NEWBUILD

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

nickking

Post by nickking »

Another article that I've found from the NME (22nd October 1988):

"808 State are yet another Manchester acid act with whom A Guy Called Gerald has worked. When John Peel played a track from their debut album 'New Build' recently, he was inundated with letters from House fans seeking out this mysterious release. The answer is simple: Creed Records via Nine Mile.

To make this act a trio, Gerald is joined by Graham of Biting Tongues and Martin, an employee of Manchester's best indie and dance stockist Easter Block Records (sic) (the rivals being Spin Inn, the main soul reailers). The Germanic title and sleeve of 'New Build' hints at what lays inside. Acid House, sometimes a little too clinical, occasionally clumsy, but always with a few new moods.

Soon this lot will be jetting off to Germany for their first re-mix commission - an Afghanistan House singer who wants to spice up an LP track into a dance single! And if you think this is bizarre enough, even stranger things are promised for December when they mix a track for an act calling themselves CELIBATE GENITALIA. All sampling and synths and Psychic TV influences, this South Manchester group have so far only been known for cassettes with such dubious titles as 'Deepthroat' and 'Thunderpussy'!"

(Sarah Champion)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the Afghanistan House single was Mohamed's "Ham Safar", but whatever happened to the Celibate Genitalia track? :P

BTW, who were 'Foot Patrol'?

Also from the article:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"'Voodoo Ray' is based on the fusion House/Jazz dancing of the Manchester dance crew Foot Patrol," he explains. "It's like break-dancing where people make an arena to challenge each other."

Gerald has not rested here either. His debut album for RHAM 'Hot Lemonade' is virtually finished; he produced the bass-line for a T-COY track entitled 'Dream Seventeen' (released under the pseudonym, "Annette" - Nick) on the forthcoming 'North' compilation; and has also produced an anti-drug track with the afore-mentioned Foot Patrol."

l8rs,

Nick ;)
graham

Post by graham »

There was a track ,very acid with a sample going foot patrol fffff fooot patrol
I found it a while a go now ive lost it again ..in my mountain of media
will emerge again no doubt ..,I have the celebate genetalia stuff
Im happy to share it with yall ,Im shure they wont mind where ever they are /..are you out there???
nickking

Post by nickking »

Okay, an update on release dates - been digging the archives up again here! :P

Cherry Red have a historic records of indie releases, their chart entry, and the highest chart position (very nice of them!), so compiling the entries for 808 and Gerald, we have:

Release........................................Pos.....Weeks........Chart Entry

NEW BUILD....................................12........2.............. 29/10/88
VOODOO RAY (EP)..........................2.........23.............19/11/88
HOT LEMONADE (LP).......................13........3...............15/4/89
QUADRASTATE...............................2..........25.............19/8/89

No mention of 'Let Yourself Go', so presumably this didn't chart in the Indie Charts, but I *think* this was released at some point in December 1988?

l8rs,

Nick ;)
Last edited by nickking on 01 Apr 2005 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
solarex

Post by solarex »

Damit. I want that Peel show.
newbuild

NEWBUILD PROTOTYPE

Post by newbuild »

anyone hear early versions of newbuild tracks:

CLONEZONE=NARCOSSA (this is more obvious)

COSA COSA=FLOW COMA (obvious, but lesser so)

JOHNNYCAB=DR. LOWFRUIT? (similar bassline at intro)

C.I.S.=E TALK? (similar overwhelmingly chaotic madness)

K.NARCOSSA=COMPULSION? (similar structure throughout)

the first two i feel sure about, but the last three are curiosities...
rob87-88

Post by rob87-88 »

Hello I,m a newbie here & was wondering ....what's the story behind the master tapes being lost to Newbuild any previous discussion or thread I can go to & i've heard / read that "the original vinyl " sounds better than the CD as it was mastered from a different source . I've been interested in knowing the real story behind all this . BTW the CD sounds good to me .
nickking

Post by nickking »

graham wrote:a hitsquad gig in stockton on sat 18th june (wheres that?)
According to the NME of that week, the listing is as follows:

"Stockton On Tees, Dovecoat Arts Centre: Biting Tongues/Jinski"

So, presumably billed as the Tongues, but also featured Hitsquad?
graham

Post by graham »

Oh yes it was a tongues gig in fact it was the last ever tongues gig(well until the reunion)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Ah-ha, I'll add it to the Tongues' gigography, then! :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

I live in Stockton On Tees!!! Its near Middlesbrough. Can't believe I missed that early opportunity!
nickking

Post by nickking »

graham wrote:wed 14th dec gig in Chester (some gay club with James Taylor quartet on downstairs .just me martin and gerald)
Olivers Club in Chester according to the NME listing of that week:

"14th Dec: James Taylor Quartet/808 State - Olivers, Chester"

Still going through tons of old NME's/Melody Makers/Sounds on 808 gigs! 8)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Some more info from a recent fanzine that I purchased (issued in 1989) featuring an interview with Graham - has some more clarification on live dates (extract below):

"Have State 808 done much live work outside of Manchester?

We've done Dundee Art College, me and Gerald went up there on the coach with two suitcases full of equipment, they treated us really well. We did ten minute spots right through 'till dawn, at the end of term bash there. We also did Wrexham, Wrexham Razzmatazz show bar, there were loads of women dancing round hand bags. At Chester it was full of fourteen year old kids, we have a better response off kids. I'd like to do matinee shows on an afternoon at a club in Manchester, it'd take some organising."

8)