Gorgeous re-issue bonus disc proposals (discuss here!)

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

markus

Gorgeous re-issue bonus disc proposals (discuss here!)

Post by markus » 07 Jan 2006 12:24

I'm trying to bring a bit of order into the various Gorgeous discussions. So far we seem to have agreed on
One In Ten Forceable Lobotomy,
10x10 Vox & Beats,
Insane Lover,
Freak,
Timebomb promo mix.

Strangely, everyone seems to have forgotten the unique Moses mix on the US promo CD.

Which versions of Insane Lover and Freak? Both of each?
Insane Lover is my all-time least favourite tracks of all time. The banjo reminds me so much of Rednex' Cotton Eye Joe. Without the banjo it's a great track! But of course some people will love it precisely for the banjo and being a completist I agree it has to be included and in both versions. If we were only allowed one version, which one should we go for? I would prefer the Analogue Mix. At this point, maybe Graham can enlight us if the second mix is actually called Loco (as on sleeve) or Logo (as on label). I always presumed Loco, because that's what this track is - crazy.
Freak: I guess both should go on, but if pressed I prefer the Astroban mix (I really like the slowdown towards the end).

Other suggestions have included the following:

La Luz (both versions available on Bombadin Jap CD)
Olympic '93 (available on Plan 9 CD)
Nbambi (available on Plan 9 CD)
Femme Deluxe (available previously on Forecast CD)
Lemon (available previously on Forecast CD)
Purple Dust (available previously on Forecast CD).
Reaper Repo (available on Timebomb CD)
Plan 9 Choki galaxy mix (available previously on Forecast CD).

They have all been previously available on CD and as such are not extremely rare. If La Luz goes on, the Acid mix is preferred (OK, that's quite rare, as only appeared on Japanese Bombadin). If Reaper Repo goes on, should it be the short mix or the long 12" mix? The long one, right?! :)

Bombadin & Marathon, which version(s), if at all?

I'm compiling results, once we've agreed, in the topic 808 ZTT CD bonus re-issues: proposed tracklistings.

Other discussions so far:

state to state
1 in 10
10x10
gorgeous disco 12
Last edited by markus on 16 Feb 2006 00:10, edited 6 times in total.

Rodders

Post by Rodders » 07 Jan 2006 13:12

i feel bombadin and marathon should be included in some form, as they are gorgeous-era tracks that in my view should have been on the album (along with insane lover (sorry markus!) and freak). my opinion is to choose 1 mix of each (to allow room for other tracks) except for bombadin, as the barta mix and original quica are wildly different from each other yet both a great example of 808's style.

so.. my choice would be:

bombadin - barta mix
bombadin - original quica
marathon - club 12" mix
insane lover - analogue mix
freak - astroban mix
one in ten - forceable lobotomy mix
10x10 - vox
moses - 7" remix
la luz - acid mix
timebomb - promo mix
lemon
purple dust
femme deluxe
plan 9 - choki galaxy mix

the reasons for making these choices is that none of the above tracks have been officially released on CD in the UK, with the exception of bombadin / marathon, which as ive said are gorgeous era tracks that deserve inclusion. la luz, i don't think there's enough difference between both mixes to include both, and i prefer the acid mix. if there's room for any more tracks then by all means put more on, but i feel that at the very least, all the above tracks should be included.

solarex

Post by solarex » 07 Jan 2006 13:42

I fully respect what all of you might feel is the right bonus disc collection. Also the argumentation that promo only tracks & mixes should be in there. Due to rareness. But ain't the Freak/IL promo as accessable as Disco Disc?

I find this a very exiting project. And over the weekend I will try to evaluate the music and history timeline and compile my favourite. Hope I have the time to make the right effort.

PS. Whichever selection it ends up with I just beg for proper mix/mastering, design and packaging. Pet Shop Boys did a similar re-issue with bonus a few years back. Which was nicely done. But of course the income is a little higher.
Last edited by solarex on 07 Jan 2006 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

markus

Post by markus » 07 Jan 2006 13:49

solarex wrote:But ain't the Freak/IL promo as accessable as Disco Disc?

No, as Freak / Insane Loco was vinyl only. All the Disco trax appeared on CD in one form or another. Now, just like you I love vinyl, but keep in mind that most people today don't even own a record player, so they would never hear a track like Insane Lover (God bless them). Make time Solarex, I spent my entire Saturday morning! :wink:

BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN » 07 Jan 2006 16:43

The tracks on Gorgeous that let it down are: Sexy synthesiser, 10x10 and timebomb. Saying that if I could change the tracklisting on the album I would leave Sexy Synthesiser in because it works well the in the album and gives it a great ending. Actually think Ive realised that I actually like sexy synthesiser!

So 2 tracks that let it down:

I personally think - it would be great to remove the album version of 10x10 from the album and replace it with the black eye mix, then you can have a different mix on the bonus disk - perhaps an unreleased mix or even a new 808 remix??.

Timebomb didnt work for me on the album I thought it was a bit too cheesey compared to the other tracks (including one in ten - which was actually not that bad). It would be great to include another version or new mix on the album (as it has the potential to be a great track) and have the promo unique mix on the bonus. If if this is not possible (as I understand making new mixes can take a lot of work!) I dont think it would spoil album if included. I think including the album version of 10x10 would spoil the album as it is not the best of mixes of that track, (i think my main gripe is with the piano and vocals in the mix) - I dont mind most of the 10x10 mixes.

Sorry about the rant missing the point a bit!, back to the subject - The Bonus CD:

Ten times Ten Black eye unless on the album
One in ten Forceable labotomy
Moses - a new "proper remix"
Freak both mixes (definately)
Insane Lover - 1or2 mixes?? 1 preferable!
Lemon - Gorgeous version or state to state version
Timebomb new remix or the promo mix
Plan 9 - choki galaxy mix or new remix
Olympic 94
Nimbus - different mix, demo or live??
Reaper pepo - Short version (not a lover of this track - not many I dont like)
Bombadin - Demo version (in my opinion this is far the best version-bit of a journey) it would be great to hear this in CD quality.
La Luz one or both mixes??
Nbambi

I got to admit insane lover, la luz, the album version of 10x10 and reaper reapo are probably my least favourit 808 tracks, I do like timebomb but it doesnt suite the album in its current form (i think?!)

Could Lemon be fitted onto the album? If so Could have Lemons (State to State mix) on the Bonus.

I dont think it is worth putting the US released promo version of moses on the CD as its not all that different.

Does any of the following fall into the gorgeous timeline, they should be on the Bonuses as they are good 808 standouts:
Baton Rouge
Variations On Te Deum - Eurovision Theme
Spanish Marching
Mondonet
Minton
And any of the Olympic remixes for the word.

Celestine - never heard but sure its worthy.

Sorry Im going of the subject a bit although I have'nt mentioned Global state or IYF and Fuzz Nasty live versions!!!, Gorgeous is a difficult album to choose from.

solarex

Post by solarex » 07 Jan 2006 17:09

BADGERMAN wrote:Does any of the following fall into the gorgeous timeline, they should be on the Bonuses as they are good 808 standouts:
Baton Rouge
Variations On Te Deum - Eurovision Theme
Spanish Marching
Mondonet
Minton
Mondonet does. And it should be considered as the track is blinding.

BADGERMAN

Post by BADGERMAN » 07 Jan 2006 17:46

I agree!

PeteZarustica

Post by PeteZarustica » 07 Jan 2006 17:53

I think we we have enough space to FILL each disc with things. I agree it would be silly to have all the 10x10 mixes, or even more than one. But when we're talking about rare tracks... all of them should be included.

They also have to sharp up the packaging, maybe sliping some extra paper cover like the PSB did with their Further Listening reissues.

Ancodia

Post by Ancodia » 07 Jan 2006 20:40

Celestine - never heard but sure its worthy
Thanks Badgerman, couldn't remember that one, unfortunately its Don Solaris era

John

markus

Post by markus » 07 Jan 2006 22:14

In answer to Badgerman, I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if there were any budget for new mixes. Personally I don't think putting different mixes on a re-release of an album is a good idea. An album should stand in it's original form. That's what it was meant to sound like at the time.

Something else to re-consider for all those Sexy Reapin Plan Nbambi Deluxe Lemon Olympic Dust fans. Take a look at the tracklisting of Forecast. If we aren't careful, the Gorgeous bonus disc will almost be a re-issue of Forecast...

01 Plan 9 (choki galaxy mix)
02 One In Ten (808 original mix)
03 Reaper Repo (12" mix)
04 Plan 9 (guitars on fire mix)
05 One In Ten (UB40 full instrumental)
06 One In Ten (UB40 vocal)
07 Nbambi (the april showers mix)
08 Femme Deluxe
09 Lemon
10 Purple Dust
11 Olympic '93 (the word mix)

Mark

Post by Mark » 07 Jan 2006 23:28

Totally agree Markus, Gorgeous is almost unique in the fact that it has Forecast that stands along side it as a sort of 'B-side' album.

There's no point in including any of the tracks that were on Forecast in my opinion. Insane Lover and Freak should probably appear, but am I the only 808 fan that hopes some tracks stay true to vinyl and are out there as rarities for us die hards?

The tracks that were used as exclusives on compilations could probably figure as most are still available.

Mark

Post by Mark » 07 Jan 2006 23:30

I did of course forget the Thermo Kings album!!! Which makes it also hard to suggest Don Solaris tracks. Sorry I've had a couple of drinks tonight!!

solarex

Post by solarex » 08 Jan 2006 12:26

Done a lot of 808 listening this morning. My aim was to compile what I feel is Gorgeous era extras. I want the good music on rather than necessary all promo only stuff. Also taking into consideration not to have too much of the same tracks. I know 10x10 sticks out there, but it is a very special case. I also aim to have a album that is enjoyable as a whole from start to finish.

This is my selection AND sequence.

3:58 10x10 (Vox)
Top version from early, mysterious and secret promo release. A pack is not complete without this one. Bonus disc material if any.

4:41 Plan 9 (guitars on fire mix)
One of the more club-ish mixes than the uneven LP version. A great mix all in all.

2:54 Moses (7" remix by 808 State)
I don't know this one. Assume it is very close to LP. But top rare.

4:18 Nbambi (the april showers mix)
Top b-side from the era.

3:20 Femme Deluxe
I believe original bonus material is mandatory. The rareness qualifies too. Plus it is a top track.

4:49 Lemon
I believe original bonus material is mandatory. The rareness qualifies too.

4:21 Purple Dust
I believe original bonus material is mandatory. The rareness qualifies too. Plus it is a top track.

4:16 One In Ten (forceable lobotomy)
Original demo, with old school 303. The track and mix is not as good as the LP version, but it is pure bonus disc material. And it is nice to have the UB40 vocal omitted once in awhile.

3:51 Timebomb [unique mix]
Promo only version that battles the album version. Omittes the '808' speak'n'spell, which is great. Sounds a bit flat on the promo 12", remastering is desirable.

5:39 Bombadin (barta mix)
Sort of era track, that fit better here than and Don Solaris era. And the track should be inclosed somewhere on the bonus issues. My favourite mix.

4:54 Marathon (club 12" mix)
Sort of era track, that fit better here than and Don Solaris era. And the track should be inclosed somewhere on the bonus issues. I really love 4:20 Marathon (drumapella) and doubted to the very last if it was that one or the original.

6:40 Freak (astroban mix)
Promo only from the era. My favourite mix.

4:15 10x10 (black eye mix)
Great pumping remix. Omits the singing. Great.

5:33 La Luz (acid mix)
B-side of the era. My favourite mix.

8:24 Reaper Repo (12" mix)
B-side of the era.

3:57 10x10 (Beats)
I want both. I like instrumentals.

I do not know the 3:41 Plan 9 (Unlabeled DJ Edit). Allow me to assume it is only an edit and omit it. Please debate.

As for Insane Lover I go along with Marcus. Leave this one on the promo.

I omit all State 2 State material, as at least a good handful is Gorgeous recording session and style. Nothing obvious. Besides I think the album should be regarded as an 808 State bonus pack of it own. It is rare thing from a strange project and should remain as that.

Total running time 74:36. I only hope the discog times are true. Should be possible. If it is just too much I will compromise the long version of Reaper Repo and take the short.

4:56 Olympic '93 (the word mix) is Ex:El bonus material.
Last edited by solarex on 08 Jan 2006 14:06, edited 2 times in total.

nickking

Post by nickking » 08 Jan 2006 12:33

As long as we got the promo mix of Timebomb on there, plus the Moses edit (for those who haven't heard it) and the Forceable Lobotomy mix of "One In Ten" (for John Ancodia!), then I'd be a happy man! :D
Last edited by nickking on 08 Jan 2006 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

markus

Post by markus » 08 Jan 2006 19:05

In response to Soren's suggestion, glad you've removed State2State tracks, but Nbambi Femme Deluxe Lemon and Purple Dust all in one row, please not. Good point about the Plan 9 DJ edit, will check that out, but don't think there is much difference.

Another idea: "The april showers mix" of Nbambi, would that suggest that there is an unreleased version somewhere, e.g. the Snow In January mix? Graham?