808 live @ Castlefield!

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

nickking

Post by nickking »

It's official re: Essential Festival - check out http://www.essentialfestival.com/ for more details:

"It is with very sad regret that Essential Entertainments are announcing the cancellation of the forthcoming Essential Festival due to be held over the 3rd and 4th August in London¹s Hackney Marshes.

Essential have made this very difficult decision after considering a number of issues in the build up to the event. The disastrous Rock Day at Bristol¹s Essential Festival has created significant financial difficulties for the event, which have not been able to be sufficiently resolved. In addition to this, the site suffered considerable damage after the adverse weather conditions that Mardi Gras had to face last weekend, with the result that Essential are not wholly confident that the location would be suitable for hosting the festival.

This year has also seen a substantial slump in the market for outdoor events, with the notable exceptions of Glastonbury and Oasis, with many of the major events being subject to low attendance."

So, I'd ask for a refund if I was you!

Nick :wink:
nickking

Post by nickking »

Well, the gpercussion webpage has now been updated, and http://www.gpercussion.co.uk/line_up.html now states the following:

"whilst Manc superheroes 808 State will be offering a sneak preview of their collaborative work with Guy Garvey (Elbow) and Alabama 3."

(they forget to mention Simian who's also joining them - according to the 'flyer')

Hmmm... Anyone getting anywhere with hotels (since we don't have to bother with a ticket this time)?

Oh, and if I do go, I don't think I'm going to bother flying up - swines want 200 quid to fly up from London!!! Train seems a lot cheaper!!

l8rs,

PeteB

Post by PeteB »

£40 return on virgin trains, only snag is waiting till 7.30am for first train back!
McBain

Post by McBain »

Hot Damn, Eat the Beat, In Yerrrr Face Wi-hoo!!!

I've been away at a Wedding this weekend in Hampshire, just logged on and read the good news *schweeet*.

I've got loads of mates in Manc already so crashing up there won't a problem for me (3 years @ uni there). Will keep an eye on the
messageboard so we can sort out some place to meet eh.

McB
nickking

Post by nickking »

Well, all hotels seem to be fully booked for the Commonwealth Games, so the only option at the moment is going for Pete's idea of catching the first train back...

...Not sure what we're going to do between midnight and 7:30am, though...!!

l8rs,

Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

I'm going to try my usual digs in Altrincham, they usually have a couple of rooms. If I'm coming over it'll be for a couple of days. I'll keep you informed of the response from the hotel. - John
nickking

Post by nickking »

What I hadn't noticed until just now is that the gig is the day before Graham's birthday!

What a great way to celebrate a birthday!

l8rs,

markus

Post by markus »

Yes indeed, and he's joining Homelife for yet another gig on that afternoon. I haven't been able to find out the exact details, on ninjatune.com it says "Commonwealth Games, City Stage".
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Isn't the gig just on the Saturday, not Sunday as well according to NEWS section ?
markus

Post by markus »

Castlefield is on Saturday and features 808 State and Homelife, amongst others. Then on Sunday there is another openair (city centre location) featuring Homelife. It's a different festival. I'm trying to find out what time Homelife are performing on the Sunday.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: markus on 2002-07-17 17:57 ]</font>
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

Well I'm now sorted I have managed to get a single room for the Friday and Saturday somewhere about Castlefied apparently and it has a carpark. So, I'm flying into Liverpool and making my way down in a hired car. Anyone looking to meet up can give me a shout on 07733 265 652, my hotel could be a good spot to meet before the gig. John.
nickking

Post by nickking »

Hi John,

Do you know if the hotel has any more rooms available? If so, can you e-mail me, cos I've been trying to find a hotel for the past week to no avail!

BTW, for those travelling by plane to Manchester on August 3rd, take note:

"Workers at Manchester airport will stage a two-hour strike tomorrow and walk out for two hours on July 30 and August 3 in a dispute over pay."

Which may (or may not) affect those that are flying...

l8rs,

PeteB

Post by PeteB »

coming up on da M1, either Carlos or Domin8 will drive!
nickking

Post by nickking »

Pete, do you have room for one more?

l8rs,

Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

Unfortunately I tried around forty hotels etc and I fluked the single room for two nights, most only had the Friday. I've only just booked the flights and hire car, and so far the bill to go to a free concert is £300+. This had better be the dog's dangly bits!!!