What is acceptable kbps for the radio shows?

Discuss 808 State Radio Shows, DJ sets, podcasts, interviews etc.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

markus

What is acceptable kbps for the radio shows?

Post by markus »

I'm beginning to regret putting all those radio shows up in such high quality encoding. More Radio Shows coming in the next few months and we will be running out of disc space again... So I was wondering if it's really necessary to provide 128 kbps files for those old radio recordings. What would be an acceptable alternative? 96 kbps, 64 kbps? Or dare we go even lower, 56? 48? Bass, how low can we go? Remember, the ultimate goal will be to have *all* classic 808 radio shows online! Feedback please.
PeteZarustica

Post by PeteZarustica »

My personnal opinion is the higher the better. At least 160kbps :)

I have web space if you want M, we can create a folder in www.petezarustica.com :)
Pob

Post by Pob »

I agree that the higher the better. However, also understand the need for space.

How about 160kbps initially - then us lot can grab them. Then, after a month or two, swap them for 96kbps.

Seems like the best of both worlds to me.
markus

Post by markus »

Could I have some serious answers please, anyone?
Well, no, actually not anyone. The question is directed at people who regularly listen to the early 1990s 808 state radio shows (not talking about the 808 studio / demo tracks now) and who have got an idea how much work is involved in maininging websites / converting / publishing / uploading etc...
nickking

Post by nickking »

In order to save space, and to allow more 808 Radio Shows to be uploaded, I would go for 96kpbs - allows for smaller files so that non-broadband users can download them quicker, and allows for more radio shows.

IMHO
markus

Post by markus »

96. 64? Do I hear anyone, 64?
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

In a Bruce Forsyth's Play Your Cards Right stylee:

Higher! Higher!
brady

Post by brady »

"tanceaddicted" a board that i sometimes visit uses an outside site for hosting mix files

here is an example :-

Sasha Live @ Pleasure Planet: 1992

Download Prt 1:
Download Prt 2:

here is where the links take you --
http://rapidshare.de/files/5140024/Sash ... 1.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/5140028/Sash ... 02.mp3.htm

rapidshare hosts your files and the links stay active for ever if you upload them while your a premium user, or for 30days if nobody downloads the file if your not a premium user

so as long as somebody downloads the file within 30days the link stays active

might be worth looking into, there are other similar sites online that offer other features
solarex

Post by solarex »

@ brady.

Board link, please.

Regarding kbps. I say 128. I know it is tapes, but no reason for anything than more than enough encoding. We are talking gold dust.

If space is fix, remove old ones to make place for new ones. The site can still mention these without a download option. If people request them, they can be re-uploaded while others are removed. No problem.
Pob

Post by Pob »

I actually thought my suggestion was a a serious one.

Anyway, if you're running out of space now but the intention is to put them all on, then no matter what encoding you use, you'll run out again.

(was that English? Not sure)
brady

Post by brady »

solarex wrote:@ brady.

Board link, please.

remove old ones to make place for new ones. The site can still mention these without a download option.
here you go - http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/show ... did=173088

there are more downloadable mixes on page 2 of the thread too

yeah i think that could be a good idea too, deleting off the older mix links to make space for newer ones, than people will have to check back regularly for new mixes to be posted