Turin Traffic Festival 2/7/05

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

graham

Post by graham »

Eastern Standard,was once called sw bloke and will be called something else again..but it was from same sessions as Invader and we used to play it on the Mega Dog us tour ((97 98?)..Invader was once called SW1 was written for a film called that I think then adapted for an advert for a ride at Alton towers (Oblivion may be) hence the Dont Look Down sample ,then done as a full length track,then adapted for a TV show called made in Manchester on granada tv...
nickking

Post by nickking »

Yeah, well after you left, Tony Wilson then played some Joy Division and New Order tracks, followed by Voodoo Ray, then some Happy Mondays and introduced Mr Ryder! :D

Shaun then played a set comprising mostly Happy Mondays and Black Grape tunes with him singing along to most of them!, and then played New Order's Temptation, which segued very nicely into Hooky doing a DJ set...

We left about 4:30, and bumped into Daz, Paddy and a whole load of mates trying to find a taxi back to the hotel (which was round the corner)!

I'll try and do a full report either tonight or tomorrow... Currently at work, and should actually be doing some, but just come out of 7 hours worth of meetings.... :-?
markus

Post by markus »

Hoping on Pete & Nick for the reports, so I can concentrate on the photos. :)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Okey dokey, will do... Found this on the New Order forum!

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41052bb8 ... CBK4S4q1UF

(Daz is crouching down on the right of the picture - we're off the photo to the right on the ground)! :D
BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN »

If any of the gigs were recorded - any chance without the voice overs?

They sound great live, but its good to have live listenable versions of the tracks.

Couldnt afford the gigs. Cant wait to hear one of them - what a great unexpected of tracks!!

Love to hear 808 in the UK again. Or perhaps a live set on the radio??

Keep up the good work!
nickking

Post by nickking »

Voiceovers/MC'ing are all part of the live experience, so doubtful whether there will ever be one like that! :P
markus

Post by markus »

Nick, that link doesn't work.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

I presume Fat Shadow was an Intro track that blended into Donkey Doctor or was it a full blown extended version different to the one on 90.
nickking

Post by nickking »

markus wrote:Nick, that link doesn't work.
Hmmm.... Okey dokey, just saved it to my webspace:

markus

Post by markus »

Some professional photos of the gig now at http://www.bobmoz.com/
ziottt

hello

Post by ziottt »

just a quick message to thank these lads for the great job they did on the stage. I really enjoyed the gig, I couldn't keep still because of the rythm, fantastic. less fantastic instead the one who plays the percussions, I found him outside of the club Giancarlo at the Murazzi del Po asking for a pic and but he denied it!
I just seen you lads having a big argue with this other guy from morocco outside of the club, maybe because of too much booze?dont know!?
dont take it seriously.
feel like to be arrived in the wrong moment! xperience.

great nite.

(http://www.bobmoz.com/pages/127_Traffic04.htm)
markus

Post by markus »

It's taken a long time in the coming, but here they are, the pictures of the fantastic Free Torino festival!
Pictures of 808 State live (images 1 - 52) :)
Pictures taken before (53-73) and after (75-90) the gig :)
8-piece 808 fan crew consisted of:
Nick, Carlos, Pete & Dannii (UK firm) & Nandor, Roland, Daniele & Markus (Swiss firm).
Now, where's that detailed report? The pressure's on you Nick ;)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Fab pictures - God knows what bar we were in front of when we had our picture taken with shades on? That picture behind me looks very interesting... :P 8)

Anyway, gig report - I'll try and remember, and I guess people won't want to know all the bars and drinking establishments we frequented on the days before the gig (endless beer/sangrias and bad hangovers!), so I'll jump straight to the evening of the gig.

We got to the park where the festival was being held about an hour before the gig was due to start, and who should we meet but Andy & Daz in the crowd. Went backstage for a brief chat (as you can see by the photos) and met up with Graham. We didn't want to know the setlist, so any discussions around that were kept to a minimum, so we would be surprised with the gig.

We were initially apprehensive that not that many people were around before the gig started, but it soon started filling up.

Anyway, onto the actual gig! Fat Shadow (a definite surprise) segued into Donkey Doctor (a firm favourite of mine "Welcome To Techno City!"). This seemed to get the Italian crowd going. "Cobra Bora" followed next - fab, as I'd just relistened to "90" the previous week (actually I'd listened to most of the albums, but "90" kept getting repeated)!

"San Francisco" was next - one that I hadn't heard since GMEX 91 (although that gig is extremely fuzzy in my mind - I think I had way too many beers/etc for that gig), and also seemed to go down well with the (mainly) New Order fans there - presumably because they've heard "Ex:el" due to the Bernard Sumner connections?

"Pacific" followed - everyone seemed to know this tune, so it provoked a loud cheer! Graham playing the sax, and Daz Mc'ing away - superb :)

"Lift" was a surprise - I don't think I've heard this one live before, and I always have fond memories of the track due to the period it came out (always remember the video playing on tele with the 808 scientists), but the next track "Eastern Standard" was a total surprise - a *new* track??? :) Very heavy, featuring lots of guitar playing by Graham - a real rocking out track. Fantastic!

"In Yer Face" was another track that the Italian/New Order crowd recognised, with a lot of moshing going on, leading onto "Invader" (another personal favourite of mine - an upbeat track that keeps the tempo going)! :)

And it gets better, as I must be one of the few who seems to like Timebomb, and I have never heard it live, so (predictably), I went ballistic (think that's the song that I'm raising my fists in on the photos page)! Dunno about any technical difficulties, probably because I was too busy dancing to notice! :P

"Quincy's Lunch" - the only track off "Outpost Transmission" to be played (yeah, I know it's not on the UK release!), and so not that many people would have heard it, although the Italian crowd didn't seem to mind! However, they did recognise "Cubik", and so the moshing continued! :D

And that was just the start, as we enjoyed a superb New Order gig (it was the first time they had played "Everything's Gone Green" for yonks - one of only two times - so far! - that they've played it on the current tour - the other being in France), so that was a great treat! :D I could go on with regards to the New Order set, but that has been told numerous times on New Order forums - suffice to say it was one of the best New Order gigs I've ever seen! :D

I've already reported on the after-show party with Tony Wilson, Shaun Ryder and Peter Hook - see above thread! :)

Gig of the year, without question - two of my favourite bands on the same bill in a hot country with a great bunch of people - priceless! 8)

Will that do, Markus? :wink:
markus

Post by markus »

Great stuff Nick, spot on!
This was one of the greatest events ever - par with Gmex 91 and Castlefield 96. Wicked to hear San Francisco again!! And then New Order with all those Joy Division songs, simply breathtaking. The only two things I can think of that that weren't that great - in my personal oppinion - were Timebomb (just didn't work live) and Daz' scratching wasn't audible (maybe just my hearing).

Now, I'm still hoping that someone, maybe some Italian New Order fans, made a bootleg recording of the gig?? I certainly saw someone recording it all with an old-fashioned tape-recorder! I attempted recording it with my mp3 player but it turned out useless and even 808State forgot to record it. Please get in touch with me if you have a recording! Just the New Order gig would be nice for a start.

Thank you 808 State / New Order / Torino for one of the greatest nights ever!
:) :) :)
nickking

Post by nickking »

markus wrote:Now, I'm still hoping that someone, maybe some Italian New Order fans, made a bootleg recording of the gig?? I certainly saw someone recording it all with an old-fashioned tape-recorder! I attempted recording it with my mp3 player but it turned out useless and even 808State forgot to record it. Please get in touch with me if you have a recording! Just the New Order gig would be nice for a start.
Well, I do know that the New Order gig has been bootlegged, but don't know if the 808 one was? I'll attempt to find out at the meetups prior to the two forthcoming New Order gigs (Brixton/Manchester)! 8)