora is just ancodia or both tracks as they appeared on 90 but as one, rather than a new mix. ZTT have a history of sloppy errors. Not sure why Cobra Bora should appear on two different style 12"s, but not complaining.

Contrique isn't really a versus track. Maybe Lopez would have been more at home on that 12" and they could have swapped places.

Looking forward to it, if I manage to get one.
Chris the Boy

Post by Chris the Boy »

Contrique isn't really a versus track. Maybe Lopez would have been more at home on that 12" and they could have swapped places.
Yes, much more sensible. "Contrique" is no more a collaboration than, say, 808 using a sample of The Jam's "Start" or Bowie's "Chant of the ever-circling skeletal family". But Peel's decisions very rarely make sense to me, no matter how much he tries to justify them in print.

At least he's finally got round to writing "Utsula Head mix", after years of wrongly writing "Utsala Head".
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

nickking wrote: 02 Mar 2019 12:48
Ancodia wrote: 01 Mar 2019 12:46 The Dust Brothers Mix should be on the updated North at it's Heights album.
Ah, but that was released in Japan...! :wink:
North at it's Heights Expanded Edition on Itunes and Spotify if that counts.
nickking

Post by nickking »

Ancodia wrote: 13 Mar 2019 14:56
nickking wrote: 02 Mar 2019 12:48
Ancodia wrote: 01 Mar 2019 12:46 The Dust Brothers Mix should be on the updated North at it's Heights album.
Ah, but that was released in Japan...! :wink:
North at it's Heights Expanded Edition on Itunes and Spotify if that counts.
True! :)
graham

Post by graham »

Price is a fairly cheap £43.99 on the Piccadilly Records website - not so bad for 4 x vinyl.
Chris the Boy

Post by Chris the Boy »

Asked at Rough Trade Nottingham today. They're selling it for £50, and have ordered only three copies, so they'll get three maximum. Same price and number re. the Propaganda 4x12". So, thanks to Graham, we know it'll be cheaper in Manchester.

It occurred to me – and this is a long shot, but bearing in mind Ian Peel's labelling of mixes on The Art of the 12" … series – that the third "unreleased" track might be … "In yer face"? On this set, it is labelled neither "(edit)" nor "(in yer face mix)", and on the rerelease of Ex:el, Peel added the latter mix name to the title. I wondered whether the version on the 4x12" might be longer than the edit but shorter than the version on Ex:el? As I said, it was a long shot!

I'm going to give this a miss. If there was more unreleased stuff, and if it wasn't defaced by yet another Philip Marshall "design", then maybe I'd have given it a shot.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

The store closest to me (8 miles away) has 2 copies in, so I think most stores probably only get 2 or 3 of whatever they decide to stock. I presume Manchester would get more of the 808 release, but then you're 'fighting' with more people to get it. I'll probably try and get it, not for it's content but because it's an 808 release and limited. Just got to get there before they open.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

SPOILER ALERT

IF YOU HAVE THE ALBUM AND HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET THEN BEST NOT TO READ THIS MESSAGE :

Queued for 2 hours not expecting to get a sniff, but as I got nearer to the door I looked through the window and could see the 808 cover staring straight at me. Luckily I was the first to get one of the two copies available.

The only track that appears unreleased is the Olympic (Eurobassgate mix).

Ancodiacobrabora is a hybrid of both tracks. Namely a shortened Ancodia which then stops abruptly into what seems like an edit of the call the cops mix of Cobra Bora. So there is in effect two call the cops mixes of Cobra Bora on this release, edit and original.

BUT, there are FOUR 'bonus' tracks that appear which aren't mentioned on the cover. Each 12" has one extra track :

1 Cobra Bora (Shortcut)
2 Fat Shadow (Pointy Head Mix)
3 Unknown - Presumably unreleased track
4 Pacific - Seems to be an edited reworking of the 909 version.
Chris the Boy

Post by Chris the Boy »

The pre-release on ZTT's site did mention "hidden" tracks. But the text implied that the three previously unreleased tracks were in addition to any hidden bits. So it sounds as though Olympic (Euro bass gate mix) and Ancodiacobrabora are the two unreleased tracks, and maybe either the Moses 7" (wrongly), or the unreleased hidden track that you mention.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

On the reverse it does say the previously unreleased tracks are :

Ancodiacobrabora
Olympic
Moses
nickking

Post by nickking »

SteveC wrote: 13 Apr 2019 13:52 1 Cobra Bora (Shortcut)
2 Fat Shadow (Pointy Head Mix)
3 MC Tunes - Dub At Its Heights
4 Pacific (Bonus Bird Beats)
From discogs!

8)
nickking

Post by nickking »

SteveC wrote: 13 Apr 2019 16:50 On the reverse it does say the previously unreleased tracks are :

Ancodiacobrabora (merging of the 7" edits - discogs)
Olympic (allegedly the same as the DMC mix here)
Moses (previously available on the US Promo CD Single)
8)
Chris the Boy

Post by Chris the Boy »

So instead, I went down to Reckless Records on Berwick Street, and finally bought 'Let yourself go'/'Deepville', which I've never had on 12" (shameful, I know :( ), for £5. I'd forgotten just what a beautiful record this is. The ascending, whirling strings sample on 'Let yourself go' sounds like part of Graham's contribution, and a taste of things to come later, such as the 'Big Country' samples on 'The only rhyme that bites' – but maybe Graham could comment on that?

RSD releases are all very well, but I'd rather keep buying the missing bits of back catalogue that I still don't have.
nickking

Re: Record Store Day 2019: 808 State - "Four States of 808" 4LP box

Post by nickking »

So, has anyone actually played this yet??

Having had a busy past 6 months (!) what with work (and life!), I've only just started playing the boxset...

And there's a duplicated Disc 2 in Disc 3's sleeve....

So, *NO* disc 3...

Looking at discogs.com, it seems I'm not alone... :x :x :x :x :x