808 2008

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

N.JOHNSON

808 2008

Post by N.JOHNSON »

Hi everybody

Well 2008 is drawing to a close and what a great year it was for 808 State. Re releases of back catalogue albums with bonus discs, live appearances (which sadly i could not get to any of them) and best of all Quadrastate, remastered and released finally on glorious CD.
So what about 2009? I am hoping for a new album, or maybe even a mention of a new album for release sometime in 2010. Erasure keep knocking out new albums even though they are not really in the public eye anymore and like 808 they have a big fan following and thus sell albums. Maybe 808 should sign to Mute Records! ha ha. Seriously!
I am also hoping Mr Massey has some more exclusive tracks for the sounds page. A new CD cover for downloadable tracks is already planned for when we have an albums worth of new material. Any ideas for a name for the album? Maybe markus could arrange a competition to pick a name, just for fun.
Well we will have to wait and see what 2009 brings. Thankyou to Markus and everybody who keeps this web site running, keeping the dream alive :wink: . Thankyou to Graham, Andy and Darren for all you have given us but like drug addicts awaiting our next fix of 808 material your fans continue to want more. . . or maybe thats just me :D .

Happy New Year to all!!!!!!

Nick
Pob

Post by Pob »

I wish there was something I could add to your post, Nick, but alas you covered everything.

The only thing I could add is that I did get to my first ever 808 gig this year and I also had my pic taken with Mr Massey at the Manchester Gallery Duos gig (cheers again, SteveC) :P :P

Roll on 2009.

On the subject of record contracts....what's to stop 808 flogging stuff on their own 'net label?
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Unfortunately, as I understand it, 808 are officially 'retired' when it comes to producing new material. Long live the live gigs, the back catalogue being released on the sounds page and the 808 community in general.

Happy New Year!!
N.JOHNSON

Post by N.JOHNSON »

808 State RETIRED!! Surely not. Come on guys you have got more cool tracks in you yet. Look at Jean Michel Jarre. He is still going strong and although his last album was so different from what we have all come to accept as Jarre's style it did show he can re-invent himself in modern times just as Madonna does.
As Pob as surgested releasing stuff on their own "Net Label", that would be cool, ha ha. Imagine. . . CREED DIGITAL.
Well if they are truly retired thats a damn shame for such an influential electronic group. I mean they pretty much created Britsh Techno and went on to become so much more than just another dance music act. All the fans still love em and newbies to their music can only wonder in awe at what these guys were like back in the day. Come on Graham, Andy and Daz, get back to the Studio and give us some kick ass dance tracks. . . You've been away for far too long.
markus

Post by markus »

N.JOHNSON wrote:808 State RETIRED!! Surely not.
This has been on Graham's myspace page ever since he started it:
"Compared to Concorde ( still futuristic in a classic way,Retired but wheeled out for occasional airshows )... "
This one has been answered several times on the forum, maybe we should make it a FAQ. 808 aren't retired, but not recording new album material. Basically you'd need someone who will finance an album. So NickJ, if you've got a few grands knocking about, or know someone who has... ;) Also you may have noticed, we're not exactly in the thousands on this forum. Then there's the record industry crisis, and that other crisis...
I'm just glad they haven't split up. A live album, that's the only thing we haven't had yet. That's my hope. Happy 2009.
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

i was looking forward to hearing their new track, YES YES YES with Daz on vocals!

:wink:
G

Post by G »

what does an album cost to make? Don Solaris for example...

I just signed a nice deal for my work....minted just now and would be interested in getting the lads in the studio :wink: maybe to ease my financial comitment we could do a whip round instead :-?

10-20.000 GBP?
20-40.000 GBP?
50.000+ GBP?

Wayouwan? ow much you wangive me? Ooooh you man with black heart :P
nickking

Post by nickking »

What I'm hoping for is a Sisters Of Transistors album - that should be a more realistic aspect for 2009! :)

Oh, and where is that North At Its Heights reissue and the update to 808:88:98? :P :wink:

8)
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

808:88:08

with a lemon soul / 106 double a single, would do well now i think !
David

Post by David »

Following on from G what would a new album cost?

Investors could be sought..

Also do 808 have new material pending/in their heads so if a studio was booked-they could pin down some new tracks?

Thanks

David
Pob

Post by Pob »

The topic of this thread is changing somewhat but there is a web site called http://www.slicethepie.com/ that allows the public to invest in unsigned bands.

Anyone can sign up as a fan and you get paid for reviewing the music of the bands. You can then also opt to invest money in the band and when they get enough cash (£15k) they get the money to make an album. Also, the investors get a share of the album sales.

Could be an option?
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

who owns the rights to Outpost Transmission?

i'd love to see a re-issue with bonus disc with tracks inc Quincy, Invader, Doctors & Nurses, Brown Sauce, Fajita, Metaluna, Rollerball, Bartong Bridge etc

surely ztt don't own these?

dreaming again sorry :)
Last edited by PeteB on 08 Jan 2009 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

I can remember Graham saying something about the rights to Outpost returning to the band, I believe he also spoke to ZTT about it whilst discussing the re-releases.

J
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

Pete wrote:i was looking forward to hearing their new track, YES YES YES with Daz on vocals!

:wink:
b side VENGEANCE OF DOO-DOO (in a big way mix)