new book "unlocking the Groove"

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Pob, markus, nickking, Ancodia

graham

new book "unlocking the Groove"

Post by graham »

features a cd with cubik(kings country perspecitve)
and interview about beat programing with me
and loads of other people like underworld,carl craig,kenny larkin,jeff mills
etc..Markus gets a thanks in the front.
havent read it yet ..postmans just delivered it
its by Mark j Butler indiana universty press ,so expect some egghead qualitys i guess...

markus

Post by markus »

Blimey, I had no idea. Didn't even know it came out. :)

graham

Post by graham »

must have just come out, its subtitled Rhythm,meter,and musical design in electronic dance music,
theres a lot about dj ing and lots of drum notation ,

graham

Post by graham »

im also suprised that perfect songs finaly gave permision for inclusion ,thought that was going to drag on and on ,a few phone calls and e mails involved there. So we should be proud of the fact that 808state.com is a valuable academic resoarce. in fact the forums notice board is quoted in this book.. on the subject of academia,.Some one was telling me that "A short film about chilling"is used on the music management coarse at LIPA (liverpool
institute of performing arts) how and why i cant figure out ,but i guess its
something to do with the farms manager..

markus

Post by markus »

Yes, I see on Amazon that the book had a March release date in the UK and April in the US. Both hard & soft backs available. Will try to get in touch with Mark and let ya'll know where the best place to purchase is.

markus

Post by markus »

Spoke to Mark and this is what I've just put on the news page:

A new book called Unlocking the Groove: Rhythm, Meter, and Musical Design in Electronic Dance Music by Mark J. Butler is available. It explores the diverse ways in which electronic dance music shapes time. It discusses the work of a variety of musicians, including 808 State. The book is available through many online bookstores as hardback (cloth) as well as softback. Both editions include a CD which features samples of Cubik (Kings County Perspective version). Cubik is not included in full length. Direct links to softback copies: buy from amazon.com or buy from amazon.co.uk. Publisher: Indiana University Press. ISBN: 0253218047.
P.S. Even if you live in Europe, it's probably cheaper to buy the book from amazon.com rather than the import from amazon.co.uk.
Last edited by markus on 16 May 2006 20:12, edited 2 times in total.

Rodders

Post by Rodders »

just ordered mine now, not too happy though, amazon.co.uk have it up for about 20 quid, and it's only 18 USD on the amazon.com site :(

markus

Post by markus »

Maybe you can cancel the order if it hasn't been shipped yet. I guess since it's an American book, it's treated as an import by Amazon UK. :(

Rodders

Post by Rodders »

:( i've just started using the 1-click ordering system, it was processed before i noticed the difference. ah well. anyone else (in the UK at least) - you can save a fiver by ordering it from the US website, with shipping it still works out around £15.

markus

Post by markus »

Received the book today (not free, I had to buy it).
graham wrote:im also suprised that perfect songs finaly gave permision for inclusion ,thought that was going to drag on and on ,a few phone calls and e mails involved there.
Let's not praise Perfect Songs too much - Graham, have you listened to the CD? There are actually only samples of Cubik on the CD. In total three sniplets between 15 and 20 seconds long. Other samples include Jeff Mills, Plastikman, Carl Craig, James Ruskin, Kenny Larkin, Underworld and Mario Piu. *However* the tracks by Craig, Ruskin, Larkin, Piu, Plastikman and Underworld are aditionally included in full length. Total length of the CD is 59:16, so it's not as if it would have been a problem to fit in the full length of Cubik...
I'm editing my news items to reflect this piece of news, it would be a shame if a completist bought the book just because of the inclusion of Cubik when it's not on the CD in it's entirity.
I haven't read the Massey interview yet, but it has to be said that it's an academic book and it helps if you are a trained musician to understand it. :)

Rodders

Post by Rodders »

yes, it's quite a weighty tome isn't it... i haven't got past the acknowledgements yet! :D it looks good though, will get stuck into it this weekend. nice to see markus and the site getting a shout.

markus

Post by markus »

Yes, absolutely, I'm thrilled with that :)