How busy are Darren and Andy?

Discuss 808 State and related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

How busy are Darren and Andy?

Postby Pob » 28 Feb 2006 13:48

It has been 4 years since Outpost was released (yep, I was surprised too!). That came 6 years after Don Solaris which was 4 years after Gorgeous. Surely we're due a new album soon.

What are D&A doing? They never post on here. I've only ever seen 1 post from Andy, so what are they doing?

I know it is very exciting with the news of the reissues (I'm still convinced it will be a 20 year anniversary release) which is probably taking up a lot of Graham's time (along with ToolShed and Biting Tongues and every other pie he's got a finger in).

Many people have suggested new material during the reissue discussions. I'm actually only looking forward to the reissues so I can get hold of the bonus discs because it is new, unheard 808 that I want. I've bought Ex:El three times and 90 twice so I will only be buying them again to get stuff I've not heard.

Don't get me wrong. I think the reissues are a great way to celebrate 20 years of the state and if it manages to educate the new generation of so-called dance music lovers then it is well worthwhile. But for us who've been there and done that it is new stuff that hits the spot.

I must thank Graham and Markus for the exclusive tracks. I often think that I don't show my appreciation enough for them but I really do look forward to them.

PS Anyone got a spare Forecast CD they want to offload?
Pob

Postby SteveC » 28 Feb 2006 15:06

Not the where the hell are Daz and Andy debate again.

I'm sure both Andy and Daz read the website as guests and are flattered by the comments and input that goes into the site, they'd just rather spend time boozing, travelling and DJing than post messages, wouldn't we all.
SteveC

Postby Pete » 28 Feb 2006 18:18

i'm sure they'll be new album news in a month and a 1 days time (from ancodia)
Pete

Re: How busy are Darren and Andy?

Postby markus » 28 Feb 2006 22:40

Pob wrote:It has been 4 years since Outpost was released (yep, I was surprised too!). That came 6 years after Don Solaris which was 4 years after Gorgeous. Surely we're due a new album soon.

Maybe it's time for Graham to make a general statement about this. I could then include it in the FAQs, because this question won't be the last time it's asked...

Pob wrote:What are D&A doing? They never post on here. I've only ever seen 1 post from Andy, so what are they doing?

It would be nice, but nobody's obliged to post on here you know. An answer to the first question may shed more light on this though.

Pob wrote:Many people have suggested new material during the reissue discussions. I'm actually only looking forward to the reissues so I can get hold of the bonus discs because it is new, unheard 808 that I want. I've bought Ex:El three times and 90 twice so I will only be buying them again to get stuff I've not heard.

I think you may have misunderstood the 'new material'. The bonus discs are about rare and unreleased material of that era. I think the only 'new' material which was under discussion was remakes of classic tracks, e.g. newer live versions of Donkey Doctoer, or Pacific 98 etc. And one track played live during the 2005 tour, it was just previously unheard, not necessarily new as such, as far as I know. P.S. I have sixteen variations of ex:el, but not yet in 22bit, hehe.

Pob wrote:I must thank Graham and Markus for the exclusive tracks. I often think that I don't show my appreciation enough for them but I really do look forward to them.

Thanks, glad to hear it.

Pob wrote:PS Anyone got a spare Forecast CD they want to offload?

Pops up on ebay every now and then from japanese sellers.
markus

Postby nickking » 01 Mar 2006 00:04

I would guess, given the fact that 808 don't currently have a recording contract (and the fact that recording albums takes a lot of money - studio time, producers, vocalists, etc), then there aren't any immediate new tracks on the horizon?

As I say, entirely guesswork, but if you don't have someone to pay the bills, then spending time recording new stuff/writing songs/rehearsing is a bit of a luxury...? :-?
nickking

Postby SteveC » 01 Mar 2006 10:41

Theres a big marketing opportunity in 2 years time for a record company to jump on the 20 years of 808state bandwagon. ZTT seem to be an obvious choice, maybe it will depend on the success of the re-issues.
SteveC

Postby nickking » 01 Mar 2006 11:28

Fingers crossed! :)

With regards the reissue programme, it will have the benefit of actually putting 808 State CD's out on record shop racks, so that people will have a chance of buying them. Sure, the bonus discs will be loved by us (and hopefully a lot more fans out there who don't visit these boards), but it's the general availability of 808 product that interests me a lot.

If that allows 808 to get a recording contract for an album or two, then that would be the ultimate! 8)
nickking

Postby SteveC » 01 Mar 2006 14:01

I'd be interested to know if 808 still meet up in the studio to record new material, but as you say Nick this involves funding by a record company, of which 808 don't currently have. If a new album were to be released in 2 years you would expect the need to lay down track ideas now, a catch 22 situation.
SteveC

Postby markus » 01 Mar 2006 17:00

Shock update: just had a call from Darren and he is getting a computer! So who knows, before long he might be on here.
Last edited by markus on 01 Mar 2006 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
markus

Postby Pete » 01 Mar 2006 18:29

what one. a zx spectum?
Pete

Postby Mark » 01 Mar 2006 21:54

LOL, are you sure its not a Playstation or something?

I think Graham needs to come forward and make a comment on the future (or immediate future) of 808 State, this will put us all out of our misery and put some of the questions to bed.
Mark

Postby newbuild » 05 Mar 2006 04:32

808 release their uber-impressive back catalogue-with unreleased tracks-and singles with b-sides and all...(guess-please!)
while quadrastate we will with hope see a release this year? pleeeeeeseeeee!

808 meanwhile record and release new material in tandem...is this-wishful thinking?

...i hope NOT!

voodoo ray ep available for download on bleep.com!
finally-thanks guys!!!

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel the power of my heart...i need to know your mind...
newbuild

Return to 808 State discussion