BBC6 Music Mix - 26 JUN 2005

Discuss 808 State Radio Shows, DJ sets, podcasts, interviews etc.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

As Smiley (from wherever he's been hiding) states it is only up there for the week until the next show replaces it on Sunday
You can't really download a real audio stream, but you can record it. I use a program called Audio Hi-Jack on the Mac, it records from within Real Player. But this still wouldn't be as good a quality as that recorded from DAB, satelite or cable. And considering the show will be repeated on Friday night it's still possible to get it recorded. Unless like me you're working, or like the lucky sods who are all going to Italy. (thanks for reminding me of that Pete!)

John
smiley

Post by smiley »

...just do a right-click on the link i listed above, and "save target as" to your hard drive.

the file is 38.4mb in total.

cheers,

---
Smiley
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

Might be the fact that I'm using a sodding PC here at work, but it won't allow me to download. But I'm still hopeful of a higher quality copy! :(

P.S. Mr Sturt are you skint enough yet to want to sell that Shimmer CD? :D

John
Souflex

Post by Souflex »

when 'saving target as' it is not pos to do that...it brings a box up with the details of the source....i think ancodia's right about how to save it, right?

tried to do it for my dad as well as he was on radio dj'ing a northern soul session...the guys at the station put it on their site and saved it as a ASX file...again another unfriendly windows/real player file right?

ta.
markus

Post by markus »

Can't get mine to download either Smiley, could it be that you have a pro version of Real that allows recording of certain programs?
I see the tracklisting is now up. From http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/6mix/ ... 0626.shtml :
CURRENT/ FAMILIAR
New Order - Turn
Ian brown - Kiss Your Lips
Alex Gold - Back For A Break
Ladytron - Unknown
Infusion - Girls Can Be Cruel
Rolf Harris V's 808 State - Sun Arise
International Pony - Leaving Home
INFLUENCES/ INSPIRATIONS
The Geek - Vezin'
Spork - Freek Like Me
Trainer Trash - Kill That Noise
Paul Jackson - The Push
808 State - Let Yourself Go
New Order - Confusion
808 State - Pacific State (Live from Belfast)
MORE INFLUENCES/ INSPIRATIONS
UNKLE - In A State
Benaco - Premium Rock
Player One - R U Ready
DJ Punk Roc - My Beat Box
Paul Weller - Into Tomorrow
808 State - Lopez
Prince - The Future
ANYTHING GOES
Koma And Bones - Morpheus
Mousse T - Fire
The Beginerz - History
JDS - Punk Or Funk
Infusion - Better World
Silencer - Rollin' n Controllin'
Quiet Killaz - Warning
Dave Graham - Dirty Sticky Floor
808 State - Cubik (Live from Belfast)

Did it strike anyone else as funny that the influences section features two 808 tracks?

:)
Souflex

Post by Souflex »

can anyone reccomend a 'grab' or audio hijack tool for PC?
Magical Dream

Post by Magical Dream »

guys, you can try using this wee program to record this broadcast. You can also use it to convert it to mp3 if you wanna stick it on your ipod or whatever

http://www.download.com/3001-2168_4-10409131.html

All the best!
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

another way - i've just tried it and it works

link a mini disc recorder with audio leads from the back of your digital box

shame i'm in italy when its on, i don't trust my old girl to do it, i'll probably end up with fred dibnah's historic walks
Magical Dream

Post by Magical Dream »

Sorry guys this only lets you record for a short time then you need to pay to register it!
markus

Post by markus »

Another is http://www.totalrecorder.com/ which I used to use. However trial is also limited to limited amount of time. But the standard version isn't expensive: USD 11.95.
Last edited by markus on 27 Jun 2005 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Great stuff, particularly the second hour. Not the fun and frolics associated with the past, they could have read the news as well as spun the circles, but good to hear the lads ont radio.

And with technology instead of rushing home to hear them on a Tuesday night I could just log ontut Internet at my leisure.

How times have changed
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

Hey Pete,

What's wrong with Fred Dibnah's Historic Walks then? Maybe he'll play commentary recorded at one of his walks from 12 years ago! :P

John
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

actually my granny tells me his last historic walk was when 808 last played!

He was walking through manchester about 2 years ago, whilst staying at the castlefield hotel, he was dribbled and spat on by a certain disabled guy callin himself scruffy penis. He then made his way to some sort of street festival off oldham street, where there were loads of unsigned bands playing, unfortunately he couldn't get through the crowd as they were crying out for 808 state, unfortunately poor fred past away whilst waiting for their next album due in 2008!

r.i.p. fred
smiley

Post by smiley »

John - not yet, but make me an offer - as you never know when i might be now that i have a (7-month old) nipper...which also partly explains why i've been so quiet lately.

everyone else - do a google search for "Streambox VCR".

it's a great piece of software that lets you directly download .ra files from the bbc servers - i use it almost every day.

real.com actually had the software banned when it came out a few years ago, but you can still find it pretty easily.

failing that - i can always upload it somewhere if someone can give me a place to put it.

cheers,

---
Smiley
markus

Post by markus »

I can never get that thing to work, exactly which version of it do you use? And do you just paste rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/6music/6mix_sun.ra into it?