Religion

Discuss non-musical topics that are not related to 808 State or music.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

SteveC

Religion

Post by SteveC »

I can't believe the state of the world we live in, and in my opinion most of it is due to contrasting religions.

Why do we have to have religions, it is only a way of brainwashing an individual into believing a certain faith, it is a con and a fraud. Trust me once your 6 feet under thats it, the end, no heaven, no hell, no reincarnation no nothing, just worm feed.

The sooner we all realise this the better then we can sort out the worlds problems and make the most of what we've got for us and our children, instead of pretending that flying a plane into a building will send you to a higher place.

Value this life as this is the miracle of your existence and it's taken you billions of years to get here, so don't waste it.

The Tooth Fairy was a con..........remember believing that

Santa was a con........remember believing that

Religion is on the same level except instead of believing as a child we are brainwashed into believing and practising it for a lifetime, the biggest con going.

If you should wish to worship anything, worship the SUN, this created life on our planet and continues to provide the fuel of life every second of every day. When this dies we die, no God can rescue us, so don't be taken in by mumbo jumbo.

Just look at poor Dr Kelly, he commited suicide, WHY, because he believed he would escape this world and go to the next. What a waste of a life, his local clergy should be tried for murder, they brainwashed him into killing himself, all those people who kill themselves with the same intentions.

The Church and Religious preachers are con merchants and killers.
Dr.Walsh

Post by Dr.Walsh »

alright steve,

you've certainly opened a can of worms there haven't you?

i agree with some of what you say, but i do believe in re-incarnation. there's just something about it that makes an instinct in me feel that it's true, and i have certainly had feelings about various past-lives. i don't know much about the subject but my own experiences point towards believing it.

imo, everyone has certain information to contibute and enrich, there's truth and clues and insights in all religions, and all have peace and living a decent life at the core of their principles (even if it does get a bit twisted or stray from the original point).

imo, they all have their purpose, and to be honest, they probably have got a lot of people through bad times (aswell as causing them i might add!).

imo, religions such as christianity and islam are young religions and have yet to formulate their ideas properly. imo, they've done some homework, handed it in early, got a C-, decided it's the way to go and can't be bothered finishing the project at the moment. i'm sure they are going to do all their research in time! :)

buddhism and hinduism have plenty of years on the others - that is probably why they are a bit more chilled out, age equaling a little more wisdom in this case imo. :)

i have some experience of the shit side of religion, and i'm lucky i wasn't brainwashed at an early age, but i feel you've got to try and understand where they're coming from, everybody is looking for meaning (to quote a certain lass from rochdale!) and religion is a quick fix for a lot of people.

whatever, it is a very beautiful world, the good far outweighs the bad imo, and the bad is there to balance things up and drive us on to make a better world imo.

i also think you saying that you know there is no next life, etc is a little bit short-sighted - do you know for sure, do you know something that the rest of us don't know???? [cue tabloid headlines '808 fan finds meaning to life!' - sorry, just me manc sense of humour! ;)]

i believe the sun won't die - the sun is going to keep on rising mate! :)

spread love all over the world :)

'dr.' walsh :)
David

Post by David »

As a lapsed Catholic-I will go to hell if I kill myself-so I wont :wink:

I agree with a lot of what Steve C says but I do believe in something out there.
We all have soul (yeah!).

I do believe in something.I met my wife for the first time only 2 years ago and we clicked totally.I feel there are at least a few more "Ones" out there aswell.

So how do we explain that ? How you can feel you know a person all your life-and my wife grew up in a different culture 3000 miles away from me.

Plus the human eye is a remarkable invention-too complex I feel for it to be invented by pure chance.

I do wonder sometimes when I see animals killing each other.What's that all about ? Is life all about the survival of the fittest or are we different ?
Scary thoughts.

Phew-too much thinking for me today.
David

Post by David »

Oh and regarding religion.

Well I think it is a good thing if it helps people through bad times.
It is also good if it brings happiness to people.
I work with a lovely woman who is very much into religion.That is her life.
She dresses very well,always very hygienic and she is probably the happiest person I have ever met.

Having said all that religion has caused a hell of a lot of suffering and muder in this world.St george was a religious crusader who slayed thousands on his travels and fundamentalist Muslims and right wing Christians are very scary and purely racist.

Yet I feel the world would descend into chaos and anarchy if some form did not exist ??
Supraset

Post by Supraset »

Is Dr. Walsh a Buddhist?

SteveC I think you're in the minority for not getting "into" religion. What happens when you die is arguably the greatest philosophical question in life. One we all find out about sometime.

Religion is a very personal thing... and a human right to believe in. You have no more proof that there is no heaven or hell or reincarnation than those that believe these things actually exist.

Look elsewhere for a solution than aboloshing religion.
Dr.Walsh

Post by Dr.Walsh »

Hi Supraset,

I'm not a buddhist, although I do like a lot of what the buddhists have to say - they are definitely chilled out, and their views on karma and reincarnation do strike a chord with me. Their meditation ideas are also good.

However, I do not have any fixed religion and like to learn about them all. Like I said in above posting I believe that all religions have certain insights and I would be preventing myself from further knowledge if I were to dismiss or not read certain things. I like to get my knowledge from many different sources. It's all doing your research isn't it? It's all education, and I like education, particularly positive education.

The more education you have the more you can empathise and understand, and see where people are coming from.

Big 'Ra' shout out to Steve C - I like your idea of worshipping the sun, very Egyptian - maybe you were an Egyptian in a past life? :)
Supraset

Post by Supraset »

kewl :) yes you strike me as a very empathic person by nature according to your other posts as well. It's a good quality to have I think.
Supraset

Re: Religion

Post by Supraset »

SteveC wrote: If you should wish to worship anything, worship the SUN, this created life on our planet and continues to provide the fuel of life every second of every day. When this dies we die, no God can rescue us, so don't be taken in by mumbo jumbo.
Let's not forget those hydrothermal vents... life exists there without the sun. But I don't know of any religions that worship them. But I'm sure the big giant clams and tube worms are pretty happy they are there. :)