Rewritable CDs.......

Discuss non-musical topics that are not related to 808 State or music.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

SkiFamily91

Post by SkiFamily91 »

ok, the problem i this: I have just bought a laptop computer with a CD-RW drive, and was keen to get some of those rarest MP3s onto CD (ie Firecracker). BUT when i had burned it, it wouldnt play in my 4-year old CD player, or any other CD player in the house, but it was fine on my laptop.....

The thing is, i used an 80-minute CD and i reckon that might be the reason. If i use a 74 it might be alright i thought, but i dont want to waste any more money until im sure. What does everyone else think?

Harvey
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor »

Try a 74 - some players are tempremental towards 80s. Also, what speed are you burning at? Try slower speeds because this has a real effect on quality and playback errors. I find 8x is the fastest before problems arise. Also, what program are you using?
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

Have you tried other CDR/CDRW in the CD players, most players over two or so years old don't reliably play CDR and most will never play CDRW. 80min CDRs work fine in all players that I have played 74s in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ancodia on 2002-08-06 10:16 ]</font>
SkiFamily91

Post by SkiFamily91 »

I am using SonicStage 1.0, which came pre-installed on my computer. And i burn at 8x speed. Dunno what difference the software would make.....

Markus sent me State To State on CD-R about 2 yrs ago (shoulda kept that quiet, lol!). That plays fine on my 4-year old AIWA CD player, so i definitely think that theres a problem with the 80min disc. Maybe its because ive been using CDRWs whereas State To State was just a CDR i think, and thus played. But note that the 80min disc DOES play on my personal CD player (only a few months old), which suggests that maybe it is the 4-year old player that is to blame. I guess i ought to just go ahead and spend another tenner on some 74s to see if they work. Failing that, its time for a new CD player. The disc changer on my current one is broken and has been for ages, so ive been considering a new one anyway....
markus

Post by markus »

Never burn at full speed, instead divide by 2. E.g. if your full speed is 8, burn at 4 speed. Don't use no-name CD-Rs. Good luck.

I'll forward any requests for a copy of S2s to you then in future! :smile:
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor »

"Maybe its because ive been using CDRWs whereas State To State was just a CDR i think, and thus played"

There's yer problem - you can can only play CDRWs in CDRW drives. Since your Aiwa is 4 years old, I doubt if it's of the newer breed of hi fi that can play rewritable discs. However, your newer cd player probably is...(I bought my parents a hi fi last Xmas, and was surprised to discover it was CDRW compatible!)

Unless you want to treat the cd as a 'tape' for recording over and over, stick to audio CDRs. I use TDKs from HMV (who do an offer of £10 for about 20/25, without the cases)

Software can make a big difference (especially for audio cds) but that's another topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich The Donkey Doctor on 2002-08-10 03:46 ]</font>
markus

Post by markus »

I don't even use CD-RWs for data backup anymore, I find them very unreliable.

Post by Guest »

why are they unreliable? i was expecting them to be much more reliable than using floppys (which was all i had before). They used to break for no reason.

yes i am quite happy to send anyone State2State if they want it (doubt theres anyone without a copy now though).
SkiFamily91

Post by SkiFamily91 »

that last post WAS mine....
nickking

Post by nickking »

From http://www.cdrfaq.org :

"CD-R is short for "CD-Recordable". Recordable CDs are WORM (Write Once, Read Multiple) media that work just like standard CDs. The advantage of CD-R over other types of optical media is that you can use the discs with a standard CD player. The disadvantage is that you can't reuse a disc.

A related technology called CD-Rewritable (CD-RW) allows you to erase discs and reuse them, but the CD-RW media doesn't work in all players. CD-Rewritable drives are able to write both CD-R and CD-RW discs.

All CD recorders can read CDs and CD-ROMs, just like a standard CD-ROM drive."

I would recommend to always use CD-R's as opposed to CD-RW's, especially since CD-R's are so cheap nowadays...

l8rs,

Nick :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickking on 2002-08-11 20:27 ]</font>
markus

Post by markus »

On 2002-08-11 19:12, SkiFamily91 wrote:
why are they unreliable? i was expecting them to be much more reliable than using floppys (which was all i had before). They used to break for no reason.
I meant unreliable compared to CD-Rs. I had a few cases where I had backed up stuff on a CD-RW, and when I wanted to access the disk a year later, the drive just wouldn't read them anymore. So I decided to just burn to CD-Rs as, like Nick mentioned, they have become so cheap.