Gerald Simpson & Graham Massey live acid set 6 Oct 07

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

nickking

Post by nickking »

styler wrote:
Saturday 6th October 2007 @ Wang, London
guest will include:

REBUILD - A Guy Called Gerald & Graham Massey (808 State)
Simian Mobile Disco
Andrew Weatherall
Uncle Buck
F*****g hell, that is 1 great line up!!!

Really digging the SMD album at the minute and Weatherall is always good, but it's all about the headliners eh?!!!!
Nah, I'm there to see all the bands (never heard of Uncle Buck, though) - a good excuse to see Simian Mobile Disco and Andy Weatherall! :D
markus

Post by markus »

Due to my 808 t-shirt I was approached by a bloke from M/cr (one out of a group of 13 mancs!) at the SMD gig in Amsterdam who said he was also going to the Wang event. If you're reading this, get in touch, I couldn't find you any more after the gig.
Last edited by markus on 31 Jul 2007 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

were you the only person wearing one or was there a big group? :)
markus

Post by markus »

Which hotel (if any) are people staying at?
nickking

Post by nickking »

From Gerald's Myspace blog:

"Seminal Manchester acid house legends Gerald Simpson and Graham Massey perform LIVE together for the first time since 1989. Utilising only the original analog hardware machines, Graham and Gerald will be performing a ’back in the day’ ultra rare live acid set under the name of "REBUILD" - A Guy Called Gerald and Graham Massey (808 State). This is a unique chance to see two of the founding fathers of the uk dance scene back together, playing live for the first time in nearly 20 years."

:)
markus

Post by markus »

Ah, finally, the press-release :-) Nice one.
nickking

Post by nickking »

markus wrote:Ah, finally, the press-release :-) Nice one.
Absolutely, now just got to find out where to get tickets from! :P
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

keep us informed nick!
markus

Post by markus »

I'd be happy even with a flyer for now.
nickking

Post by nickking »

Well, mentioned in the latest International DJ magazine:

"A one-off chance to get right back to the source - originator's ahoy!

It may be owned by very few people who listen to dance music these days, but no one can deny the importance of 808 State's 'RE-Build' (sic!) LP as a landmark in the emergence of acid house. The futuristic twisted and downright dance-y use of the 303 on the record inspired pretty much everyone making beats at the time, and thanks to a re-issue a few years back a new generation of acid lovers have had a chance to see where it all began. Now, against all odds Graham Massey and A Guy Called Gerald have been persuaded to reunite and turn out this classic album completely live, using nothing but hardware, true to the machine-fuelled glory of the original record. The pair haven't played live together since 1989.

The party is being organised by Wang, a crew of free party survivors who have been throwing electronica bashes around London and beyond since the late '90s. This is their first stint in the increasingly popular Corsica Studios (Nick: Nope, the first one was in early August!) with Simian Mobile Disco and Andrew Weatherall completing an all-star line-up for what should be a truly unique set.

Corsica Studios, Elephant Rd, London, SE17. 10pm-6am. £10. Saturday 06/10. REBuild, Simian Mobile Disco, Andrew Weatherall. www.wanging.com "
nickking

Post by nickking »

From another website:

"Here’s an exclusive: On October 6th (my birthday by the way, feel free to send cards and money via Big Shot), A Guy Called Gerald will take part in an event in Corsica Studios, London. Located under the arches of Elephant and Castle, he will, for the first time in over ten years, join forces with Graham Massey. For those of you too young to remember, this means a reunion of the band that gave us the immense “Pacific,” Manchester’s very own 808 State. (OK, so they are one guy short, but he never really did much anyway!). The Wang club night that hosts this event has built up a quality reputation over the years, and is now looking to add to it with this incendiary combination."

Hmmm... :-?
markus

Post by markus »

nickking wrote:This is their first stint in the increasingly popular Corsica Studios (Nick: Nope, the first one was in early August!)
Correction: Corsica Studios also host other raves :-)
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Just looking at ways to get to this. Might go by train on the Saturday and hang around the area for the day, go to gig then get the 8.14am train back home on the Sunday. I'm sure there are a few places open for brekkie I could hang around for a couple of hours after the gig before the train home.

£62.50 return, not bad (excluding gig tickets and breakfast :wink: )
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

good man steve, i've even hanged around all night in manchester to get first train home back to watford!
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Pete wrote:good man steve, i've even hanged around all night in manchester to get first train home back to watford!
Yeah, I remember walking around Brixton at 5 in the morning waiting for the underground to open after the MASS gig, not clever.

Still, it's only once every few years.

Theirs an elephant and castle pub that do accommodation across the road, anybody else found any digs in case of a possible stayover ?