Dance Music against Trump, Boris & Farage 3 Dec 2019 London

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

markus

Dance Music against Trump, Boris & Farage 3 Dec 2019 London

Post by markus »

Dance Music against Trump, Boris & Farage - 3 Dec 2019 London Trafalgar Sq, includes 808 State DJ set (and A Guy Called Gerald)

markus

Re: Dance Music against Trump 3 Dec 2019 London Trafalgar Sq

Post by markus »

More added to line-up

markus

Re: Dance Music against Trump, Boris & Farage 3 Dec 2019 London

Post by markus »

Flyer variation
David

Post by David »

Life long 808 State fan but I'm disappointed by this.
Keep politics out of music and keep music out of politics.

I see other flyers saying it is a concert against racism which opens up a can of worms.
Too many holes in this.
Trump for example use to have a black girlfriend.
So much of political propaganda is dumbed down by both sides in simple terms and it is more complex than this
I thought 808 State were smarter than this.
And then it leads to other questions...will 808 State ever play in say Israel or will boycott that?
Manchester City are owned by very dubious characters so do we boycott that club and stadium?
Japan is a patriarchal society where women are treated as second class citizens...should 808 stop the love in with Japan?
808 State love Martin Denny but Denny represented American imperialism in Hawaii.
Once you go down this political rabitt hole you cannot go back... and leave yourself open to ridicule.

I dont think I can support 808 State the political act.
SPW

Post by SPW »

David, I hate to break it to you but 808 State and most dance acts from the 80s, early 90s rave days are pretty liberal. You know the Thatcher, Raegan decade. It was no secret back then either. Some records were political in the use of sampling. Techno artist Jeff Mills made the statement recently in an interview that techno today is white and appeals to the medium class. I thought that was a funny statement but pretty much spot on as the Brits would say. Read: Jeff Mills believes political issues are being overlooked in electronic music, largely due to it being "typically middle class" now.
Keep in mind when 808 state started making tracks electronic dance music was a subculture not Disneyland like you see today.
markus

Post by markus »

Yes, David you are entitled to your views and I can see where you're coming from. I certainly have no plans in adding a politics section to this forum. But these are very dark times and let's just go back 25 years, when dancing was made illegal in the UK...
https://www.vice.com/ (How UK Ravers Raged Against the Ban - article is from 2014)
markus

Post by markus »

Latest flyer, more artists added. London people - this is today!

SPW

Post by SPW »

Actually, David or anyone that likes Trump, Boris, or the UKIP can show up at this event and show that you are a Tory, UKIP, or wear a MAGA hat. It doesn’t say you can’t show up at the event and oppose the Labor Party, Jeremy Corbin etc. as long as get tickets. In fact I dare any Tory, UKIP supporter to show up at this event.
markus

Post by markus »

This event was yesterday. As it turned out, the 808 State DJ set didn't go through due to a health virus. So I'm taking the liberty of closing the topic.