Massonix album! Subtracks

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Mark

Post by Mark »

Just got round to ordering today from Boomkat. Have been laid low for a while with the mother of all viruses!!
markus

Post by markus »

Finally received a copy. It's from HMV Japan. I can highly recommend them if you live outside the UK, or outside of Manchester for that matter. I ordered at Boomkat m/cr well over a week ago and it's still not arrived. I ordered it from HMV Tokyo this week and it was here within two days! They send it via EMS which is a semi-courier service. But strangely the price including shipping turns out the same, if not cheaper, as ordering from the UK...
As much as I love Boomkat (they operate out of 808's former studio 101) - if you want this CD before xmas, consider hmv japan.
markus

Post by markus »

graham wrote:wonder if the japanese have translated the undersea story that goes with each track ,id love to see a translation of that,it doesnt even make sense in english..
Doesn't look like it, it's a biog, all the names are in Western writing, e.g. Martin Price, Gerald Simpson (also mentioning his Proto Acid album!), Trevor Horn, Bjork, Bowie, Tongues, Autechre, etc.
graham

Post by graham »

its been hard getting any reviews on subtracks due to all the xmas big guns product coming out etc ,so would be gratefull if any one spots any to let me know.. a few on the internet as follows:
http://www.smallfish.co.uk/shop/browse/?aid=19099
and
Pro Reviews
EXPERT RATING:

From AMG Reviews

Start an electronic album off with waves crashing on the shore and the cry of seagulls and many listeners will wonder if they've stumbled into a 1994era chill room by mistake. (Alternately, some may well be there by intent.) Subtracks by Massonix, an irregular alter ego of deserved techno legend Graham Massey, isn't quite such a return to the past for one thing, Massey actually knows what beats and rhythms are but there's a literally immersive feeling on this album, consisting of various efforts recorded over the years at various shows, then reworked in the studio. Everything about the album ties into a nautical theme, from the title and artwork to the extended names of the songs, and while it's not PFunk's version of aqua boogie or for that matter Arthur Russell's it's still sprightly and enjoyable stuff, at many points reminiscent of the more playful side of Massey's work in 808 State. The semi dink pop of "March of the Triton Titans (Rubber, Canvas and Lead)" makes for a very goony listen thanks to the lead keyboard line, while "Forests of Crespo (Kelp Forest Range)" hints at the kind of devolved film noir that early Yello made its own, but its own echoing spin. Often the rhythms are much more rigorous on first blush than the context might indicate "Sargasso (Horse Latitudes, Giant Kelp)" is essentially a classic industrial/EBM cut in all but name, the occasional bubbling melody aside. Other similarly aggro tracks like "Despina Farfisa (Continental Ridge)," with its brawling drum machine punch, and the ultimately chaotic "Boonadawn (The Mackerel, the Sampan and the Marlin)" helps to further leaven things up, set against prettier songs such as "Diamond Dance (4ths, Heavy Water)."
- Ned Raggett, All Music Guide
nickking

Post by nickking »

Not seen any reviews out there yet (magazines/papers), and the only online ones I've seen thus far are Boomkat and Warp.

I shall, however, be keeping an eye out for any... :)
markus

Post by markus »

My copy from Boomkat finally arrived today.
BLACK KNIGHT

Post by BLACK KNIGHT »

Listening to it now & I'm very impressed.
Got mine through WARPMART 8)
808state's Tartan Army

Post by 808state's Tartan Army »

I ordered mine from Boomkat yesterday. I'll hopefully get it before Christmas. :D
nickking

Post by nickking »

It's a lovely album - listened to it twice through so far, and very impressed (especially track 5).

It should get a lot more plays as I'm due to fly out on Saturday to Frankfurt (from Stanstead)... With the current fog and security checks, I predict about 5 listens before I get to Frankfurt! 8)
808state's Tartan Army

I received it about an hour ago! Brilliant stuff!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Had first listen yesterday. Very good, you can hear elements of 808 in it (obviously) but stands apart in its own right as a damn fine piece of electronica. Think I need a few listens on the old cans before I can get right into it, but on first listen I would highly recommend.

Congrats to Graham on a nice piece of work.
markus

Post by markus »

markus wrote:Oh and all tracks can be downloaded as mp3 too, but at £0.68 plus 17.5% VAT all 13 tracks would be £10.40...
Strangely, Bleep is substantially cheaper:
http://www.bleep.com/?bleep=SKALD080
N.JOHNSON

Subtracks

Post by N.JOHNSON »

I got my copy of Subtracks yesterday. Substandard? Errr NO! :D. Excellent album. It took so long to get coz i preordered off Play.com and they don't seem to have it in. So i cancelled it and ordered from Boomkat. Was here in a couple of days.

Well it is certainly a colourful album sound wise. Due to it's theme there is a certain level of ambience in the tracks but it also has a retro electro feel. It's like the bastard child of The Orb and Kraftwerk in places and thats no bad thing. But all the time you can pick out the hard edge and style we know and love from 808 state. Graham seems to have a winning formula and style bouncing along a constant time line from early 808 through to this, his first solo album. I think i need a few more plays until i really like some of the more bizarre tracks but one that stuck out in my mind as being a monster classic on the very first play is track 12, EL RAY DE RAY. This reminded me of the glory days of 808 State when they produced ambient, melodic master pieces like Pacific, Lift and Olympic.

I like this album better than Outpost Transmission already. Don't get me wrong, Outpost was ok, i like it, (it was so long a wait from when Don solaris was released that we were ready for a new 808 album and new direction of style) but this is the album the new 808 State album should have been. Until we get to explore the next 808 studio album, Subtracks is a great bridge between the two. Also given the quality of the arrangements on Subtracks I can't wait to hear Graham's next solo album. Keep up the good work Mr Massey and don't rest too long. Your Fans need you!

Respect

Nick. :wink: :D 8)
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

I too am waiting for Play.com to get them in stock, the waiting adds to the excitement and am relishing hearing this album. I'm a BIG fan of ambience, thanks for the report.
808state's Tartan Army

Re: Subtracks

N.JOHNSON wrote:......Until we get to explore the next 808 studio album, Subtracks is a great bridge between the two......
Do we know if there is ever going to be a new 808 album at any point? It's already 5-and-a-half years since OT was recorded and 4 years since it was released. Personally, I thought OT was going to be the last one and the coming re-issues are going be the icing on a very delicious cake. I hope I'm wrong though.