What ever happened with... (past 808 fans)

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

markus

What ever happened with... (past 808 fans)

Post by markus »

Between 1996 and 1998 a few off-spring ZTT fans ran their own little 808 mailinglist called globalState (which is where the original name of the 808state.com site came from). Members were:
Scott Weaver (USA),
Josh Bortz (USA),
Lionel D (South Africa),
Roger (Germany),
Roland (Switzerland),
Smiley (UK),
Soren (Denmark),
Markus (Netherlands).

After 1998 some people disappeared for years. However all, except Scott & Josh, returned to the new 808 forum at some time and occasionally post (user names are now: De Lillie, riz, Roland, smiley, solarex, markus). With the recent return of prodigal son Lionel D, the question has come up, what ever happened with Josh Bortz? Lionel has offered to find out, so I'm trying to dig out Josh's parent's phone number. Also there is a 808 radio show from ca 1996 where you can hear him live in the studio.
markus

Post by markus »

Next one: What ever happened to Dr.Walsh??? It's been exactly a year since he posted (and he had made 195 posts up until then).
Last edited by markus on 12 Oct 2005 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
nickking

Post by nickking »

Good question about Dr. Walsh, as I know that Ancodia tried to find his shop, with no success?? :(
solarex

Re: What ever happened with... (past 808 fans)

Post by solarex »

Josh Bortz was a heavy ZTT and 808 collector. After the legendary Castlefield gathering he made numerous trips to Manchester visiting everybody and apparently also the 808 show (new to me).

So strange, he, to our knowledge, is not here. Has he lost interest completely.

Maybe he got himself every single ZTT and 808 release and thought, hmmm, time to move on. :wink:
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

Darren spoke of Josh quite a few times, of course that was back in the day when this site was still in its infancy.

John
markus

Post by markus »

must dig out the photo of us all (minus smiley, lionel, roland) at the Castlefield gig.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Knowing Dr Walsh he'll probably be trekking the world giving aid and assistance to those who need it, from New Orleans to Pakistan.

...........and Petes not posted for 3 months, he's probably just got a hangover though.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi all.... Here Roland. I am still following whats happening with all things 808. Admittedly I am a lazy poster, but still reading the forums and have also been to the excellent (lets call it legendary) Torino 808/New Order-double header this summer. So just that you all know! Cheers Roland
nickking

Post by nickking »

Hi ya Roland! :D

The New Order slipcase (+ the 3x7" singles) are on their way (via Markus), so you should get them shortly! :)

That reminds me, I never did actually write my Turin report up... :-? :P
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Theres only one person on here who's consistent with their gig reports......HA! :P

I digged another one out from Heaton Park the other day, I remember faxing it to "the lads" ont radio, they said they would read it out but never did.
nickking

Post by nickking »

SteveC wrote:Theres only one person on here who's consistent with their gig reports......HA! :P

I digged another one out from Heaton Park the other day, I remember faxing it to "the lads" ont radio, they said they would read it out but never did.
That's why you should have come to Turin! :P
markus

Post by markus »

This is the "whatever happened to..." topic. Further Turin talk in the Turin topic please. I thanks yous.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Yeah Nick, you naughty lad, go and stand in the corner :D
David

Post by David »

I was just thinking about Dr Walsh the other day.His website (danchester) is gone.

Smiley is still around-I got my optibuk from him last year (he had a spare).
I think loads read the forum and don't post at the moment well let's face it-nothing much is happening at the minute.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Lots of members seem to come and go, and I notice people like McBain, (who posted quite heavily when he first arrived) have also disappeared, don't know what's happened to Pete? The hardcore fans are still here though, unfortunately I was not part of the original group as I didn't have a PC then! Maybe its 808's sporadic releases that do it, and sadly some people probably view it as a passing fad rather than staying put for the long run.