808 State DJ's at Jacks, London - Friday 3rd March

Discuss 808 State Radio Shows, DJ sets, podcasts, interviews etc.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

nickking

808 State DJ's at Jacks, London - Friday 3rd March

Post by nickking »

Poke
featuring
808 State, DJ Qwerty and John Power
at Jacks
THE POKE
Friday, March 3 at 10:00 PM

The Poke is back after a brief Winter holiday, we're ready to go with an acid extravaganza featuring a DJ set from the UK pioneers of the 303, Manchester's 808 State. As one of the first house groups to make their name in the UK, 808 State, have gone on to work with everyone from Quincy Jones to Bjork. In recent years their influence on the British electronica and acid scens has been vividly illustrated by the re-release of their early work by Rephlex.

Tickets available here

Tempted, but might just go to the Cambridge one? :)
markus

Post by markus »

This event is now confirmed :)
mr egg

Post by mr egg »

I havegg just been added to the bill
markus

Post by markus »

and Rodders will be our trusty man on the scene.
nickking

Post by nickking »

I might well tag along to this (I should know later on this week on whether that weekend is free or not)! :)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Some more blurb on this:

"The Poke - Acid Special

Friday 3rd March
10pm till 6am

two rooms of acid, electro, techno and weird and wonderful sounds

808 State (dj set)
Egebamyasi - live
Radioactive Man (warp/two lone swordsmen)
Rob Hall (skam)
Vector Lovers (soma) - live set
Yila - live set
Josh Console
Sun Ov (regolith)
Qwerty
John Power & DJ SP - back 2 back acid set

Jacks, Crucifix Lane, SE1
(5 minutes from London Bridge)

Tickets:
£10 in advance from Ticketweb
or from Poke Records, 20 Denman Street, W1

more on the door.

furthur.promotions@gmail.com
furthur.info / Poker Records

It's March the 3rd, 3.03, and here at the Poke we're not ones to look a gift horse in the mouth, so this month we celebrate two decades of acidic bleeps and squelches and bow down before the majesty of the Roland tb-303.

In the main room it's acid all the way as we are proud to present the pioneers of British Acid House, 808 State, formed in Manchester in the late eighties, 808 State were among the first in this country to take on the new sound coming out of Chicago, since then they have gone on to tour the world, play stadiums and work with the likes of Bjork, not too shabby!

Keeping the acid vibe live we have rave legend Egebamyasi, a true acid hero, Mr Egg has resisted the advances of technology and will performing completely live with around half a dozen different drum machines and keyboards.

As if that wasnt enough the main room also sees the debut UK set from Croation DJ, Qwerty, whose brain fried mixes of old school rave, electro and acid caught our attention on the world famous Solid Steel radio show and a back to back acid set from John Power and DJ SP who will be showcasing twenty years worth of wonky music.

But we're not all about celebrating the past, so in the back room we have live sets from some of the most up and coming producers on the block, Soma's Vector Lovers, whose pristine beautiful electro has gained him a growing legion of fans and Yila who expertly mixes strange noises and complicated rhythmic structures with glorious innocent sounding melodies.

Throw in DJ sets from Skam Records Rob Hall and one half of Warp's Two Lone Swordsmen, Radioactive Man and you have another full line-up from what over the past year has become one of London's leading electro nights. "

And some more info here
furthur

Post by furthur »

as we're all rather pleased about having the 808 State guys down to DJ we've just put 100 tickets up on Ticketweb that can be bought for just £8.08

all you have to do is enter poke808 into the promo code box

hope to see some of you there
nickking

Post by nickking »

Right, I'm definitely going to this now - anybody else?

Rodders - what time are you getting there? 8)
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

i'll probably aim to be there between 10-11. this is shaping up to be a wicked night, as well as 808 and mr egg, i'm looking forward to seeing vector lovers again (nice electro, and he's from york), and radioactive man! aciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid! 8)

what time you getting there nick?
nickking

Post by nickking »

Aiming to get there by about 10pm myself - will obviously have to stay all night, as the first train in the morning isn't until about 6am/7am! :)
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

nice. it'll probably be closer to 11 for me, i'll look out for you when i get there.

is anyone else going to this?
nickking

Post by nickking »

Damn - I fell asleep and have only just woken up.... :x

Last train to London has been and gone, and I've just wasted a ticket...

Ah well, at least I'm going to see them at Cambridge in a fortnight - sorry Rodders... :( :(
mr egg

Post by mr egg »

eggsellent nicht for poking x egg peace x
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

ah nick, shame! you missed an excellent night. the venue itself is a bit strange, there's a real danger of walking right past it, no signs or anything, it looked well shady. it was off to a good start when the bouncer on the way in said "it's through there, mind the sick on the floor". got there around 12am, was disappointed to see that vector lovers (scheduled to play at 12) didn't show. 808 were due to play 2.30 - 4. until then i went between rooms catching a bit of both rob hall and keith tenniswood (both using laptops and ableton live for DJ-ing), then around 1.30 mr egg himself did his live set. it was great to hear proper acid house played the way it should be (no computers or fancy tricks here), and i was slightly in awe of his kit (808, 909, couple of 303's and 101's... roland heaven). 808 themselves got on the decks about 2.50am and played their usual up for it party tunes, which the crowd seemed to love. i asked andy about the stuff they play, he said "we're not trying to educate people or be eclectic, we just play good tunes that get people dancing" which is exactly right. a standout part of the set for me was dropping pacific 303, into fools gold, into it takes two (rob base and dj ez rock), into musique (daft punk)... a great mix-up of styles & genres that worked really well (it got me dancing anyway!). all in all a good night, and it's got me thinking about going to cambridge :D

got a couple of photos which i'll send over markus (i don't know how you add them into posts like mr egg!)

the only downside was asking andy if they were working on any new material, which was a negative... :x
mr egg

Post by mr egg »

I think this is the problem Roddeggers.