Earthdance 2004 feat A Guy Called Gerald & 808 State dj'

Discuss 808 State Radio Shows, DJ sets, podcasts, interviews etc.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

markus

Post by markus »

Fantastic Blue Jammer, much appreciated!
I can understand the frustration about the sound system. Nick, remember Dundee? :-?
nickking

Post by nickking »

Yeah, I remember Dundee well! Wasn't that bloke from that Craig David song ("Women Trouble") on before 808?? :P

BTW, love the pics, but are you sure that's Gerald? :D

Wish I'd been there, but maybe I'll get to see them later on in the year down south?

l8rs,

Nick ;)
markus

Post by markus »

Oooops, I meant Aberdeen, not Dundee.
I was wondering too if that really is Gerald. Don't think so.
PeteZarustica

Post by PeteZarustica »

that's another ZTT artist, seal :wink:
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Nice one !!

Note the Poster on the wall advertising Prebuild/New Order
Dr.Walsh

Post by Dr.Walsh »

Just a few points to add to the blue jammer review:

The party was originally meant to be at The Blue Rooms - a 900 capacity venue with brilliant sound-systems and 3 rooms, so Andy, Darren and Gerald would all have been in their own room and would have got a lot longer to play, the MC's and harder house would have been in another room and Silky in the third room... however, very unfortunately and to the dismay of everyone involved in Earthdance Manchester 2004 that venue closed down just before the party...

So, to be honest, it was amazing that we got a venue for that weekend, especially in such a prime location during the In The City weekend... most venues in Manchester had been booked up that weekend for weeks before...

The old-school room was done by Vision Classix - set times, MC's, sound-system, smileys - I still haven't worked out why they have some of the smileys the wrong way... very strange...

And also, to be honest, I haven't heard of anyone else who didn't enjoy the night, as you can see from the photos the whole place was buzzing...

be happy you saw an 808 reunion at the largest simultaneous dance party in the world! :)

maybe next year blue jammer can help put the party on? have you got a spare £5000, a load of dedicated friends, unlimited energy and at least three months of your life to spare? if you have, send me a message and we can talk about getting the set times and sound-systems perfect for the next party...

spread love all over the world...
Dr.Walsh

Post by Dr.Walsh »

and also blue jammer, in terms of 'you're used to bigger and better things': Earthdance 2004 had over 150 cities in 48 countries taking part - almost certainly the biggest co-ordinated, simultaneous dance party the world has ever seen... if you've been to a bigger party than that I think we'd all like to hear about it!!!!!!!!

but am definately up for bigger and better next year, so maybe your people can call my people...?
Dr.Walsh

Post by Dr.Walsh »

oh yeah, and the guy in the photo could be a bloke called gerald but is not A Guy Called Gerald...

girl in an angelic state... wish you'd been there aswell...
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

I don't know much about you Dr but your enthusiasm certainly comes across on the board in regards to environmental campaigns, your love of music and your motivation in making the world a better place, so on behalf of everybody on the forum, thanks for organising and bringing together an historic 808 moment.

[/quote="Dr.Walsh"]maybe next year blue jammer can help put the party on? have you got a spare £5000, a load of dedicated friends, unlimited energy and at least three months of your life to spare? if you have, send me a message and we can talk about getting the set times and sound-systems perfect for the next party...

spread love all over the world...[/quote]

With your knowledge of organising and with comments on the board every week of 'When will 808 be playing live', why can't us board members get together and finance an 808state concert, Im sure if we all contibuted and pestered for sponsors we could do it.

We'll get the money, we're all dedicated with lots of energy when it comes to 808 related issues, and amongst us we could share the burden of time being an issue.

LETS DO IT - debate

What do you think Doc ?
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

good idea steve, we pay to hear our favourites! an 808 classics gig! got to be in manchester, the set lasting over an hour and a half?
tracks including PACIFIC, COBRA BORA, DONKEY DOCTOR, IN YER FACE, CUBIK and maybe some old skool gems from Quadrastate, 90, ex:el?

anyone got change of a £1
Dr.Walsh

Post by Dr.Walsh »

Hi,

Thanks girl in an angelic state and Steve for your kind words...

As a co-promoter for Earthdance and Silky I would say that I am very interested in future events...

I much prefer the dj format - a lot cheaper to do a dj event, and nowadays with people like Gerald, Graham and many others adding the laptop aspect to a dj set you are getting a full 'show' from a dj event now with a continuous flow, and from a promoter/organisational point of view it's much easier to do logistically aswell

I wouldn't be interested in a live classics set, at last years' live show I thought some of the tunes sounded old and tired and could do with knocking on the head (although the amazing thing was they sounded fresh and futuristic compared with most of the shite bands that were around at In The City)

From our perspective we wanted to have an old-school room the first time we did an Earthdance in Manchester for many reasons - cultural, heritage, roots, and it coincided nicely with the Rephlex releases from '88 - but we are more interested in the future than the past, and a dj event where you can have currrent tunes and a few classic tunes thrown in coupled with tunes made on the spot on a laptop all as part of the mix is a lot more exciting imho
David

Post by David »

What about Manchester-808 State live on the Saturday before Xmas ?

I'd support it 100% and I'll be there!
PeteZarustica

Post by PeteZarustica »

I'd be there as well - and I'm overseas!

]z[
Pete
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Thats £3 so far
girl in an angelic state

Post by girl in an angelic state »

thanks Doc, :D

Yes I wish Id been there as well, was absolutely gutted that I couldnt have been, and especially when Nick mentioned that New Order may have been going.... would have been nice to have gotten some of my old freinds together and *sigh* it could have been like the good old days,and re-created some of the very much missed atmosphere, and all under one roof as well

It seems you put a lot of your time, resources and effort into the event, and all for a good cause, so yeah, I think thats work very well done :D
And I hope to be at the next one

As for an 808 concert in Manchester at Christmas...........

Yes Please!!!!! :D :D