War

Discuss non-musical topics that are not related to 808 State or music.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

David

War

Post by David »

I'm currently in the US at the moment and I honestly cannot believe Bush is going to war without UN backing.
Surely this makes Bush a War Criminal ?

He has now paved the way for any nutter in future to declare war on anyone.
He has split Europe,paved the way for more terrorist attacks and has led this world into a dangerous frightening era which we only escaped from in the 1940s.
Yep we have gone back 60 years!
He will cost Blair his job ruin the British parliament and has made the French a hated race in America.

Most Americans seem to rally to their country's cause too at moments like this too.
War is so much part of their culture almost as if they need it.

Married to an American I now realise that being even half American means-on purely a selfish level that we cannot travel now to 70% of the world for fear of being kidnapped or killed.All those experiences of travelling to different countries,enjoying different cultures and music will be gone.
Even travelling now as a Westerner is dangerous.
Working is wonderful cities like NY,SanFran and Washington will be dangerous too. America will become the most hated country in the 21 century.

Why can we not just celebrate different cultures and different music and love our neighbours.

Here's to the forever hope of World Peace.
David

Post by David »

Footnote:

I don't really want to get into the right or wrongs of war but declaring war on someone is a disgrace.

Everything they accuse Saddam of-Israel's Ariel Sharon is doing.l
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

America are the greediest nation on earth and their "democracy" has been shown to be corrupt, not only in the presidential election but in every day policy making. Policies are based on how it will affect their politicians or friends and family and not the nation. The reasons for attacking Iraq are money motivated and the amazing statistic from this war is that if it is successful then ONLY certain US companies will be able to take over in Iraq, and it just so happens that vice president Dick Cheney owned a number of them in the past......what a coincidence!

Expect a McDonalds in Baghdad soon.
Ancodia

War - Huh, what is is good for?

Post by Ancodia »

To quote one of my favourite comedians of all time:

"What we've gotta do, is round them all up in a field... ...and Bomb the Bastards!"

Kenny Everrett as General Norm Bomthebastards

L8RS,
John :D
808state's Tartan Army

The Americans cock-up again

Post by 808state's Tartan Army »

14 British servicemen dead. None killed in action. Once again the trigger happy Yanks kill more Brits than the Iraqis. Not even our journalists are safe. Terry Lloyd R.I.P.
This will turn into Vietnam mk2 and they won't even get Saddam.
A Gillian S

A Gillian S

Post by A Gillian S »

What offends me the most is the ineptness of our own armed forces. So much more of the deaths occur out of friendly fire forces from our troops. Honestly we have too much power to know what to do with it. It's all a very macho we-are-the-guardians-of-the-world attitude. It's really a shame.

Funny though, Iraq fired of 4 scud missles they weren't even supposed to possess.. oops?

Unfortunately, as alienated as America is, it prides itself in it. Everyone's 'proud to be american', and it gives them the lisence to disrespect and shit on anything that doesn't follow the "American way". You wouldn't believe the anti-european bullshit that has been circulating ever since the start of the war to justify our actions.

As a (hopefully) rational american, i knew that this was inevitable once Bush was elected. As far as I have heard, the UN did not denounce the war, but did not support the war either (meaning that Bush is not a war criminal, not that that matters much in public opinion). Our lack of proximity and sheltering media gives most americans no idea of what is going on, and most americans like to live in a safe complacency. Thank god for the internet, or i'd be brainwhashed! =p

sorry for the rant all, i'm just going to keep bracing myself until the dust settles.

- Gillian
Mark

Post by Mark »

This is a very difficult subject, as everyone is going to have differences of opinion. I just hope that its over as quick as possible and that the innocent people caught up in the war do not suffer too much.

Nobody can seriously have wanted this war to happen if it could have been avoided, but the pictures of the Iraqis on TV and in the papers gloating over the dead coalition troops really pissed me off. You have to ask the question if they are doing that to human beings and parading the dead as trophy killings what kind of people are they? If indeed they can be classed as people at all.

War is a terrible thing and nobody wants asks for it, but hopefully only good can come of this and the future of Iraq will be brighter. I am not condoning the act, but I hope it is ultimately for the better. Its no good debating it now, as its too late for that, the fight is already underway.

My thoughts are with the US / British troops on the frontline. Particularly those poor US troops that have been captured and the brave souls that have already lost thier lives. My good friend is a British Marine and he's in the gulf now. Lets hope casualties are kept to a minimum and most of our forces return home safely. I don't suspect if they had a choice they would want to fight, but that option is out of thier hands. I certainly would not like to be out there.

I repsect everyones view of this situation and hope that everyone only wants one outcome and that is eventual peace, if that can ever truly happen. At least we can all take our minds off it by listening to 808.

Thats my rant over!!!

Peace 2 all.
st8te08

Post by st8te08 »

Being dutch and living in Germany it is quite unbelievable that the germans are not going to war. It is about the first time they are doing the right thing.

Uncle Sam however is showing his ignorance and intolerance in perfection. They don't understand muslim mentality and judge by western standards. Democracy does not have any manifestation within muslim believe, or can you name a muslim country that has a rightfull democratic government (apart from Egypt and Turkey who struggle keeping it up) ??

If the bloody americans don not respect the cultural diversity they might as well attack Japan (once again) !!

Which wars have the americans lead and won rightfully ? All invasions they have led were a necessity to clean up the mess their own secret services had made. It is bizarre to try and catch the 'villains' you have created, supported and sponsored.

Tony Blair is biting his own arse for committing to early.

One thing Tony 'get your folks out of there and let JWB, clean up his own mess' !! :x
A Gillian S

*sigh*

Post by A Gillian S »

Alright now as a fairly open minded american i agree that this war is ridiculous, but unfortunately inevitable. The weapons that Saddam had been hiding had to be dealt with i suppose, and as an added bonus we have an excuse to take a dictator from power.

*However* i think going out and saying America's attack stems from a disrespect of cultural diversity is a bit far fetched to say the least. Like it or not, america is quite culturally diverse, and *gasp* has a large enough muslim community. Yes, i will agree that the U.S. can be like a bull in a china shop some times, but i'd like to give them kudos for trying and not being apathetic to a psycho dictator (who, on a side note, happens to employ a government rapist for torture, yes! isn't that fascinating...) who has made himself available some weapons of mass destruction.

Point being: I simply won't let you shove *entirely* all of this on American heads, especially because your comparison makes very little sense. Attacking Japan? You've got to be totally ignorant of Americans and our situation to make a comment like that... Greedy? Sure. Maybe even culturally ignorant. But a disrespect of cultural diversity? No, it was the germans that practiced "disrespect of cultural diversity" the way i see it.

sorry. i'll take a deep breath and stop now.
David

Post by David »

Well the pictures I have seen of babies killed and maimed-by coaltion forces-made me physically sick.

We expect more from supposedly democratic countries.
A Gillian S

enlighten me

Post by A Gillian S »

please direct me to this pictures so i can see for myself. from what i understood, the numbers have been few enough, and we have kept civilian casualties to a minimum. *so* point me to the article, so i may enlighten myself to this *gross* injustice.
nickking

Post by nickking »

More will be known once the war is over, and reports from Baghdad hospitals filter through, free from wartime propaganda.

For the moment, go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 930813.stm or http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast ... i.charity/

l8rs,

Nick
A Gillian S

ahem

Post by A Gillian S »

while it is unfortunate that the kid lived amidst his country's military installations, i would hardly call that "babies killed and maimed". It is also dangerous to assume that all reports coming from Iraq are propaganda-free.
Dr.Walsh

Post by Dr.Walsh »

Hi,

If you wold like to read eye-witness reports from people of over 30 nationalities who have been in Iraq as human shields go to:

www.humanshields.org

Another good web-site is:

www.unitedforpeace.org

Peace to you all,

'Dr.' Walsh
David

Post by David »

Well I saw these pics on Yahoo and Al Jazeera.

At least 100 people were killed by US forces when two markets were bombed-that is a fact.14 at roadblocks.

Artillery shells and cluster bombs were fired into the town of Basra-hardly precision targetting.

1000 Iraqis dead at least 400 civilians.

Operation Iraqi Liberation or O.I.L. for short!

P.S.Bowling for Columbine is a must see film